Bakers gonna bake - sweets and desserts 2019

Gorgeous! Superb distribution of filling throughout the roll, too.

If you ever wind up with extra walnut filling as I did, it can happily repurpose as a rich topping for baked French toast. Put a dollop on each slice as the dish went into the oven and then spread out once the refrigerated filling warmed.

An experiment that worked.

3 Likes

Yes. An enriched yeasted bread dough filled with a walnut mix (honey, sugar, milk, vanilla, egg). It’s DH’s family tradition.

2 Likes

We made an almond-apricot sweet bread from a King Arthur recipe. It came out a bit misshapen, but that adds to the homemade charm. Haven’t tasted it yet because it still needs to be fully cooled before we can add the glaze and cut into it.

2 Likes

That is awesome! Thank you so much for all the detailed info and pictures- I’m going to have to give it a try for my next dinner! Maybe I’ll come up with some vegetarian Filipino dishes to go with it.

2 Likes

This is my first ever Kransekake. I used it for the centerpiece of the Christmas Eve table. I made it over three days, so it wasn’t too terrible in terms of time spent.

12 Likes

Wow, that’s impressive! 3 days, 18 cakes!! how many people was there to share it?

2 Likes

THere were 7 of us. When I tried to take it apart, the royal icing went all over. It tasted really good. But lots of leftovers.

So next year, I think I would make a separate batch of cookies and ice them and put them on a plate next to the kransekake. You really can’t take it apart very easily once you have pressed it all together. That royal icing is like superglue!

4 Likes

This was my second time making bravetart’s Boston cream pie. Both times a relative success. I really like her egg white filling.

10 Likes

Stunner

1 Like

Just gorgeous @Elsieb - looks beautiful on that plate also.

Amazing!!!

Thanks for the compliments. I only wish I’d left well enough alone, but I just had to scrape the chocolate remnants on, it had been a perfect sheen.

2 Likes

Holiday stump with gingerbread leaves

11 Likes

Nice! What is the flavour?

Spiced apple cake, cream cheese filling, caramel Swiss meringue butter cream

I also poached some pears in a mix of pomegranate & cranberry for a lighter option.

6 Likes

Wow!

We baked and decorated Christmas cookies with the kiddies. Dough and frosting were left by my MIL a few months ago after the babe’s 2nd birthday.

I also baked more of the aged chocolate chip cookies - a hit with our friends!

4 Likes

Cute!

1 Like

I baked a cheesecake for the first time; recipe on the box of graham cracker crumbs. The topped cracked a bit but I covered it in a thick dolce and brought to my neighbor for watching my place while I was away. He said it was tasty.

Any tips on preventing cracking?

3 Likes

Yes - lots! Wrapping the bottom of the pan in foil and baking in a water bath, among other things. Maybe @Babette will chime in here, as she no doubt knows all the tricks.

What a nice thing to do for your neighbor.