What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Looks lovely (and nice to see you on WFD!) – do you have a recipe you like for the char siu?

2 Likes

That stroganoff looks delicious!

We’re pretending that we don’t have an impending snow storm coming tomorrow with mezcal palomas in the style of a local bar:

And crab escabèche, which I made with the last of my stash of frozen peekytoe crab body meat and some Fresno chilies. We had it with tortilla chips.

26 Likes

Thank you it was, I ate too much.

1 Like

That crab is calling out to me.

That’s the spirit!

2 Likes

‘ Wing Tai HK Style Cafe, Richmond Hill ‘ - Returning for more yummy goodies!

Impressed by their offering of some really tasty, casual, authentic nostalgic colonial Hong Kong cafe style snacks and dishes during our recent visit. This evening, we decided to drop-in again for a pseudo-late afternoon tea/early dinner.

We had the following popular and house specialty items:

• Deep fried whole crispy skin Chicken leg and thigh.
  • House special Club sandwich
  • Baked HK style Pork Chop Rice casserole
  • Stirred Fry Beef with flat Rice Noodle (aka Gone-chow-Ngau-Ho)

( complimentary drinks of HK style Milk Tea, Coffee, Lemon tea, Horlicks, Ovaltine, Hot Chocolate……were included )

The verdict?!..another super tasty array of dishes at an incredible price point!

The ultra crispy and crunchy skin, flavourful and juicy fried chicken was as addictively good as before. Its popularity, as reflected by their presence on almost every table top.
The freshly made, piping hot Club Sandwich was one of the best and most satisfying rendition we have eaten recently. Crispy bread, generous filling, ample sauces.
The Baked Pork Chop Rice Casserole, though nothing special, was acceptable and enjoyable. The pork chops were nicely fried, the cheese topping generous and ample, the Tomato sauce very ‘Campbell soup‘ like, augmented by a hint of welcoming Maggi sauce.
Lastly, the ‘Gone-Chow-Ngau-Ho’ was really delectable and commendable. Though visual appeal was lacking. However, the seasoning and taste profile was spot-on, the charred ‘wok-hay‘ aromatic most appealing and the end product practically greaseless. A product worth returning for!

All in all, a most gratifying bash and at $51 before tips……an unbelievably incredible value!

[

](https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10227411437543429&set=pcb.7729692350376687&__cft__[0]=AZXTz8KHy7gFTcjvDNFTvyyzc0tDBCfNyBaI2AzwCPDvfiMI6ButgFLNjcQWbJM244b-cU6emsv1N2fniAi4nMKIrZP5kAoQ9L2W4HB3fIUZxNUdd-Bulzo1sEgPBW3I7d

16 Likes

This is such a great crab recipe! The fennel really sets the crab off :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Spent the afternoon with my sister antiquing in her area on the South Shore. Nothing purchased, but we also exchanged Christmas gifts and watched a parade of 27 turkeys cross their very busy road coming into their yard for evening Scooby Snacks.

Dinner was a craving: meat loaf (1 lb. each of ground beef and pork, an egg, Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp of roasted garlic, s/p, and Panko crumbs). Topped with 2 Tbsp of caramelized onions, cooked at 350° until done, pouring off fat as needed.

Didn’t need gravy or ketchup and will make excellent work sandwiches.

Served with sour creamy mashed potatoes and peas, carrots and corn.

Wine. Oh, and a gift from my sister. It’s like she knows me or something. :wink:

30 Likes

Took mom out for crab cakes. I had Maryland crab soup to start, for an all-crab dinner for the ages (no sides or starch to clutter up the crustacean!)

16 Likes

ATK’s red beans and rice, with last season’s cranberry beans from the garden, Uli’s Andouille sausage, and home-smoked pork belly. Not pictured was coleslaw on the side.

26 Likes

You had me at Brussels sprouts

2 Likes

Chicken piccata. Believe it or not that big slab of meat is one blsl thigh pounded out. I got my piccata confused with milanese and breaded it so the sauce was a little thick but it was delicious and I ate ever last bite. Wild blend gourmet rice, onion, garlic, baby bells cooked in chicken broth. Escarole, red onion, fennel, blood orange salad, honey mustard, blood orange zest dressing. Negroni and wine.

24 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ, including ‘Tuscan nachos’ with homemade chips, prosciutto, burrata, Calabrian chilis, and truffle pesto oil; lobster and crab cake; seared pistachio crusted scallops with winter citrus salsa, and parsnip potato puree; wild mushroom toast with a fried quail egg; 24 oz. dry aged, espresso rubbed, bone in rib steak, with boursin scalloped potato, and grilled butterfly shrimp; French onion gnocchi with caramelized onion, brown butter, and broiled cheese. It all went great with an excellent Zinfandel and cabernet.

14 Likes

Mojo-inspired flanken cut short ribs with cabbage-bell pepper slaw and cilantro-lime rice. The ribs were the star. I put about 15 cloves of garlic through a press then mixed in lime and orange juice, olive oil, soy sauce, jalapeno powder, smoked paprika, cumin, a pinch of cinnamon and a little brown sugar. Marinated the ribs for a few hours and then quickly griddled so the fatty edges got crispy and caramelized. Fantastic.

20 Likes

Kababs, garlic naan, labneh, toum, and fermented chilli paste.

I baked a little marble cake this evening, so I had a piece (okay, fine, two) for dessert.

29 Likes

Pork belly stewed with seaweed, mushrooms and chili pepper

Beef with celery

Stir fried mustard greens

14 Likes

Tonight was our tried and true slow-cooker brisket recipe that uses 12 ounces of beer as the base liquid. We always switch it up, but this time went with Guinness as the brew and it was perfect.

As for the meat, 2.5 pounds, eight hours on high and it was fall-apart tender. Literally it came apart as I was slicing. Picture does not do it justice-- makes it look dry, but it was not!

A close-up of the action. Not a good shot. This meal never photographs well. A VERY brown meal as the sides were roasted potatoes and mushrooms. I also steamed some broccoli.

Mushrooms stole the show. Thick-cut with crisped garlic sautéed in butter and olive oil with a little salt and pepper.

There was a martini!

25 Likes

This sounds and LOOKS amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you. It was. The scallops just melted in your mouth.

1 Like

I had pork chow mein using the last of the bbq’d pork in the freezer. Accompanied by a blanc de blanc using the fancy wine glass purchased at the thrift store :slight_smile:

17 Likes