Favorite ways to cook winter squash?

As I mentioned in another thread, this is the time of year here when winter squash starts to make its appearance. First the smaller varieties like delicata and sweet dumpling. Then come the squash suited to longer storage, like butternut and acorn.

Most often I roast sliced squash on a pizza stone covered in parchment paper. I also tend to riff on this squash salad of Ina Garten’s.

What’s your favorite way to prepare winter squash?

1 Like

Sliced, tossed in olive oil and crushed coriander, black pepper and cumin seeds - and a little pul biber. Then roasted.

Originally an early Jamie Oliver recipe

5 Likes

Is pul biber what I would know as Aleppo pepper? If so, that reminds me I need to get more of the stuff. Thank you—this is a specific spice combo I have yet to try.

1 Like

Halve an acorn squash and scoop out the seeds. Put cut side down in glass dish filled with about 1/2" of water. Microwave until almost tender, 8-10 minutes depending on size. Flip over (it will be HOT), put butter, s&p, brown sugar in the cavity and microwave until the squash is tender.

3 Likes

Yes, it is.

I’d often come across mentions of Aleppo pepper in American cooking but couldnt find it in the UK at all. It was only about 18 months ago that it came back into my mind and I did some serious Googling which found the Turkish name. From there, it was an easy visit to the local Turkish food shop - I must have walked past the pul biber jars many times before without realising that it was actually what I wanted.

3 Likes

Looks like a speedy prep that could be handy for the pile of squash we’ll have soon. Thanks so much. I have never attempted squash—or much else—in a microwave. My cooking life has been strictly old school.

This is the part where I admit that we’ve only had a microwave for the past two years and it’s entirely because the kitchen was equipped with one when we moved in. :wink:

2 Likes

I mostly use the micro for reheating and for the popcorn maker, but it’s handy for squash.

2 Likes

Here in New England, we use an old fashion oven for this method. And then drizzled with maple syrup for the last 10 minutes. Highly recommend.

3 Likes

I have never nuked a squash to complete doneness, but I do use the microwave to partially cook/soften harder squash so that they’re easier to cut up for roasting.

6 Likes

I’ve used the oven too…but the micro is a nice option when you’re trying to get dinner on the table right after work. We only like maple syrup on pancakes and waffles…

1 Like

In New England we do love our maple syrup. Also molasses (though that might be a bias of mine).

I understand…and we have no shortage of maple syrup from Northeast Ohio farms. It’s just not something I want for dinner. Unless I’m having pancakes, of course :wink:

1 Like

Funny you should mention this. I grew up in southwestern PA and while maple syrup of course existed, it was a breakfast thing if that. Real maple was not commonly used. Mostly commercial pancake syrup.

1 Like

I grew up in Pittsburgh in the '50s, and I had no idea that Aunt Jemima’s wasn’t actually maple syrup. I’m assuming the real thing was too expensive.

In terms of winter squash recipes, my favorite is roasting cubed butternut squash with olive oil, (real) maple syrup, and salt at 425 for 25 - 30 minutes - easy and good.

1 Like

nope, none of that fake crap is allowed in the house :wink:

Yesterday I tried these butternut squash latkes from the NYtimes. The first batch was not so great (a little mushy and not browned) but the second was much better. I’d definitely make these again.

4 Likes

I love this squash with Tahini recipe from the Jerusalem cookbook. The bonus was learning that the skin is edible!

3 Likes

This sounds fantastic. I own this cookbook and I can’t believe I overlooked this particular recipe

1 Like

You beat me to it, @ieatalotoficecream. Same is true for me. Thank you for the tip, @corneygirl.

2 Likes

I LOVE all winter squash!!
Delicata might be my favorite, with kabocha a close second.
I loved this recipe because the miso and squash combo is fantastic. I skip the spicy stuff cuz I’m a wimp. At the halfway point i add some tofu or tempeh and the kale so that at the end it’s a complete sheet pan style meal

I made this kinda of crazy panade once, it’s a little fussy- mostly a lot of chopping- but was really delicious and very filling. Makes a lot of servings too

I often use various winter squash in a beany chili style stew, or with green curry paste and coconut milk plus some tofu and whatever veggies are on hand for a curry/soup to have over rice
Most often on a random weeknight i will just chop and roast it, halfway through cooking i will add additional veggies and then i vary the sauce or dressing. Or more likely i chop and roast a ton on the weekend and reheat during the week.
Miso tahini is a favorite, but just toasted sesame oil dribble and lots of cilantro also makes me happy. Chimichurri, peanut buttery/lime/soy sauce and an acidic vinegrette are all tasty combos too.

3 Likes