Crab Season 2022-23

I’m the same. Lobster is an easier date.

2 Likes

I love the taste of east coast blue crab too, but Dungeness is much less work to get the goods

2 Likes

Yes. I prefer the blue to dungeness

1 Like

I grew up East coast, but didn’t grow up eating lobster. Spent formative years around the Chesapeake, and ate blue crabs with Old Bay from a paper bag when I could. I’m intrigued by those, but Dungies/Dungeness are the business.

3 Likes

I like the soft shell best. No soft shell dungeness I’ve seen.

That’s true. But soft shell are often frozen, and not seasonal, at least for me in California. I will be all over them when I’m where I can get them fresh. I think there’s something about the seasonality that adds to the excitement.

2 Likes

I went to one of those places in Baltimore where you order blue crab by the pound and they dump them on a butcher-paper covered table and give you a wooden mallet. It was super fun, but I felt like you never got full because you burn as many calories cracking and extracting the crab meat as you take in eating it.

6 Likes

When I went to Boston last year and had steamed lobster for the first time in a few years, I realized that I may now like Dungeness crab better.

3 Likes

Dungeness for me over Atlantic lobster, easily. Spiny lobster might be a closer call.

Bought 4 Dungies @ $5.98/lb on Wednesday, and the weighed out to less than 6#. Good for a few meals for the two of us. Again, in rotation, cracked crab, hot crab sandwiches and later crab quiche from picked and frozen. There is just enough room in the partially cleaned out freezer for more!

2 Likes

Nice plan, we got 4 for 2 of us and after steamed crab the first night had enough for two nights of crab salad sliders/sandwiches, with more left over. Crab quiche sounds great!

2 Likes

I just got an alert from New England Lobster Company in Burlingame that they have live Dungeness crabs for $4.95/lb.

2 Likes

Posted today 2/10/23 on their Facebook page

New Captain Pete Sportfishing:

We’ll be selling crab crab on E dock, slip 9 in Half Moon Bay for $6 a pound, or $4.50 a pound if you buy 10 or more. To reserve your crab, call Captain Al at (360)460-7048.

1 Like

i like spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, crushed pepper, parsley and a ton of crab and crab brain/stuff mixed together…sorta like hamburger helper for crab…enjoy the season!

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Yesterday, $3.99/lb at Greenfish Market in Oakland Chinatown. There seems to be a small glut or the season opening delay changed things because with inflation, etc, that’s cheap. Crabs about 1.5lb.

3 Likes

Low price is lack of demand from China.

Divide by 4, that what the fisherman receives. The fisherman may need more than that to the costs of fishing. Great deal for consumers, bad deal for the supply chain. Hope for next year!

Made Dungeness Crab with Cellophane Noodles a la Slanted Door

3 Likes

I’m late to the game, and have not scoped out prices for live crab near me, but Safeway has cooked dungies this week for $5.99/lb. Last week they were $4.99/lb. I picked up three. The largest was just shy of 2 pounds, and the counterperson said they were averaging a little more than 1¾ pounds. She didn’t see any over 2 pounds. Mrs. ricepad and I had a small crab feast, and with the leftover crab, I made a crab and asparagus quiche.

4 Likes

Crab + asparagus = :heart: