Duke's Mayo

I am from NY and we generally can’t get Duke’s mayo here. I’ve heard such good things about it compared to Hellman’s. Last week my local Acme had it, for some reason and I snapped it up. I have to say, it is creamier than Hellmans regular, but I’m not sure I like it. I think it’s a bit heavy. Maybe it’s a southern taste thing? Anyone else have a Duke’s opinion? Am I missing something?

2 Likes

I first learned of Duke mayo here on HO -

How Millennials Killed Mayonnaise

So I did some searching and found it online at Target. Since I was placing an order I added it. I also think it is kind of thick. I don’t usually spread my mayo on a sandwich but just let it smush around and it doesn’t smush well. I do like the flavor. I also like that it doesn’t have sugar.

1 Like

We took a long trip down south from New England several years ago. Cooked in several apartments so we were in and out of grocery stores. I bought some Duke’s mayo to bring back home. It was different than Hellman’s but not sufficiently better. You can buy it on Amazon. I’m curious about Sir Kensington’s and Kewpie. Anyone tried those?

I have tried it and like you, was pretty underwhelmed. I found it bland and the texture more creamy (like sour cream or congealed bechamel) than mayonnaise-y, if that makes sense. Hellman’s extra heavy is my gold standard but Hellman’s regular will do as well.

That’s it. You put your finger on it. It looks congealed to

I’ve never had Sir Kensington’s mayo but I like their spicy ketchup.
We love Kewpie. It has a very distinctive taste - much more “lively” maybe? Plus I really like how the squeeze bottle makes a star shaped squiggle.

2 Likes

I got some Sir Kensington’s avocado oil mayo, and it was good, until it lost its emulsion sitting in the fridge for a month or so. No amount of stirring brought it back. Maybe their regular mayo doesn’t separate, though.

2 Likes

Sir Kensington is my favorite Mayo. Though I thought I heard some Mega-Corp bought them. Hope they don’t change the formula.

Never tried Duke’s will have to keep an eye out for it.

1 Like

I’m in total agreement with everyone who said they found it quite heavy. I like it because the jar brings back great memories of our times in the Carolinas with friends.

I’ll pick up a jar when I’m in large Asian markets, but otherwise don’t go out of my way to buy it.

Best Foods Mayo is our go to, and rumor has it that it’s the same as Hellman’s, but most available west of the Mississippi. I do see the occasional bottle of Hellman’s time to time, but have never noticed the extra thick variety.

They had the extra creamy here for a while, now it’s gone. BJs has it but it’s in a jar that won’t fit in my fridge

1 Like

I need another condiment like a hole in the head but I’ll be on lookout for Sir Kensington’s - not the avocado oil version - based on @Thimes’s and you reviews.

3 Likes

I buy Duke’s by the carton, directly from the company that makes it, specifically for tomato sandwiches.

5 Likes

Duke’s doesn’t contain sugar so it won’t taste the same as Best/Hellman’s, I find it better when used as an ingredient in savory things like pimento cheese and dips.

5 Likes

Extra heavy Hellman’s is typically only available at bulk or restaurant supply stores. Costco near me used to carry it but I haven’t seen it there in a while, so I buy it at Restaurant Depot (they carry several other brands of extra-heavy or “Restaurant style” mayo as well, but Hellman’s is the best I’ve tried). The tub is huge but I make it work! :smiley:

2 Likes

Does it fit in the fridge?

Yes, although I don’t store it there - it would take up too much valuable real estate. Mayo is shelf stable as long as you don’t introduce any nasties after it is open, so I store the big jar in a cabinet, tightly sealed. I scoop a smaller amount into a smaller jar for regular use and keep that in the fridge, refilling as necessary. I make sure to use a sterile spoon for scooping out of the big jar and haven’t had any issues with spoilage.

1 Like

Wow, interesting. They have it at BJs so I’ll take a look. Last time I saw it there it was outdated though

1 Like

Unilever bought Sir Kensington in 2017.

The reason so many folks like Kewpie is it has MSG added. Many of them probably wouldn’t be caught dead consuming"evil" MSG. Hah. Also the stuff they sell in the US is now made in the US AFAIK. Personally I’d just take whatever mayonnaise I prefer and add my own MSG. Note that the US version doesn’t use “MSG” it uses yeast extract which essentially is MSG in another form – they can’t say “no MSG” on the label. More here:

And thanks to shrinkrap for linking that old CH thread, which several here, myself included, participated in. A trip down memory lane. The mayonnaise wars will never end.

3 Likes

If you have a whole foods near you, not only do they sell sir Kensington but the packets in the food court area (sit-down seating area) are all sir Kensington, so you can always take a packet or two of each and try it. If you feel guilty, you can buy something that requires it and eat it right there.

2 Likes