IRISH cooking

It seems we don’t have a dedicated Irish cooking thread.

I have a few Irish recipes I would like to make.

3 Likes

A regular in our rotation:

4 Likes

Very timely. I made a cottage pie with champ topping from Patrick Taylor’s An Irish Country Cookbook day before yesterday. Just the thing for the filthy weather over the past couple of days.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about making Dublin Lawyer for Xmas Eve. Lobster in a whisky cream sauce.

5 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed Donal Skehan’s food programmes on Food Network UK, although they are now a few years old. I have it in mind that, also a few years back, he immigrated to the States.

1 Like

Weather here is perfect for Dublin Coddle and some Irish Soda bread.

2 Likes

That sounds delicious

1 Like

I’ve made a few items out of ‘An Irish Country Cookbook’ by Patrick Taylor (accompanies his ‘Irish Country Doctor’ series of novels). Guinness items were fine. I’ve copied a few of Rory O’Connell’s recipes from his shows on PBS’ Create. Meh. I’d really like to go to the Irelands and slurp up all the seafoods.

1 Like

Hey there! That’s awesome you want to explore Irish cooking. What recipes are you thinking of trying? Whether it’s traditional Irish stew, colcannon, or soda bread?

2 Likes

Boxty - or “potato cake” as it’s more generally known in Great Britain, is a regular part of a cooked breakfast at Harters Hall. Although we usually buy packs at the supermarket and keep them in the freezer, rather than make our own. A change of carb from, say, toast, fried bread or Staffordshire oatcake.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Eggs Benedict on a potato oancake or hash brown patty. I make more of a Florentine (sauteed spinach), Norvegienne (smoked salmon )or Blackstone (tomato and streaky bacon) at home, rather than a Benedict (ham, peameal bacon or Canadian bacon)

I will make a proper boxty or potato cake soon.

2 Likes

Love the idea of EB on a potato pancake. I will try this. Love some tarragon in the hollandaise, too.

1 Like

Ottolenghi does Ireland.

Making this for dinner tonight:

3 Likes

Spicebag / Spice Bag- I had not heard of it until this week.