The time has come

Thanks, I’m not really a beer fan but am considering some on these gawd awful hot days!

I will look into those. Thank you!

Wonderful! Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

I really love lapsang souchong - though I’m not a fan of smokey whiskeys. Agree with Auggie, try and find a good quality lapsang. Other teas I love are oolong and darjeeling, some of them are pretty subtle.

And some pu-erh teas will give you that smokiness, along with the fermentation notes that come from aging, but with any fine tea it’s worth it to seek out the real deal from reputable tea sellers.

My favorite non-alcoholic bev is: The microplance zest of a Meyer lemon, juice of the lemon, ice and water. No sugar necessary. Divine.

1 Like

They really have come a long way with NA brews. Now that smaller guys are entering the market, there should be some great options and more coming.

3 Likes

These Seedlip mocktails and non-alcoholic spirits are becoming more popular in Canada

I haven’t tried any non-alcoholic wines.

I have tried some local grape juices that aren’t sweet, from specific grapes, that are sold in wine bottles, but I prefer regular concord grape juice.

I’m almost a teetotaler (sometimes I go 6 months without a drink, some months I drink 3 or 4 drinks) . I probably won’t be drinking this fall. My go-to drinks are iced tea, lemonade, Arnold Palmers, apple or blackcurrant schorle (half juice and half sparkling water/soda) , Earl Grey, Masala Chai or various forms of coffee.

Occasional virgin Caesar (clamato juice with a dash of hot sauce/horseradish and a dash of Worcestershire.)

I order virgin margaritas and daiquris when I see them offered.

1 Like

There’s a renewed interest in shrubs, and they make a nice mocktail mixed with sparkling water or tonic water. Here’s one from the NYT: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022918-sweet-bay-peppercorn-shrub

2 Likes

I was sure this thread would be about oysters!

1 Like

I went on a shrub spree a few years ago, and while my guests loved them in cocktails, I usually drank them in sparkling water or seltzer or even just chilled water because I sometimes have an allergic reaction to alcohol, and they were just lovely without.

I recommend the cold shrub method - Michael Dietsch has a good book on it, some of his recipes are available on the Internet to start.

My favorites were lemon (like a lemonade concentrate but more intense), orange (like a better orangina or aranciata), and blackberry (intense and almost savory). Then you can mix and match fruit and herbs and flavorings. Ginger is pretty fantastic in fall and winter.

4 Likes

Me too, and it continues every summer.

1 Like

Found this older list I wrote:

And this from my original spree:

And here’s the method and a few ideas from the “shrub guy”:

https://hollyandflora.com/2015/03/03/how-to-make-shrubs-aka-drinking-vinegars-3-refreshing-recipes/

2 Likes

Seedlip is increasingly available in the UK. Perfect with Fever Tree tonic for a faux G & T.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m looking forward to my rhubarb late this summer!

1 Like

I am obsessed with this German drink, and get my fill every summer.

Tart, delicious. super-refreshing. Otherwise, I’m pretty much a rhubarb hater.

I’ve been more mindful of my alcohol intake of late. I have found most no alcohol beers disappointing and so have favoured 2-3 % ABV IPA’s instead of the standard no alcohol Lager variety. One no alcohol drink I do like is kombucha made with hops. This is a particular favourite.

1 Like

You don’t have to rely on NA lagers as there are more and more NA IPA on the market now which actually don’t taste bad, like Free Wave (Athletic), Just the Haze (Sam Adams), Juicy IPA (Untitled Art) or IPNA (Lagunitas) to name a few

2 Likes