"Stop Food Waste"

Are you talking about the same stuff packed with cameras to absorb moisture?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed that. The tag came with the Google search for the product.

I don’t think the product in the packet for absorbing ethylene is the same as the hydroscopic dessicant packets used for cameras, electronics, and tools. The latter I used to get in bulk from Harbor Freight, now they’re cheaper from Amazon if you watch the prices. I use CamelCamelCamel to automatically track prices and send me an alert when there is a good deal on dessicant, Triscuit Minis, kitty litter, and other First World critical items.

2 Likes

30 hours, washed, spun, layered with damp paper towels in the spinner.

Definitely made it more likely it was on the menu tonight.

4 Likes

Looks like a 72 hour keeper. grin

1 Like

9 days! Damp paper towel on top is dry, uppermost leaves limp, but several looking good enough to eat. But I havent eaten them, and got some more in. Y every two week csa box.

4 Likes

I read somewhere to soak berries in acidulated water, then drain/dry and store - to slow spoilage.

The real issue I have is that organic berries have such a fleeting moment of ripeness before they start spoiling.

@shrinkrap have you tried refreshing limp greens in cold water? Have always read about it but I don’t eat enough lettuce to know if it works.

2 Likes

Last year we had a special order of wild mushrooms - it arrived in a cardboard box, and they said to leave the mushrooms in there till use, and they would last a few weeks. I was skeptical, but even a few weeks down the last of them had dried up a bit but were still usable.

The packaged ones from the grocery store are done a disservice by the tight plastic wrap. When I buy them loose, they always seem to last longer.

2 Likes

Same, but I put them back in the thin bag, loosely wrapped. They last a while longer for me that way.

Salsa verde, chutney, charmoula, or “pesto” (non-basil) are my attempt at reducing herb waste - when I am not being lazy.

There was a side discussion on storing herbs a while back.

1 Like

I do, and it does. Some types of lettuce more than others.

3 Likes

I love it- I’m going to post this on the fridge door right after I pull the basil that my husband put in there yesterday out and put it in a jar of water

1 Like

I’ve had cut basil last 3 wks on my kitchen counter. After you put the stems in water, also put a plastic bag loosely around the whole bouquet. It creates a warmer/humid atmosphere that they like.

3 Likes

Speaking of stop food waste, we had a somewhat small dinner yesterday and I thought I’d bulk it up with smoothies. We should have called these the no-one-wants-this-fruit-anymore smoothies :slight_smile: There were 3 languishing pluots in the crisper drawer that were wrinkled and soft. There were 2 tiny honeydew melons that I grew but that did not have ideal flavor. They had been in the fridge a week. Add to that a whole large nectarine whose texture was mealy. A little juice, a few froz blueberries (nothing wrong with those) and voila, saving the fruit. I’ve been known to use this trick before. And if I have sad looking veg, they usually go unnoticed when thrown into a veg soup, or sauteed and put into a meatloaf. I am a big proponent of stop the waste.

2 Likes

My mother did that, and would wrap any tomatoes or cucumbers,etc. that had been partially used in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge. Ruined a lot of partly used produce. Although why you’d have half a leftover tomato I have no idea. Put some salt on it and eat the darn thing.

3 Likes
1 Like

if anyone in the food supply chain wants to reduce food waste, they could start by making less than 20 people/serving packages available.
we’re a two person household - the “family pack” is not appealing - things go bad/stale before they get used. I’m not about to eat the same thing for five days simply to used it up…
demographics are shifting - the food chain is not.

2 Likes

I’ll put in a plug for Tamar Adler’s An Everlasting Meal. It’s one of my favorite books, and it literally changed the way I both cook and manage our resources.

2 Likes

I’m just the messenger!

1 Like
1 Like

Apps:

Flash Foods:

Too Good To Go: