Crab Season 2022-23

Anchor Oyster Bar, Castro.

The star of the meal though was this cioppino (it has crab as well). Freakin spectacular

8 Likes

Did you move over from the east coast to SF ?

Nope was just visiting for a few days

Swan Oyster Depot, crab backs and salad with crab/shrimp. Skip the Louie and ask for the dressing with crab fat and mustard

Hog Island seafood stew. This is was good. This stew with some oysters would make a fine meal! Maybe a scoop or two at Humphrey Slocombe and go for a walk with that view of the Bay and Bay Bridge

8 Likes

Looks good! Didn’t know that Swan had a dressing with crab fat and mustard.

1 Like

It’s nice I like it.

The crab back would be infinitely better if it was warmed up. Should be treated like butter in a sense

1 Like

Ya, it’s part of their “secret” menu: https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/At-Swan-Oyster-Depot-a-secret-menu-built-for-10591335.php

3 Likes

Today at SF Supermarket in Stockton, live dungees were $4.99 per pound. The tank was pretty full, and there were some lively ones in there.

2 Likes

I see thiis as the fisherman getting . F.I.T.A.A. Gas ,labor , overhead. Its like when people call me saying. Its a small job . No such thing .

Made crab pad thai What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023 - #487 by chiel

1 Like

There’s a sign now that reads essentially "no more choosing crab…to avoid traumatizing the crab, et al. I got four and it came to a little over 7 pounds. They seem to still be alive. It would be terrible if they started bagging dead ones.

I’m wanting to link previous seasons.

3 Likes
1 Like

I remember we used to take the carapace and put it directly on a gas burner to cook the guts, discarding the dead man’s fingers, of course. We’d typically crack an egg into it and add a little mirin and shoyu, and mix it with a spoon, taking care to dig around into the nooks and crannies until it was soft set. That was over 30 years ago, though, and the last time I cleaned a crab (a couple of weeks ago), I looked at the crab butter and was, frankly, turned off at the thought of eating it. Honestly, the look of it kind of grossed me out, and I doubt I’ll ever eat it the old way again!

3 Likes

Crab butter is an acquired taste, which I never acquired. Taste never over came the looks for me. And if you smell it after a day, even outside in a trash bin, just reinforces things.

1 Like

There has hardly been any in the crabs I have purchased this year.

I like the whitisn, mayonnaise looking globules, at least right after the crab comes out of the steamer. I like some of the yellow “mustard” too, but then it starts to blend into something uncertain. I’ve not often been successful sorting the rest of it in a way that seems useful.

For me it’s actually been an acquired aversion. I mean, I used to love it. Now I can’t stand the sight of it. And it’s really all about how it looks: like somebody’s eaten it already.

2 Likes

Crab cakes! Boulevard recipe.

A bit fiddly. Essentially the same as the the Boulevard crab salad recipe+thyme.
Really no binder other than a bit of mayo, and panko on top and bottom. I may not get them out of the pan , but they taste good.

8 Likes

If you can’t get 'em out of the pan, eating bachelor-style (out of the pan, standing over the sink or while watching TV) is perfectly acceptable!

5 Likes