Are there any ingredients that completely ruin a dish for you?

Just like my FIL, and he is Italian !!

I have a tin of it at home and you can see the specks of truffle

You have got the real thing. Mine is just salt.

1 Like

I worked in prep at a steak house. Huge containers of mayo, ketchup & relish - Thousand Island Dressing. The smell of it. . . :frowning:

1 Like

I forgot about strawberries. I made a surprise party for my parentsā€™ anniversary when I was 19 and had to cook all the food at my then boyfriendā€™s momā€™s house. I made a strawberry bavarian and all she had to crush the berries was a new garlic press. To this day, I canā€™t even stand the smell of strawberries!

Bananas, raw green peppers, canned fruit cocktail, miracle whip, raisins in thingsā€¦ but the one thing I am most repelled by is fresh papaya. Even worse: the papaya on canned topical fruit cocktail. Makes me gag.
Also,from childhood: canned pear ā€œnectarā€ā€¦ gross!!!

2 Likes

Exactly. They ruin and overpower the flavor of everything they appear in. I also loathe peas, but I can eat around those if necessary.

I see a few people have mentioned items they had too much of when they were kids. I can relate. I was served so much chicken when growing up, that I avoided it like the plague for the next 20 years. Although I eat it now, I still donā€™t seek it out.

For GF, itā€™s raisins, and sweet pickles.

Sour Cream. It cannot so much as touch my potato latkes, and if it is in a burrito I will give it to a friend to eat. Total non-negotiableā€¦

And when I think something is tart but turns out to be sweet - ever think you are getting a cranberry muffin and it turns out to be a chocolate chip muffin? Instant gag.

1 Like

you must be rel, maated to my son.
No white stuff meaning sour cream, cream cheese, feta cheese, creme fraiche , mayonnaise.

i think you may be correct - most of the things on your list are strictly off-limits to me, and for the things that i can at least tolerate (cream cheese for sure, mayo perhaps) i enforce a very strict ā€œratioā€ requirement!!

sorry about typo
My son just does not like them, no dietary restriction at all
Ever since he was a little boy, she the school bus driver gives them a rare treat, drive them to McDonaldā€™s , he refused to order not only because of mayo but ketchup.
No mushroom of any kind either.

People with a long list of things they donā€™t want to try completely ruins COOKING a dish for me. Okay, not completely.

Canā€™t think of any ingredient that completely ruins EATING a dish.

Working on it.

4 Likes

Any sugar in coconut rice. Blech. I like sweet rice pudding, but as an accompaniment to savory curries etc I find sweet coconut rice nauseating.

Also not big on fresh dill or caraway seeds, both of which contain S-carvone. Tastes soapy to me.

We could NEVER be a twosome. I even grow it, and have pots of frozen pesto in my fridge. Mushrooms would also be problematic.

I grow pots of lavender too, but have never eaten it.

I must confess, my sister made a mincemeat pie that supposedly had raisins, but between the spices and all the other fruit, you couldnā€™t tell.

I ate raisins on Christmas and lived! :rofl:

6 Likes

i canā€™t handle even banana bread. although a woman at work brought in some chocolate banana bread and there was enough chocolate that the i couldnā€™t taste the banana.

1 Like

while itā€™s not something iā€™d seek out, iā€™ve had lavender shortbread and it was lovely.

eta: just remembered a lavender and chocolate scone i had awhile back that was also tasty.

New Yorker cartoon a few weeks ago: Man enters bedroom wherein his wife is in bed with a giant green leaf, encaptioned, ā€œCilantro ruins everything!ā€

4 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Edible cartoon and comics

2 posts were split to a new topic: Awesome cilantro - your recipes