King Charles III's official "coronation quiche" recipe raises some eyebrows

4 Likes

Do you think the recipe be in demand as much as H & M’s elderflower and lemon cake was?

1 Like

I linked a few articles here about Coronation Quiche / Quiche Le Reign here:

Lots of comments about Coronation Quiche on Twitter and Reddit!

1 Like

I agree with Charles’ supposed quote about eggs and cheese being great ingredients. And are broad/fava beans really that tough to prepare?
I am not a fan of the guy, but in this I may agree with him. It may not be the perfect spinach pie, but it sounds decent. I have had worse.
And it is a bit less labor intensive than Beef Wellington.

4 Likes

You know what? I think it’s just bloody fine. Not that anybody in the UK gives a shite. I’m sure the eggs and cream will be gotten from certified virgin cows and hens fed nothing but organic feed their entire lives. More goes into that kind of stuff than most folks realize.

1 Like

First I’ve heard of this “controversy”. More in my U.K. news feeds is the observation that over half of the country now doesn’t want to pay for this nonsense.

1 Like

I have read that the Royals cost the UK around £100,000,000 in direct payments and around £200,000,000 in lost tax revenue due to the tax free status of 2 duchies. Not sure how accurate those estimates were, but it would seem like the royals bring in a decent amount of tourism but not £300,000,000.
End the stipends for the lesser royals and force the remaining royals to pay for their own maintenance of the royal properties and you could probably get the UK stipend to the royals below £50,000,000 a year and still keep a tie on them to behave themselves and to show up and cut the ribbons when ordered to do so. Considering how rich (!) the family is they ought to pay more of their own expenses, yet they only have a few bad apples. Not bad for a family of multi-millionaires (billionaires in some cases?).
Most of the royals actually do seem to serve the UK pretty well. Andrew aside.

Outsiders viewpoint.

2 Likes

I thought the ‘quiche La reign’ sounded delicious. I have a great tarragon plant but will have to find the fava beans to make it.
Described to my sister she said ‘yuck’ - Lima bean pie😂

11 Likes

I just want to say the “quiche La reign” comment was a very nice twist on the dishes name.
Nicely played, Elsie!

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Can’t take credit. Read it somewhere and thot it was the official name.

4 Likes

Possession is 9/10’s of the law, as people used to say.
And you had it first on HO!

3 Likes

Mrs PB made it on Monday night with a couple of additions. We are pretty ambivalent about the royals but happened to have most of the ingredients to hand, some which needed using up. We had frozen edamme beans rather than broad beans. Also added some kale that needed using and Mrs PB added asparagus that I had meant to go on the side , (bit of miscommunication there). Finally some taleggio cheese, which was getting a bit too stinky was dotted on top

Mrs PB was disappointed with it straight out of the oven, it tasted much better and had a much better texture at room temperature the day after.

I will say one thing. Even with the strong taleggio cheese it was pretty bland.

7 Likes

I think it would likely be a better dish if one swapped the tarragon for a ton of fresh basil.

Maybe they could have asked Nigel Slater to rename his pie instead of inventing a quiche :joy:

2 Likes

I’d rather have his mom’s coronation chicken

(And many other sources)

3 Likes

The amazing Cauliflower…………………. has some Coronation Cauliflower recipes, you know, since The King likes his veggies.

I like cauliflower, and I like my veggies, and I suspect I’m more fun in the kitchen than :prince:

2 Likes

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/curried-egg-and-cauliflower-salad

3 Likes

I suspect that any and all of us are more fun in the kitchen than that one.

2 Likes

A Washington Post writer attempts the coronation quiche, and has some problems with the original recipe. Mods worked. Gift link:

https://wapo.st/3p1iS6W

3 Likes