CABBAGE! Your favorite recipes?

What are they stuffed with? Very pretty.

2 Likes

Similar to the Greek Lahanodolmades, the Northern Romanians stuff their cabbage with:

Ground pork or ground Lamb or a combo
Onion
Long grain rice
finely chopped garlic
fresh parsley
fresh dill
ground cumin
salt
freshly ground black pepper
fresh mint herb
Evoo from Greece Works best
finely diced or chopped onion or leek or shallot

Thank you and have a lovely weekend.

4 Likes

Yum, @Barca, sounds divine!

1 Like

Forgot about something I used to make from time to time - kind of a deconstructed cabbage roll type thing. Sliced cabbage and put in a 9x13 casserole, layered with typical stuffed cabbage filling (I usually put a Greek spin on it - cinnamon, Greek oregano) Parmesan and mizithra cheeses, ending with a layer of cabbage. Cover and bake until bubbly and cabbage is done. Really good & equally easy.

7 Likes

Is the cabbage raw? Sounds great.

Yes, that’s the great ease of the recipe. It needs to be sliced as you would for a thick slaw, for it to cook well enough. Usually provides nice leftovers too.

1 Like

Oooh would be really good with an avgolemeno sauce too, although I haven’t made one to go with that particular dish.

1 Like

I have prepared stuffed cabbage the Greek way and they serve it floating in a large bowl of Avoglemono.

Also an exquisite dish.

2 Likes

Oh delicious - I’m envious and will have to whip some up one day this winter. I’ve had large dolmades, made with romaine leaves on the Pelopennesian Peninsula that were very good. The wonderful cook used lettuce because all the local grape vines had been sprayed with DDT. I saw sacks of it in the village stores. This was back in the 90’s, so don’t know if they’re still using it.

1 Like

I believe it was outlawed by the E.U.

We are becoming much more ecological here than we were 20 years ago …

1 Like

Well that’s reassuring to hear @Barca, and was pretty sure that was probably the case now. Thanks for confirming, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Anyone have some Inspired Recipes for red cabbage?

I don’t have any specific to red cabbage but I wanted to be able to find this one for cabbage pad thai. It might look strange but I don’t see why you couldn’t use red cabbage.

4 Likes

I make this regularly after someone posted it here a few years ago. We like it better than using the noodles.

3 Likes

We really enjoy this concoction when we have a craving for spiced cabbage.

6 Likes

That looks really interesting @Rooster. But with hoisin + oyster sauce + sugar + caramelized cabbage it seems like it would be very sweet. Is it? Do you tweak it at all or do you like it as written?

2 Likes

Yes, we have tweaked the sugar level to our taste preference and upped the rice vinegar.

3 Likes

For Asia food, most of the time, I reduce the sugar in the recipes as I don’t like sweet savoury as a whole.

3 Likes

Snatched from another food blog, Cabbage Noodles. Possibly healthful, but definitely delicious, Cabbage ribbons braised in butter augmented by cooked similarly sized egg noodles. Add a, er, rather large lump of butter. Forget the rest of dinner.

7 Likes

Add caraway seeds and I’m there!

3 Likes