BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

Mrs H generally prefers salad cream to mayo. As they say, you can take the girl out of Salford but you can’t take the Salford out of the girl.

2 Likes

Using some Kippers for dinner. Not sure how, yet.

1 Like
1 Like

Using the vile, farty veg is a guaranteed way to ruin both bubble & squeak and scones. IMO, of course.

3 Likes

I see that survey was conducted by YouGov, so will have been done professionally but it’d be interesting to know what sample of people they surveyed.

It’s interesting (and not surprising) that several of the “crap” tier dishes are based on offal which has been decreasing in popularity for years, particularly with younger people. On the other side of that coin, it’s also no surprise that the “god” Tier comprises dishes that would the equivalent of “easy listening” music. FWIW, I have eaten everything listed and only have two dishes that I wouldnt happily return to - kippers and jellied eels.

2 Likes

god tier that i believe?

1 Like

I like kippers a lot.

I lifted it from a funny Twitter account. Plenty of witty replies, if you enjoy Twitter.

1 Like
2 Likes

When I make pasties (as I did last week), I crimp along the top, rather than side. I think that makes it a Devon pasty (or just “wrong”). A Cornish one has to be side crimped, according to its PGI status (although, to be honest, I don’t know if we still have PGI and other protected designations, since we left the European Union).

3 Likes

That surprised me as well. Had a Scotch egg for the first time, last year, and loved it. Beef Wellington is magic when done right. Bubble and squeak as an amazing use of leftovers for me. Rarebit is a top tier for me. Made it since forever. Beer and cheese, howdoyalose?

1 Like

https://www.royal.uk/coronation-quiche-0

2 Likes

I just baked a coronation quiche this afternoon, using BBC Good Food’s recipe.

Turned out okay - it actually tasted better than I’d envisaged it would. But, all in all, it’s a vegetarian quiche, and I miss my bacon. :joy:

8 Likes

They look good.

I am planning to make a small one following the recipe, with cheddar, fava beans and tarragon, then a blinged up version without tarragon , substituting fresh basil and some other greens, to see how they compare.

2 Likes

Amusing that you left the crust in the dish.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: That wasn’t the crust - it’s the coaster underneath the clear glass dish.

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I like the use of mincemeat in that pudding . It might be a good Christmas one for folk who don’t like the richness of a normal Christmas pudding.

By the by, the author of the article mentions she uses Delia Smith’s recipe for mincemeat (which I have made once or twice). I have it mind she also includes mincemeat in a light pudding in her Christmas book.

1 Like