Awesome cilantro - your recipes

What a useful tip about finding culantro. Noted for reference because now I might even be able to source it from a local market. Thanks @shrinkrap!

2 Likes

On this side of La Manche, it’s coriander as it is in France. Most times, there’s no need for further explanation as to whether its leaf or seed, as the context makes it clear. I’ve never quite understood why North Americans use “coriander” for the seed and “cilantro” for the herb leaf - I don’t think they do it with other plants, like fennel, which use both leaf and seed.

Hispanic markets and supermarkets with a sizeable Hispanic clientele carry it around here. It’s one of the key ingredients in recaito.

2 Likes

There isn’t too much better than skirt steak and a good chimichurri in my eyes!

5 Likes

Here in California I do not find it fresh in “Mexican” stores, although you can buy bottled sauces with it. On the east coast I believe it is popular among stores serving folks from Puerto Rico, and it’s called “recao” or something like that. In Florida, and other places with West Indian, especially Trinidadian clientele it’s called “shadow beni”, although I don’t think that is not how it is spelled.

1 Like

For sure…down here near Astoria, I have access to it all and use it all weekly…

2 Likes

Yes, that’s where I am.

I have seen it called recao but mostly it is called culantro around here. Shadow beni I have not seen, I will pay attention next time I’m in a West Indian market.

1 Like

Wow you guys! My daughter moved to Astoria several months ago! Well sometimes it’s called Astoria, sometimes Long Island City.

From The WFD threads it’s obvious I’m a big fan of cilantro- most commonly as a rough chopped pile on salads…
i’ve swapped in cilantro for parsley in tabbouli which is basically a different dish but whatever, very tasty.

Also great in pesto but doesn’t keep that well.

Obviously all mexican food needs lots of fresh cilantro. And any asian noodle soups.

@naf @winecountrygirl i made this soup many times in the year after they published the recipe, i am sure i added more cilantro than the recipe says.
If you don’t have a high powered blender use whatever soft greens instead of the kale, or soup doesn’t get silky smooth. I would often add a can of white beans to add silky texture and make soup more filling.
https://food52.com/recipes/31438-anna-thomas-green-soup

3 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of culantro/recao (coriander’s long-lost “cousin” from the New World) used fresh - to my taste, it’s like using Everclear in place of vodka - but it certainly stands up to being cooked better than coriander. (Also to being dried, for that matter, though that’s relative, since dried “leaf coriander” is basically pointless/useless…)

1 Like

The first place I saw Cilantro was when I moved to Flushing. I smelled it in the Korean vege store and was intoxicated. Now you can find it pretty much everywhere, even here in Westchester!

1 Like

I have seen culantro many times at Russo’s for your local source.

1 Like

I hope you know that I am a NYC lifer, and if there is anything your daughter ever needs help with feel free to contact me.
I have been involved with real estate, construction and even owned a laundromat and beauty salon…but my primary occupation is a plumber.

2 Likes

I’ve been using cilantro a lot lately too. I use it in my marinade for both chicken and beef. I don’t include measurements because that would depend on the amount of meat you are preparing.

Cilantro
Sliced Scallions
Minced Garlic
Soy Sauce
Black Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Squeeze of Lime Juice

Let your protein sit for 4-6 hours and the result is heavenly.

cilantro1

cilantro2

5 Likes

Greg I think you should try a little fish sauce with that recipe. Kunya probably has some tips too. She makes a good skirt steak! Also, do you ever make Tom kha gai? I love that soup…one of my favorites.

If you don’t have any experience don’t smell the fish sauce. It is bad. However, once cooked it doesn’t smell and tastes great if done right.

2 Likes

Oh, I love Kunya’s skirt steak. Never had her soup. A tiny bit of fish sauce would make all the difference. It certainly sets Thai curries apart from other Asian ones, so in a marinade would definitely be interesting.

1 Like

I tried cilantro in pots a few times but never had much luck either. Then a friend gave us some for the garden and now it grows like wildfire.

Sadly, as much as we like it we really only use it for Mexican food. Pico de Gallo, sometimes in guacamole, sprinkled over chicken, cheese, refried beans and grilled in quesadillas. And of course my husbands favorite - chopped onions, jalapeños, cilantro and lime as a side topping. That’s about it.

Cilantro has a fresh, bright clean flavor to me but I know a lot of people disagree😊

2 Likes

There are several green sauces with cilantro here.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes-menus/best-green-sauces-from-around-the-world-pesto-salsa-verde-chimichurri-article

I’m going to try Charmoula!

1 Like

Chicken soup
Garbanzo bean/Tripe soup
Vegetable soup
Minestrone soup
Lentil/potato/carrot soup
We finely chop and use it as a garnish and sometimes mix it with green onions.

Charmoula rocks. I made it once or twice though it hasn’t gotten into my playbook yet. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like