Homemade flavored water

My babe loves chia seeds hydrated in coconut milk/cream!

Adorable! And itā€™s fantastic when made with canned coconut milk.
I think the best one i ever had was at this kinda intense raw vegan restaurant and they used the flesh of young coconut with cashews and coconut oil; it was really creamy and rich.
This place- (they make killer soups too)
http://www.quintessencenyc.com

1 Like

You may have just solved a mystery for me!

A sushi place in South Pasadena (Tokoro, I think - I donā€™t really recommend it) serves an iced tea that tastes of toasted grains, and I love it! Iā€™ve asked what it was but ran into a language barrier - assumed it was some sort of toasted rice, but barley makes more sense.

Thank you!

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s genmaicha you had. Should be available at an Asian supermarket.

1 Like

Ah, another definite possibility!

Even if it isnā€™t what I was served, this definitely sounds very appealing - since I live in the San Gabriel Valley, I have access to MANY Asian grocery stores (and now yet another reason to go browsing their aisles!). Thank you!

2 Likes

If you eat Chia Seeds do you grow vegetation all over your body?

3 Likes

I think that can be roasted buckwheat seeds tea, also called Soba-cha. It is quite close to Genmaicha in taste, which consists of green tea leaves and toasted brown rice. I like both!

1 Like

No, the chia pet only grows in your tummy. :wink:

1 Like

Weā€™ll finish the pitcher of Joejitos today (my Joe rarely drinks and the Joe next door doesnā€™t drink at all so strawberries were added to mojitos instead of rum,) and will make a new pitcher of flavored water today. Maybe strawberry basil since both are plentiful in the garden. Ginger-mint-lemon-cucumber is the usual around here.

2 Likes

Still enjoying flavored waters, pineapple cores remains my personal fav.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a recent convert to shrubs. Made a bunch this summer and drank them mostly in sparkling water or just plain cold water. Also superb in cocktails.

Iā€™ve tried ginger, fennel, watermelon-lime, mango-pepper, lemon, and orange so far. All using a cold method rather than the boiled method. Really lovely, and a big crowd pleaser.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve done Blueberry-Ginger, Strawberry & Balsamic, Pineapple & Jalapeno, Pomegranate & Rosemary & Rhubarb. All delicious but I like the Rhubarb the best. Peaches are in so next up is Peach-Lavender.

2 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™ve been rinsing out the saucepan after making jam or compotewith some water, then pouring it into a couple glasses, which I leave in the fridge. More like a fruit drink than an infused water. So far, Iā€™ve done this with plum jam, strawberry jam, blueberry jam and raspberry jam.

Iā€™ve been enjoying them a lot. I often infuse water with strawberries, raspberries or nectarines.