Greater Toronto Area, Bang for the Buck restaurants, 2024 edition

New Year, new Bang for the Buck thread.

I won’t cap the price range, inflation being what it is.

2023’# $15 and under.

1 Like

I couldn’t decide what to order last night. I decided to order 2 $16 meals, from nearby restaurants to see what I got. That way I’d also have some leftovers for today.

Hawk and Chick Bento Box with karaage chicken, rice, cole slaw and kimchi

Pho Linh’s pork chop and egg cake on rice

Both provided a lot of food.

I liked what I ordered at Pho Linh more. I’ll be back to try more of their menu. Cash only if dining in. Online orders though Ritual.

1 Like

Well, since you’ve removed the price cap, I’d say Fish and Loaf as reviewed by @THECHARLES and @Estufarian recently is great bang for the buck. The premium for specific ingredients at other restaurants is much higher. Their lunch menu is even better value!

3 Likes

Please include a price range for the Bang! :slightly_smiling_face:

Fresca on College St.

$5 slices are hard to beat.

3 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Sadly, I found the quantity of food not filling enough!

2 Likes

A very valid criticism. We ordered more in addition to the lunch set as we wanted try the other dishes.

But the prices on their lunch menu for black cod, king salmon, and iberico pork steak was definitely below “average restaurants” offering the same. Compare for example to Cactus club or other “average restaurants” which charge much more. Their prices for Australian grass-fed beef also comes in below steakhouses than offer the same. However, if you come across any places that offer the same quality ingredients and execution at lower prices, let me know because I’ll be there with you! :smiley:

1 Like

A very valid criticism. We ordered more in addition to the lunch set as we wanted try the other dishes.
But the prices on their lunch menu for black cod, king salmon, and iberico pork steak was definitely below “average restaurants” offering the same. Compare for example to Cactus club or other “average restaurants” which charge much more. Their prices for Australian grass-fed beef also comes in below steakhouses than offer the same. However, if you come across any places that offer the same quality ingredients and execution at lower prices, let me know because I’ll be here with you! :smiley:

Either this is a temporary marketing ploy to attract customers or the Restaurant has lower costs due to bulk purchases. In any case, this is beneficial for us, the customers, who can taste high-quality dishes at lower prices.

Oh yeah, Charles, those bento boxes at Nakamori are an absolute steal. They were also offering them at dinner for a time. Not sure if they still do.

1 Like

Out here in the wilderness of Pickering, Dragon Gem Chinese offers the best bang for the buck. My spouse and I have loved everything we’ve had so far and that’s a lot. We can easily have dinner for two for about $40. It’s really just a storefront, no dine in but luckily only 5 minute drive from home. I love to order in person so I can watch the choreography of the squad of cooks just behind the cash.

3 Likes

I stopped by Tagpuan on College Street, their 5th and newest location, which has a hot table. 1 item with rice was around $14.95 and 2 items with rice were around $17. They let me substitute pancit (noodles) for rice at no charge.

Lumpia are $0.75 each.

I tried a pork with coconut milk and shrimp paste, and a beef stew with peanut butter as my 2 dishes. I’ll definitely be back. Best $18 meal I’ve had in months. They also sell Filipino pork buns, turon, breads and groceries. Nice people.

Sagpuan also serves Filipino breakfast all day.

3 Likes

Not just 2024 but for the wine nerds out there, giving a shout out here to the Terroni restaurants and related (like Stock T.C) for their fair wine pricing (a extreme rarity in Toronto). Not only good value but also excellent selection, in a few cases near (US) market retail for the higher end older vintage ones.

2 Likes

The smoked salmon Benny at Ohiru Café at 370 College is a good one at $18.50. Salad and potatoes are included.

The going rate for good Eggs Benedict in central Toronto seems to be running $20-$25 these days.

4 Likes

Rosemary and Thyme restaurant at 2798 Victoria Park Ave, Scarborough was a very pleasant surprise. Good quality, fast and friendly service and a decent price point make this a very popular destination. Last Saturday, there was a lineup to get in that didn’t stop even after we had finished breakfast. Portions are big enough that many people left with a takeout box of leftovers. It’s the best breakfast spot I’ve been to in a couple of years. Wish I had the presence of mind to take pictures, but if I’m in the area for an earlier meal, this spot is on the “go again” list.

3 Likes

It’s a good greasy spoon. My friend’s family lives nearby, and I’ve brunched there several times prior to 2020. Nice Greek-style omelettes which are not folded, and look more like frittatas.

1 Like

Rosemary and Thyme is a family favorite, great value and tasty food. We avoid weekends though and do weekday brunch, still very busy.

2 Likes

Totally different experience from y’all. My spouse and I found Rosemary & Thyme to be rather meh with one exception. Their home fries were flat out terrible.

2 Likes