BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

It’s not Coronation Shrimp Salad if there’s no curry powder!

It’s a lovely prawn cocktail/ shrimp salad without curry powder !

In Britain, maybe with Marie Rose sauce!

Harters, I love those prawn cocktail snacks at M & S. Not the crisps, the puffy pink snacks.

5 Likes

My Coronation Chicken

5 Likes

Absolutely. Curry powder is an integral part of Coronation Chicken. It was invented for the current queen’s coronation banquet and the curry powder was an important nod towards the South Asian members of the Commonwealth, particularly as we were still in transit from empire to the modern times.

4 Likes

Yes, surely you are probably correct.

None the less, it is a lovely prawn salad and looks like a Coronation Salad however, it is not an authentic one …

1 Like

The classic 1970s UK restaurant starter. Particularly in the steakhouse chains like Berni Inn - where folk like me used to go then for a celebration or “big date” night. Prawn cocktail, followed by steak and Black Forest gateau. Mrs H is still fond of a well made version.

1 Like

I still like a good version, too.

I also like the readymade prawn sandwiches found at your takeout shops and grocery stores. Our readymade sandwich selection is much smaller in Canada.

I figured Felicity also wrote about Prawn Cocktail. She did!

https://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/first-courses/prawn-cocktail-with-avocado

2 Likes

Anericans, well, West Coast Americans, usually use a simple catsup/lemon/horseradish/Worcestershire sauce for prawn cocktail. And a catsup/mayo sauce for Prawn or Shrimp Louis.

2 Likes

Diana - when we make it at home, we generally do something based on Delia’s revamped recipe that you link to. In her original “Winter Collection” book, she called it “Prawn Cocktail 2000” which I suppose shows how dated even that it.

2 Likes

The ketchup horseradish mixture is standard cocktail sauce throughout Canada, the Midwest and East Coast, too. Comes inside some frozen shrimp rings, and is usually the sauce with fried shrimp and scallops from fish & chips take-out joints.

I like to order Crab Louie when I visit the Bay Area.

3 Likes

Harters, recommend drizzling

hollandaise on a Scotch Egg! Credit to House on Parliament, a pub in Toronto’s Cabbagetown, so named due to the scent of boiled cabbages, when it was a relatively poor Irish neighbourhood 100 years ago.

4 Likes
1 Like

Well, I must admit that, whenever I’ve had a slice of cake, it’s made me feel better. LOL.

I see that article is on the website of the Wellcome Foundation. Their museum & gallery in London is where I’ve often killed a spare hour waiting for my train back to the frozen North. Their exhibitions change but, unsurprisingly, tend to have a medical/health theme. When I was there a couple of years back, part of one exhibition was a fast moving Powerpoint of photograps taken by the person of everything they had eaten in a full year - from three meals a day to the "in between " snacks, including cake of course. It was a lot of food.

1 Like

My favorite cake memory was a slice of “sandwich” cake at the now defunct London Toy Museum in the Bayswater neighborhood. They charged something like 10pounds entry, so, less interested than husband, I took my 10 quid and went to their tea room where I had tea and a slice of fabulous frosted walnut cake. I’ve looked for its equal for 30years without luck. Such are taste memories.

2 Likes

I visited the Wellcome museum the second last time I was in the UK. Very nice exhibitions. I saw the exhibition on Mental Health. I hope to stay longer in London next time I visit.

In terms of cakes, I always seek hot British cakes and baked goods I haven’t tried before, especially those not found in Canada. I remember having a slice of Victoria sponge at a tea room called Shirley Valentine’s in Cornwall, must be 11 years ago now.

I should have a checklist!

I have tried about 3/4 of the desserts/sweets/puddings on this list

I haven’t had Spotted Dick yet

2 Likes

Good list. I think there’s only the lardy cake which I havent tried (although there are handful of others that I’d be in no rush to try again).

Mrs H is the baker of the couple. She took it up as a hobby when she retired. One of her tasks is now to bake birthday cakes for the immediate family. She has no need to ask what I’d like - she knows that will always be a classic Victoria sponge.

2 Likes

You have to try it. It’s a classic for a reason.

The “Dick” is a dialect word for pudding, rather than anything to do with male dangly bits. Not as funny, but maybe more interesting.

2 Likes

Always worth a snicker though…I follow the dictum (!) that you can only be young once, but you can always be immature. Works for me…

5 Likes

I enjoyed the 2 lardy cakes I’ve tried. A little like Kouign Amann. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/lardy-cake-recipe/amp

I made my first Victoria Sponge for Victoria Day weekend last year. I will make it again :slightly_smiling_face: Strawberry shortcake is more popular on this side of the pond.

@Harters on Adam’s Restaurant in Birmingham :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.adamsrestaurant.co.uk/

3 Likes

That was a fun read - thank you!

3 Likes