BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

:slightly_smiling_face: my pleasure

Prime rib with Yorkshire pudding tonight!

6 Likes

Must echo @retrospek: that linked article was a delight. Many thanks from me, as well!

1 Like

Thanks for a fun read. Isnt it great to read of someone unused to this level/type of dining to enjoy it. I bet you’d read Tripadvisor reviews of the place and there’s be moans about tiny portions and high prices.

We’re not great fans of tasting menus any longer. Too much of a faff - and we prefer to choose our own food, usually of two or three courses. Although at Michlein star level you’re often stuck with a Tasting. My only experience of a starred place in Birmingham was at Purnell’s in 2014. Mrs H and I went for our “office Christmas party”:

1 Like

Loved that, thanks for the link!

1 Like

Eye-catching wine list, so it can’t be a Peaky Blinders hangout.

1 Like

:rofl: touché

One more for the fun of it:

1 Like

FWIW, the final series of Peaky Blinders has just started. It’s not a show I’ve ever watched.

1 Like

We appreciate the heads-up. It’ll likely be a short interval before we can see it in the States. Sam Neill’s early appearance drew us in; thus, we learned of Churchill’s service as Minister of Munitions.

1 Like

Food and food culture evolve over time (as does society more generally). I bet a hundred years ago, there were people bemoaning the fact that no-one eats the XX of their youth any more…

That said, regard the article as the bit of fun that was clearly intended. And perhaps take some of the “facts” with a proverbial pinch of salt. I offer you one example. The article claims that two thirds of zoomers have never eaten jellied eels which obviously indicates that one third have. Now, when you think that jellied eels have never been a national dish and have always been confined to the London area, the basis for the “survey” becomes entirely questionable. In that context, as someone who has lived their entire life, of 71 tears, in northwest England, I have never eaten jellied eels, have never seen them for sale in this region, do not know anyone who has ever mentioned eating them. It has always been a niche dish, even in London.

Are we seeing a generational change in British society. Well, yes, I think we are. The American Santa Claus is fast replacing our own Father Christmas. Bonfire Night (on 5 November) has greatly declined in popularity as it’s been subsumed by the American style Halloween. My guess is that within another generation, both of these centuries old traditions will be gone foreever.

5 Likes

Fidget pies, new to me. At my favourite butcher shop/ market in Toronto’s Kensington Market

1 Like

Here’s a recipe for fidget pie which, as the link, is traditional to Shropshire (the county to the south of mine)

In similar vein, our own Cheshire pork pie is, like our southern neighbour, intended to be eaten hot (unlike most pork pies that you’ll see in the UK whihc are eaten cold).

Both use the combo of pig and apple which is traditional in British cooking.

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Bah, humbug. Off with their heads. Not even a decent trifle is worth it for this lot.

A recent report has shown the glaring inequality in mortality rates between women living in England’s wealthiest and poorest areas. At one end, Liz Windsor represents the general long life of the priveleged. At the other end, the poorest women have an expectancy of eight fewer years of life. Of the OECD countries, only Mexico has a worse mortality rate.

5 Likes

With lettuce in the news, I thought I’d post this.