Curries (meta-discussion)

Do any fans of The Crown series remember the scene where Maggie Thatcher was whipping up kedgeree for WC, and the rest at her house? I thought it was pretty funny/quaint, definitely added an interesting touch.

1 Like

No, missed that detail in spite of being such fans that we can hardly wait for Imelda Staunton (real life spouse of Downton Abbey’s inimitable Mr. Carson) taking on the ERII role.

More real life admiration: like Chancellor Merkel, Mrs. Thatcher too was a chemist.

1 Like

@BoneAppetite - I too eagerly await the upcoming season(s)! I’ve yet to watch Downton Abbey, so there’s that to look forward to also. Thankful for excellent entertainment during this pandemic.

I can’t remember, sorry! Knowing me…IP.

1 Like

You’re in for a treat if you’ve seen Shakespeare in Love and My Week with Marilyn. Jim Carter (Downton’s Mr. Carson) just has that way with his lines.

1 Like

I remember this discussion of “curry”.

Which morphed into

And

I like the list of curries from around the world in this link. They list a few each of
Popular Curries of Southeast Asia:
Popular East Asian Curries:
Popular Middle East Curries:
Popular Indian Curries:
Popular Indian Curries:
Popular South African Curries:
Bahamian and Jamaican-style curry

4 Likes

I really liked that. How often is that blog about food?

That reminds me of this thread;

2 Likes

Lol my assumption too :grin::grin::grin:

Making a lamb curry for dinner tonight and already a crushing disappointment. Special at my grocery on diced lamb stew meat and what showed up with bone-in chunks. Ugh. Boning was fruitless so I tossed it all in a slow cooker and will see if I can pull it off the bone later. Not hopeful. Thai curbside take-away is our backup. Nothing really to do with the curry part - disappointed by the grocery.

1 Like

Dave - it should work fine. Bone-in is fairly common in traditional South Asian dishes particularly for a handi such as this one:

4 Likes

After several hours the meat all fell off the bones and I fished it all out with tongs. Unfortunately 0.5 kg of meat yielded 0.3 kg of bone and the curry is horribly overspiced. I’m letting that cool and planning to stretch it with potato for lunch tomorrow. Thai curbside take-away it is for dinner tonight.

I double checked the grocery online ordering and it does say diced lamb stew meat. The label on the package says bone-in. We missed that as I ordered, my wife put it away, and then I pulled it to cook. Grocery failure to communicate and failure between my wife and me.

Absolutely amazing amount of bone. The professional butcher who taught me how to break down primals would be shaking his head.

I think the potatoes will save us from throwing away good if overspiced food. I think there is some leftover roast cauliflower in the fridge also. I may toss that in as well.

1 Like

Ahha. Aloo gobi gosht. One of my fave Punjabi dishes.

4 Likes

Dilution is the only way I’ve successfully dealt with too much spice. Eggs, rice, potatoes, bread seem to work best. Potatoes seems the best fit here.

1 Like

Stirring yoghurt through it should also have a calming effect.

1 Like

Or some cream and call it Gosht Tikka Masala.

Agree as a matter of principle. Plenty of yogurt in the lamb marinade.

Review of the online grocery list now says “bone in” with a different picture. Maybe something changed between when I put the lamb stew meat in the cart and when I picked up my order. Still, more than half (only a little more) of weight as bone is disconcerting.

Repeating myself, starting from primals there is no excuse for so much bone in stew meat. I have to assume trying (and succeeding with me) to sell waste and trimmings. Other choices would have been cheaper with waste taken into account.

The potato add sufficiently diluted the spices to make the reduced amount of meat in my curry moot. It was pretty good.

The question that came to mind, driven by my warped sense of humor (or humour as may be), is that if adding beans to chili makes the dish not chili any more, what does adding potatoes to curry do to the curry? This goes back to the vocabulary discussion we have from time to time in HO.

1 Like

That beans in Texas thing is marketing.

2 Likes

It just adds potatoes.

A common enough ingredient in South Asian food including Mrs Harters’ regular order of the Punjabi dish of aloo gobi (see above) - a potato (aloo) and cauliflower (gobi) dish. Like a number of ingredients, it presumably arrived in the sub-continent through the European empire builders. In this case, it’s probably the Portuguese who also brought chilli from South America. Just as the British brought the cauliflower.

I like potato as the filling in a masala dosa when I’m wanting something a bit more substantial than a plain dosa.

2 Likes

Ah. We have a cauliflower that needs to be eaten this week. Curried cauliflower it is then. Now what to eat with it…?