Awesome cilantro - your recipes

Bahn Mi sandwiches, we load up the fresh cilantro.
The water bouquet tip is working out well.

3 Likes

Glad that method is working for you @Rooster. Did you get some with the roots still attached?

I’ve never run across cilantro with roots attached at any super, Asian or FM markets. Wonder why?

I’m getting ready to post my favorite cilantro recipe shortly.

Mine pretty much always have the roots attached

Cilantro Chutney

2 cups cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 large jalapeño with seeds *
2T dry roasted peanuts
1 tsp sugar - cane or agave syrup (any sugar really)
1 tsp cumin seeds or 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
4 T fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste

Put all in the food processor and purée until smooth
Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste
If it’s too thick add a teaspoon of water

Excellent garnish for curried soups, to use as a dip for samosas, a spread for naan bread, or a dip for pita chips or bread.

• substitute Serrano’s for the jalapeño if you want it spicier

I used to buy frozen samosas at Costco which were delicious and came with a similar tasting dip. I think they were Amy’s organic brand & they were so good until they changed up the recipe. I don’t buy them anymore, but I went on a search for the dip. This is adapted from a blog, which adapted a recipe from Mangoes and Curry leaves.

I understand this may be familiar fare for some of you, but we have very mediocre Indian foods up here and I haven’t done much Indian style cooking. And my husband thinks he hates it! May have to reorient him, because I love it. He loves this fresh chutney though

5 Likes

Interesting @winecountrygirl - our are always lopped off at the stems before they get tortured by those metal twist ties and survived the drownings. Quite puzzling!

2 Likes

HYes, a lot of roots. I trimmed them a bit and like flowers I buy my wife, I created a counter vase and a frig vase. The counter vase did better.

Looking forward to your recipe post.

It’s a bit hit or miss at my local Asian markets. Usually you can find them with the roots, but on occasion I can only find them with the roots removed.

@Rooster - interesting that your counter vase is doing better than the fridge base. I would have thought otherwise.

Recipe up thread.

We keep the kitchen area cool.

Very close to mine (ie my mom’s).

Our base recipe is nut-free. Lemon juice and sugar are always to taste, and at the end (we’re probably in the 1-2T acid area).

Variations include the peanuts in your recipe, adding mint (in addition or in place of some of the cilantro), and fresh or desiccated coconut. Some use onion and tomato too, and skip the sugar (I don’t like this version at all).

Western food processors are rarely able to process down cumin seeds, so I use powder.

Jalapeños add their own distinct flavor
 I tend to use Indian or Thai green chilies or serranos instead.

For small quantities I use the immersion blender (or its mini processor) for a fine purée.

3 Likes

Thank you @Saregama for all this additional information - I do appreciate it!

1 Like

Cilantro-Yogurt dip

Grate a clove of garlic into a bowl of Greek yogurt.

Add a lot of finely chopped cilantro, plus any other fresh herbs at hand (mint, parsley, dill).

Season with salt, pepper, and a splash of red wine vinegar or lemon or lime juice.

Let it sit for a few hours for the flavors to meld.

Great as a dip, or as an accompaniment for kababs or other grilled meats or spicy foods. (I’m also liable to eat it by the spoonful if it’s leftover).

4 Likes

Get to Know Culantro, the Herb That’s More Cilantro-y Than Cilantro

1 Like

I highly recommend Meera Sodha’s recipes! So fresh and vibrant, well seasoned.

I like some of the vegetable recipes from Meera Sodha’s Fresh India.

As a starter book, I have gifted many copies of Madhur Jaffrey’s Quick & Easy Indian Cooking - the recipes are easy/simplified and taste “right.”

Repeating myself here, from the cabbage thread-

I haven’t looked through this thread yet, so forgive me if I repeat somebody’s post. But try this- it’s one of my favorites.
Thinly sliced/chopped green cabbage
slightly less thinly sliced/chopped red cabbage
Chopped cilantro to taste
Raspberry vinaigrette, or maybe a blush wine vinaigrette
Mix and enjoy. It’s really good with grilled chicken and seafood, but doesn’t overnight well, FYI

Thanks to you both @ChristinaM and @Saregama!

I do have one of the M Jaffrey books, either an Invitation to Indian Cooking or a Taste of India; do you have an opinion on either of those?
Also Lord Krishna’s Cuisine - no onions or garlic (gasp)! Your thoughts?

Ok, have the M Jaffrey book on order and will order the one @ChristinaM mentioned, shortly. I have to be cagey ordering cookbooks based on their arrival times. It really sets DH off, not due to the $$ but to the sheer quantity I have. Probably 2000 or so by this point, and despite floor to ceiling built in bookshelves in a spare room, am rapidly running out of space. My name is Debbie and I have a problem
lol :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

The no onions / garlic doesn’t bother me - several regional cuisines don’t use much of either, neither does Jain food, and all of it tastes good. But it’s not the North Indian food most non-Indians are used to, so be aware of that.

Also from what I can gather this is a Hare Krishna/ISCKON cookbook, not from an indian author (which has pros and cons).

Most of her books are very good, especially the old ones. The one I suggested just has simpler / simplified recipes, including some for the oven or simple sautés, with fewer ingredients, as a lower intensity introduction.

1 Like

https://www.madewithlau.com/recipes/west-lake-beef-soup

I hadn’t heard of West Lake Soup until today. It doesn’t seem to show up on too many menus in Eastern Canada.

(Correction, I just didn’t know about it LOL. I have found it on some menus in Toronto)

2 Likes