Best Cookbooks of 2017?

I’m a self-professed cookbook collector and every year I’m bound to purchase a half dozen or so cookbooks. I’m curious what new cookbooks you’ve bought this year that you’re enjoying. It doesn’t have to be cookbooks released this year, but ideally they would be recently published cookbooks.

Here’s some that I’ve acquired this year:

• Mastering the Art of Japanese Home Cooking, Masaharu Morimoto - I love his other book so much, I had to have this one.
  • Vibrant India: Fresh Vegetarian Recipes from Bangalore to Brooklyn, Chitra Agrawal - Haven’t cooked from this one yet, but looks promising. I love Indian and vegetarian.
  • The Dumpling Galaxy Cookbook, Helen You - I made the best homemade dumplings of my life with this book.
  • The Adventures of Fat Rice: Recipes from the Chicago Restaurant Inspired by Macau, Abraham Conlon - The cover was awesome and few cookbooks on Macanese food, so I had to have it.
  • The Banh Mi Handbook: Recipes for Crazy-Delicious Vietnamese Sandwiches, Andrea Nguyen - To brush up on making this iconic sandwich plus she puts out quality cookbooks.
  • In My Kitchen: A Collection of New and Favorite Vegetarian Recipes, Deborah Madison - I couldn’t miss this one from the legend. I always refer to her cookbooks when I don’t know how to cook a vegetable.
  • The Pho Cookbook: Easy to Adventurous Recipes for Vietnam’s Favorite Soup and Noodles, Andrea Nguyen - Um, I love pho.
  • Vegan Cheese: Simple, Delicious Plant-Based Recipes, Jules Aron - I love the challenge of making plant based foods taste good, so this was an interesting cookbook.

Can’t wait to hear what you have!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your list.

Same like you, I’m attracted by the cover. A discussion here:

Looks like you are a big fan of Asian cuisines and vegetarian cooking.

1 Like

@naf You’re very observant!:blush: I think I’m a big fan of Asian cuisines by default because I’m Chinese-Taiwanese-American. I’ve been vegetarian most of my life, so to be foodie and experience great food, I had to cook it vegetarian style. That’s probably why I love cookbooks, because I will buy any cookbook that’s good so I can modify it to be vegetarian.

I’m also a big fan of baking and confectionery. I wonder what good cookbooks on those topics came out recently…

What type of cooking do you like? What are your favorite cookbooks?

These are the ones that I have bought.

For dessert, I have pre-ordered Sweet: Desserts from London’s Ottolenghi.

1 Like

Nice! How do you like the pho and banh mi cookbooks? Any favorite recipes?

I have a couple of Ottolenghi’s other cookbooks, so I’ll have to check out Sweet: Desserts. I didn’t know he came out with another. Thanks for sharing!

If interested in real Macanese cooking check out other Macanese cookery books. I have a couple of them, way before hipsters discovered Macao and its history of the world’s first fusion food.

Taiwanese food is not popular, I had to go there to eat it.

It will be released in September.

1 Like

Bought this book for the bread formula. Making Bahn Mi bread at home was the goal. I was disappointed in the pate recipe that she includes, but have found some of the other protein recipes to be quite good. The Pho book will have to wait until winter for a full set of tests. Just too hot in the summer to make Pho.

Definitely interested in Macanese cooking! Can you share which books you recommend owning? I’d love to add to my collection!

How did the bread turn out? I haven’t tried her bread formula. I was mainly interested in the variations of banh mi.

Same here! :joy:

I was all born in Taiwan, so I grew up eating Taiwanese food. The best cookbook I’ve found for Taiwanese food is The Food of Taiwan by Cathy Erway. Check it out if you get a chance!

2 Likes

Great! It was a true Bahn Mi bread. I am never looking back.

1 Like

Good to know! I will have to try it. Thanks for the tip!

The unexpected ingredient is a Vitamin C tablet, so make sure you have some in the house before you start!

1 Like

Wow! That is unexpected. Now I’m intrigued. Can’t wait to try!

I heard a lot of good things on Taiwan street food. Is there any book recommendations on that?

I live in France now, so most of my books /magazines are in French, recently I have great interest in reading pastry and sweets. I read a lot the magazine Fou de Patisserie.

Books I got in 2017:

Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way by Francis Mallmann
Like a lot the Netflix episode…

Taste & Technique: Recipes to Elevate Your Home Cooking by Naomi Pomeroy
I like the way she combines and composes her dishes

Michael Symon’s Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers by Michael Symon
Husband is a carnivore, like my cat. I don’t think there is anything I can do to change.

The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish
It’s quite technically and specific on the dough making, what I need to learn

Morocco by Jeff Koehler

The Slanted Door by Charles Phan
want to know more on modern Vietnamese cooking

Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
by Andrea Nguyen and Leigh Beisch
This book completes on recipes that I couldn’t find in my other 2 Vietnamese cookbooks.

Gjelina: Cooking from Venice, California
by Travis Lett and Michael Graydon

Bar Tartine: Techniques & Recipes by Cortney Burns and Nicolaus Balla
Want to learn more on vinegars and pickles

Isn’t it after all crispy French baguette? You can’t find decent ones in your neighbourhood?

1 Like

Nope. The bread is baguette like, but not a baguette at all.

1 Like

I have these 2, both in good condition. They are a lesson in history and food. Never cook from them, or all my other cookery books. Just read them like novels.

Back then when food photography wasn’t a criteria when buying cookery books. The content makes up for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Macau-Portuguese-Cuisine-China/dp/0781810221

Got this in Macau. Found only 2 sites that list it. Published by Macau’s Institute for tourism studies.

There’s a third one (I don’t have it):

https://www.amazon.com/Macanese-Cooking-Journey-Across-Generations/dp/9993777854

When Naf first posted about the Fat Rice book I looked it up and listened to their promotional video clips. Seemed they got a lot of press coverage. Anyway, I dismissed them based on several factors.

I have epub of this Taiwanese book, as well as the one you mentioned:

Taiwan is fantastic, I just don’t like the many many rules like in Singapore. Hoping to make it to Taiwan again next year, if things go according to plans.

PS: @naf , Vietnamese baguette is airy, the crust is thin and sharp. The addition of rice flour is an ingenious modification to the original baguette.

1 Like

Sadly, I haven’t found many Taiwanese cookbooks, let alone Taiwanese street food. :cry: I wish there was a book I could recommend. As consolation though, the book I recommended, The Food of Taiwan, has a section on appetizers and street food. I highly recommend the cookbook. @Presunto’s recommendation, Home-style Taiwanese Cooking, looks good too; I just bought it! Thanks, @Presunto!