Favorite ways to cook winter squash?

Thanks for the idea - I’ll add it to next online order, or look for it in the new market that’s opening here on the 7th - just 5 more days, but who’s counting? I’m beyond excited!!

3 Likes

^ This is one of my favorite toppings for roasted winter squash. Yum.

Sage leaves straight out of the garden have work the best for me. Dried sage leaves—too dry on my attempts.

3 Likes

Agree! Lucky to have fresh sage growing.

3 Likes

Outstanding.

4 Likes

That roasted butternut squash recipe looks really good.

Your timing is perfect. The winter months are when I seem to run out of ways to enjoy squash before we run out of squash, LOL.

1 Like

I followed the recipe exactly as written. When my wife goes back for seconds, I know it’s a keeper. If you want a nice, clean square slice, def let it rest a bit before slicing. I have used fresh lasagna sheets and a dried no boil brand and they both worked fine.

3 Likes

Thanks for this intel! I don’t make my own pasta so usually I go the no-boil lasagna route.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t make the sheets…bought them from an Italian grocer. Just avoided AK’s hot water dipping step that time.

2 Likes

Spaghetti squash keeper. Actually made me a convert.

6 Likes

Just made this one.

My slices were less than 1.5 inches. I thought it needed some lime and some heat. What if I combine miso and gochujang? I ended up adding a bit of chili garlic sauce.

Roasting again.

I’m going to try to use it in a salad like the Ina Garten recipe @tomatotomato shared in the original post.

Argh! Except for the "serve immediately ". Why? If it needs to be, help me understand why, otherwise I hate that!

3 Likes

Hi @shrinkrap! Since I first posted, I have made greatly simplified versions of the Ina Garten roasted squash salad linked at the beginning of this thread. No requirement to “serve immediately.”

Sometimes I serve the roasted squash + greens as a warm salad. Sometimes I’ll roast squash ahead of time, and if I have refrigerated it, I let the squash come to room temp before assembling the salad.

Usually I use arugula for the greens to contrast with the sweetness of the squash. I like simple preparations, so good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and flaky salt (like Maldon) has become my dressing of choice.

Nuts are optional for me, though lovely for crunch. Sometimes I use the sweet and spicy pecans from Trader Joe’s because I like their kick. Pomegranates start to be available in my supermarket in November, so I might fancy things up with a garnish of tangy pomegranate seeds.

I love using delicata for roasted squash salads because the skin is edible. Later in the fall/winter it’s usually butternut for me though (peeled before roasting).

Recently I had another riff on roasted squash salad in Biddeford Maine, at a little gem of a place called Magnus on Water. Here the chef used toasted breadcrumbs as the topping for a salad of roasted delicata and nicely peppery local arugula. Wish I had also taken a photo of the menu so I could remember what the cheese was. Oh well.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone!

I’ve got leftovers and so many good ideas! I want to remember sumac/zatar, yougurt, roasted (red?) Oions or shallots, pomegranate or pomegranate molasses, and nutes like pine, almonds or pistachio, maybe raisins, although its already sweet and heavy. Maybe some greens like arugula, and herbs like basil, sage or cilantro.

And what could be wrong with brown butter? And cheese…parmesean?

2 Likes

Heathier and helps it hold together in a curry!

Last night I baked BISO chicken thighs with cubed butternut squash and sliced Lady Alice apples. I seasoned them with olive oil, lemons, and lemon pepper, and baked for an hour at 350. Super easy and super good - leftovers tonight!

1 Like

Oops! I took the peel off and froze some. I took off the peel because much of the freezer advice about cooked winter squash involved purees, but I kept it in roasted slices.

Interesting. I have been peeling butternut squash with a Y peeler and aside from working around the “hips” of the squash, I don’t find it difficult to peel.

(Hips? You know, where the squash goes from cylindrical to bell-shaped?)

As I said, I ended up freezing some. I’m hoping it will work as a puree or soup or curry or something. Suggestions appreciated.

I would steam it and use it in oatmeal

Wow! Definitely hadn’t thought of that! But I will.

Can I put this here? It’s about salad. A funny lead in

" The clamor promises that something exciting is about to start—or even end. But unless you’re entering fourth grade and getting new school clothes and supplies, what really happens? Nothing. You get all hopped up on nostalgia-triggered expectations only to find, long after the leaves have dropped from the trees, that you’re still just you ."

and then there’s a paywall.

I often want to read on. Sometimes I can figure out a recipe.

3 Likes