I just ordered six dozen oysters!

I was wondering about that!

@shrinkrap, thanks for posting the many oyster preps! I saved, and am planning to make the F&W pan roast. I don’t care for oysters on the half shell, although I’ve tried. It’s most certainly a texture thing. I do love them lightly cooked, in various ways. We like to put whole ones on the grill, but only wait until we see steam coming out of the oysters, rather than waiting for them to pop open. This ensures, you don’t get a shrunken overcooked bivalve. However, I do understand any amount of cooking is heresy for some people. Hope you enjoyed your oysters!

I too was wondering why @Presunto, was limiting to 1 dozen oysters per week. Thanks for the clarification! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I suspect I have more than 30 left, so stay tuned, but I did enjoy 11 of the first 12. One I probably should have tossed, but did a hail Mary.

I just ate a dozen raw with mignonette, while watching the latest episode of top chef

Planning to watch again, with a few broiled with some compound butter I had layin’ around.:blush:

Sort of, but not exactly this.

4 Likes

Looks good!

I’m picking up my dozen from the market fishmonger this afternoon. Fri and Sat are the weekly markets in the big city 10km from my small town. I order seafood from “my” main fishmonger every week but also buy seafood from other fishmongers. Then I carry everything home on the back of my bicycle.

3 Likes

The last sdozen are still alive and full of juice. I’ve tried aguachile,

AND I’ve found myself with a little liquor from several days ago. Do i dare drink it?

I have to be totally honest with you. Eight day old oysters. You’re a braver soul than I am. And now we have 8 day old oyster juice to contend with. Go for it if you want to.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I opened one last night that was clinging to life as desperately as those on the first day. Pretty amazing! I’ve read they can live for two weeks if you store them right, but in the past they have not held on to as much liquor as these. But I’ll probably not sip the liquor I kept for some reason I don’t recall.

Call 911 if I don’t check in here every day.

2 Likes

I’m good with 8 day old oysters. Properly refrigerated and handled they last up to 2 weeks, much longer than beef, pork, or chicken.

2 Likes

I will slurp that juice down. Oysters are alive until shucked and if they give up a fight they’re good.

This was was liquor that was somehow in excess of what I gulped with the first thirty oysters. Not sure how that happened, but I think I saved it if I thought it might spill, when shucking. What would make oyster liquor extra sketchy? Does it harbor germs or parasites or a new covid or something?

1 Like

Just briny goodness.

1 Like

Inspired by @Presunto, @jcostiones and

http://cocinacalifornia.com/2020/03/14/oyster-aguachile/

Extra oyster juice

3 Likes

Oysters! Free shipping for Labor day from TWO sources! Fifty today, two dozen next month ( I hope! Grassy Bar from Giovanni’s Fish Market on October 1st). These are Row 34 from Island Creek, bowls down on ice packs at 40 degrees F. I’ll cover with a wet towel or another ice pack. They say I have about 5 days.

6 Likes

Those would last about five seconds here.

3 Likes

Day 10 and I just ate some of the last dozen or so, and they are still clinging to life more than I am.

These were from last Sunday; a week ago.

These were from today.

3 Likes

Free shipping of within California

Use Coupon Code: CAFREE
Offer Expires 3/19/23

2 Likes

This time just “Pacific” and “Pacific Gold”. Not sure what that means. I think gold are bigger.

Won’t be hard to dispense with 2 dozen, but additional suggestions welcome.

And mingonette?

3 Likes

The smaller ones survived the trip better.

1 Like

I wouldn’t eat an oyster that doesn’t move!