What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the scene is so delightful
And since I’ve no place to go
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

I needed soup so I did a freezer dive. I found chicken with carrots, mushrooms and kale? in a sauce and chicken and rice. I combined with chicken broth, et voila, soup. Salad of oak leaf and tango, tomatoes, green onion, celery, avocado, pickled beets, blue cheese, ranch dressing. An Old Fashioned and wine.

30 Likes

That’ll warm some chilled bones❄! Minus 3° right now, on its way down to a predicted -12°. Snow, graupel over ice is not very nice. Stayin’ in for a few days! The cat won’t even get past the foyer door to the garage.

3 Likes

Thai red curry made with store bought paste (Mae Ploy) with bell pepper, Thai eggplants, Thai basil, and a duck breast roasted in the air fryer. With rice and veg and some sake.

25 Likes

BF made ramen, with meatballs he made the other night using some of my leftover korean braising liquid from our beef shank dinner. meatballs were great, ramen not so much. he used the momofuku noodles but not their flavoring packets, and then only used part of a packet from another kind of ramen, and sadly, the whole thing was rather bland. and tomatoes (especially winter ones) just didn’t work. Hey - everyone has an off night! He so rarely does. But, his pajeon (korean veggie pancake) was as good as ever.

25 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Mango Ginger Pork over curry rice topped with broccoli. As usual, Sunshine holed up at the other end of the house while the pressure cooker jiggled it’s weight and made the psst… psst sound. We both enjoyed the end result, though.

19 Likes

Picked up a 2.2lb crab and somehow ended up making crab pad thai. I’m sure someone has done it before, but I’d never had it. Was pretty good.

22 Likes

That looks great!

3 Likes

Dinner last night was fish stew, something I have refined over the years, but is nevertheless not the same twice in a row. I’m a keen baker, and carefully weigh everything, but when I make this, there is not a scale in sight.

It consists a of thinly-sliced onion, fennel bulb and garlic sautéed together, white wine added and cooked a bit more. Then blitzed peeled tomatoes added, together with pink peppercorns and herbes de Provence. Allowed to cook, covered for an hour over low heat, then 1” cubes of salmon added, together with capers and several dashes of Worcestershire sauce. The salmon poaches rather than stews. I sometimes add green peas and diced potatoes. S&P added along the way. Looking forward to leftovers tonight (always tastes better). Served with baguette. Will take a picture and post tonight if I remember.

15 Likes

Sasha, sesame seeds can be an irritant if inability to digest normally rather than allergies are at play. Be careful.

Thanks for the tip. My older son has food allergies so I know sesame can be an allergen. My understanding is that any food at all can be an irritant, and when doing elimination diets, the only way to learn something is to take one type of food at a time and eliminate, then reintroduce. You don’t want to eliminate too many things all at the same time. Because then you can’t interpret or attribute a causal connection if feelings of discomfort change. Our pediatrician was concerned about dairy, gluten, and cruciferous veg for the issues my little is experiencing. She did not mention sesame as something to be concerned about. Not to say that it couldn’t be - just not that likely compared to other food types.

2 Likes

Very true that any food can be an irritant. 20 years ago, out of the blue, I developed allergies to beef, rice, and coffee. I used to break out into very severe hives that used to cause my face to be badly deformed. The test with 30 drops of liquid on the forearm revealed nothing; the allergist told me I had no food allergies, but could not explain the hives. It took an environmental doctor, who did 8 hours of testing, giving me a series of shots to identify the allergens. I eliminated those three things, and the hives stopped.

Several years later I was discussing this with another allergist, and was told that I should challenge my body from time to time by taking those allergens. I did so, slowly, and did not react. No allergies now.

Interestingly, on one occasion when I went for a antihistamine shot, the doctor said to me, “You do realize, I hope, that this could be caused by stress.” At the time I thought he was nuts, but looking back, I was going through a lot of stress then.

3 Likes

You can avoid this with an instant pot!

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve looked into the blood test?

Like so many things…heart palpitations and tingling limbs included. :sob:

I love making stuffed squid. I always slice them crosswise for a dramatic presentation!

3 Likes

No, but this is all very new and he is only on day 4 of gluten elimination diet. I think we’d have to have some observations and takeaways from 2 wks of that diet before anybody would do a blood test on him. Previously he ate bread and pasta with abandon, so he is crossing his fingers it’s not gluten that bothers him.

2 Likes

Sounds rough and then good news that it went away. I don’t know the stats on intolerances. I know with allergies that most adults outgrow their childhood allergies, with the exception of peanut and seafood ones. Those persist through adulthood in something like 95% of the population that has a severe allergic reaction to those foods as kids. I know mine tested positive to peanut as a scratch test as an infant. Started blood testing him on allergens around 18 months and have done it every 5 yrs or so? He went from 34ish ige to over 100 as he got older.

It was. I even reacted to jujubes as the gelatin from them came from beef bones. Then there was the reaction to blood sausage. Horrific!

Maybe one day, I’ll get one. It appears they have come down in price I thought they were around $200.

I do like the simplicity of my old jiggler weight pressure cooker. And I can throw the whole thing in the dishwasher (with the exception of the gasket).

1 Like

Any sushi that doesn’t give me food poisoning is great sushi. :rofl:

3 Likes