Favorite ways to cook winter squash?

I was just wishing I knew more about what to do with my newly acquired condiments, Kecap Manis and sambal manis. Thanks to you, I may have my answers.

Dug this up partly as a result of the sweet potato thread,

partly because I bought a kamboucha squash from my CSA as a result, and partly because we have had unseasonably cool-for-us weather, making me think I can think “fall/autumn” along with everyone else, rather than on California time.

My biggest question is about cutting before vs after cooking, and whether how you will proceed matters. I’ve cooked a lot of butternut squash, but this peel seems thicker, and the squash doesn’t seem like it has a huge flesh:fruit ratio.

I want a concentated flavor, and a dry result, and might use it in a curry, but would love to use it in a a cold/room temp salad prep, like the original post.

This kamboucha looks hard to peel.

What if I microwave or roast a bit before peeling and cutting?

Maybe like @biondanonima said, what if I use the microwave to partially cook/soften harder squash so that they’re easier to cut up for roasting?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a great plan to roast the kabocha squash before peeling. Otherwise, it’s a major PITA & your hands will be tired! I’ve used it in a risotto, which was excellent. Would be great in many other preps, but I haven’t tried, due to the fact it’s not mainstream in markets here typically, and also because of the hard shell. I can easily find it in the specialty stores though.

2 Likes

Kabocha peel is edible. I make this fairly often:

4 Likes

Kabocha is one of the winter squashes I have yet to use. If the peel is particularly hard, I would probably try roasting the squash whole then seeing if the skin was soft enough to cut after 20 minutes or so? I do like splitting winter squash at least in half so that the flesh will dry a bit and the sugars will concentrate during baking. I’m good with a wetter texture when using the squash in a bread or as a filling for a tart or pasta.

P.S. Sometimes we get a big Hubbard squash chunk from our fall CSA. It looks like they might crack those mega squash open outdoors with a small axe? :laughing: I’ll have to ask in the coming months if we get a chunk of Hubbard.

1 Like

That recipe and the reviews sound perfect for today.

1 Like

A 3 pound 15 ounce squash and it seems done way sooner than 3 hours at 300 F. This was about 1.5 hours.

Yep. Way done. Not going to be a salad.

3 Likes

I did not even weigh the butternut squash I had. It was impossible to cut it into wedges myself to roast, so I roast them in the. oven at 400 degrees for one hour 15 minutes .Iit was soft with the skin was slightly charred as well. I discard the few seeds and some of the stringy stuff but have not tried to cook it . Perhaps,I will just puree it tomorrow ( very busy day next 2 days with contractors here) and have it as a side dish with baked or grilled wild salmon. I tasted it and it was sweet! I had been giving away my butternut squash bec they were really difficult for me to cut up. as well as the fact that I am working non stop on those evening primrose. Extension Service told me I had to dig the roots as far as 6 inches below so they will not return. I did dig that far down and found some roots there. I can only manage 10 square foot a day. I still have one butternut squash on my counter that I want to roast with beets next week.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of butter and cheese in this recipe!

The puree

2 Likes

Kabocha cooks fast. I’ve only ever cut it up and simmered it. Oh, and made it into pie.

3 Likes

Your kabocha purĂ©e looks so good. Though I realize it isn’t the result you wanted. :disappointed:There’s a Lebanese dish called baked pumpkin kibbeh, which I have yet to master, that I would be thinking of.

Or in this transitional time of year, a mound of spiced squash mash next to a grilled steak or pork chop/slice of pork roast + peppery greens dressed in olive oil.

Oops, my imagination is now running rampant so I will curb my enthusiasm.

3 Likes

My apologies if someone already posted a similar recipe. My favorite is roasting chunks of butternut squash or slices of delicata squash and wedges of apple on a pan with biso chicken thighs. Season with a little white wine, olive oil, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes at 350. Delicious, easy, and makes the house smell great.

2 Likes

I’ve read that people use to haul Hubbards to the second floor and drop them out of a window to break them into pieces!!

5 Likes

Grew and harvested an heirloom variety of a blue Hubbard squash a few years ago; had never cooked with them before, and that big squash was a pure devil!! Somehow I got it peeled from a raw state, so I can appreciate the advice to drop it :joy_cat: my poor hands and arms

One of my favorite preparations of winter squash, is the following, roasted on a sheet pan. Cubes of butternut or similar squash, couple links of mild or hot Italian sausage, removed from casings, and crumbled - cook til done. Season with oregano, marjoram, or Italian seasoning. Meanwhile, cook some orecchiette pasta until done to preference, then wilt some chopped fresh kale in the hot pasta water; drain well, and combine all with the sausage and squash. Add some Parmesan cheese and enjoy. If you want it to be extra, add some caramelized onions. Yum.

5 Likes

This is how it ended up.

2 Likes

Ya, that wouldn’t work in the prep I shared, but it does look delicious. I also like winter squash mashed, and seasoned with Caribbean/Jerk spices, or, in curried soups, typically with a SE Asian flavor profile. Also, the consistency you have would be pretty fabulous in homemade ravioli. A good shortcut for that is to use prepared wonton wrappers, and it’s pretty easy and fun, albeit a little time consuming. I like to finish with browned butter and fried sage leaves. Of course you need to season the squash filling, maybe add some Parmesan or ricotta cheese to it. SautĂ©ed shallots would be pretty heavenly in there too.

2 Likes

Since you like the curried profile, try Dhansak - you can make it vegetarian, just as a soup, or go whole hog with lamb or chicken, and make brown rice (rice with caramelized onions & whole spices) for the whole experience.

3 Likes

That sounds amazing.

This squash was seasoned for the recipe in the Bon Appétit link.

SQUASH

1 3–4-lb. kabocha, buttercup, or kuri squash

3 oz. Parmesan, coarsely grated

œ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

œ tsp. finely grated lemon zest

Kosher salt, freshly ground pepp

2 Likes

Oh, there you go, that would work well, and you could also tweak it to taste. Will be coming to your house for dinner! :grinning:

2 Likes