Awesome cilantro - your recipes

Thanks for this! Trying.

2 Likes

Tiger Salad!

According to the NYT;

ā€œA bright toss of cilantro leaves and scallions, this dish, called lao hu cai, is somewhere between a salad and a garnish, adding coolness, salt and juice to the mix.ā€

3 Likes

Revisiting. Thanks!

1 Like

Le Galopin, Paris restaurant, served various bouillons with coriander seeds steeping in the bottom. They provided a lovely accent flavor and an interesting ā€œcrunchā€.

2 Likes

I found myself with an abundance of seeds from the cilantro I grow at home, so I pickled them using this method. Theyā€™re very nice in salads and soups, and sprinkled on yogurt.

4 Likes

@small_h Wow! Those pickled coriander/cilantro seeds look fabulous! Many thanks.

Youā€™re welcome! The plants were very interested in producing seeds, and only semi-interested in producing leaves. I had to pivot from guacamole and chimichurri sauce to other stuff.

A local Mexican restaurant serves a Margarita made with muddled cucumber and cilantro, rimmed with TajiĆ­n. Weā€™ve started making them at home. REALLY good!

5 Likes

That sounds delicious. Iā€™m a big fan of cucumber drinks and cilantro sounds like the perfect accompaniment.

1 Like

Vodka, juiced cucumber, muddled cilantro and mint. shake, enjoy.
Can be cut with seltzer too.

3 Likes

I love, love, love cilantro. Most of my family will treat it as a regular veggie for homemade hotpot and throw this into the broth to blanch and then eat in bunches. Iā€™m with @PHREDDY that it is excellent in banh mi. I always ask for extra cilantro when I can.

One of my favorite cilantro forward dishes is probably West Lake Soup. My favorite renditions of this are very light (chicken broth, thickened), with small, fairly fine minced beef thrown in toward the end to just cook, and then a crap-load of chopped cilantro! Taste should be (IMO) 50% light, yummy broth, 48% cilantro and 1.5% soft, mild beef, and then I add my own ground white pepper for the final .5% flavor.

3 Likes

Any tips for keeping cilantro fresher longer?

I have tried everything @Rooster, but I havenā€™t been satisfied with anything so far. I do usually take the twistie off when I get it home and wrap the bunch in paper towels, then in a plastic bag. It seems to help a little.

However, typically the cilantro I buy at the Asian markets lasts incredibly longer! I believe itā€™s due to the handling of the product. The Asian store cilantro is dry when you buy it and is already in a plastic bag. I think regular supermarkets drown theirā€™s constantly in those sprays.

Thanks. I frequent a local Asian market and they sell fresh cilantro but dry boxed and small bundles in a cellophane bag. I will give both a try.

Cilantro with roots tends to last longer. It will be fresher where turnover is faster, that helps too.

I remove the rubberband, wrap loosely with newspaper and then back into the produce bag - loose / slightly open even.

1 Like

My neighbor swears by this special Rubbermaid container for her homegrown microgreens, and said they are very well reviewed. We borrowed it a few days and the greens stayed very fresh and crisp.

2 Likes

I almost always buy cilantro with the roots still attached and I plop the whole bunch in a mason jar of water and keep it on my kitchen counter or in the fridge. I do a change of water every now and then if they donā€™t get used and freshen up the leaves with a sprinkle of water. I do this with many fresh herbs (basil, perilla leaf, mint, etc). They keep forever like this.

3 Likes

Great help! Iā€™m going to give all suggestions a try.

What I did not tell you that Mrs. Phreddy, has the ā€œgeneā€ that makes cilantro taste like woody mush to herā€¦None the less she does pick it up in the market for meā€¦and I do enjoy itā€¦

I have a similar system with glass container with a tray at home, but I use it mostly for meat and cheese, forget to test with herbs and vegetables too. Thanks for reminding.

1 Like