Appliances on your Countertop...

Which machine? I’ve been eyeing the lussino musso for about a year but it’s an investment and I don’t eat much ice cream.

I don’t have any appliances on my counter. I have a tiny rental kitchen in North Chicago.

I have a cuisinart 14 cup processor and a vitamix that I keep on a shelf. The FP comes out once or twice a month. The vitamix gets used a few times a week.

Love the 32 oz small container for the vitamix. Curious about the metal ones that are out now.

No microwave, no toaster, no coffee machine.

Apparently I’m a bit of a luddite.

3 Likes

Wow! I had not heard of that one before so I looked it up and, “it’s an investment” is an understatement.

Mine is super-cheap and +/- 20 years old. It’s a Rival GC8151 and they still sell one with this number plus “-WN” appended. Mine is 1-quart and the “-WN” version I saw on Amazon is 1.5 quarts.

It has really pitiful reviews, 2.7-star, mostly (a) poor design (plastic cracked, motor failure) and (b) doesn’t freeze the ice cream so you get “ice cream soup”. Maybe they make other models that are better.

I’ve had no trouble from (a) but as to (b), the problem is one needs to have a very cold freezer to store the gel bucket or it won’t freeze the ice cream well - as soon as the ingredients go in, the bucket starts warming and never gets the mixture cold enough.

Also the instruction to mix ingredients and put in a cold refrigerator hours prior to using really must be followed, especially if the freezer one stores the bucket in is not very cold. This is cumbersome - must plan hours ahead and was also reflected in the complaints.

I have 2 refrigerators. The newer upstairs freezer cannot be set colder than - 8°F (~ - 22°C) and the fridge runs 38°F (~ 3°C). My old fridge in the basement runs - 25°F (~ - 32°C) freezer and 33°F fridge even set to the warmest setting.

With the bucket in the upstairs (warmer) freezer, I have to chill the ingredients downstairs in the colder fridge to get a good consistency. Otherwise it will be very wet and start liquifying as soon as it’s served into bowls.

I’ve had no problems when I have had room to store the bucket in the downstairs colder freezer. but often it’s packed with meat and the bucket takes up considerable space.

Panasonic Flash Express Toaster Oven 4, 10 → this is one of the best purchases for anything in life!!!

2 Likes

Yup… amazing appliance.

There are quite a few “poachers” out there, Harters. Mine is a “4 egg cup” version by Demeyere:

1 Like

Smallish kitchen for New York.
KitchenAid mixer, 27 years old, two of the speeds are now the same, use several times per week.
KitchenAid blender: a couple of time per week
SodaStream
Toaster: daily
Cuisinart microwave: only works on high for the last number of years. Used multiple times daily husband’s tea and coffee water. Also leftovers.
Burr coffee grinder.

In the pantry (really, half of coat closet with plastic shelves):
ice cream maker: seldom used
KitchenAid food processor with badly broken, unreplaceable canister, but the motor is perfect. Use it perhaps twice a week. Maybe 25 years old?
Slow cooker: heaven knows, maybe 30 years old, use it once a week or so, more in summer.

1 Like

Interesting. What do you use the slow cooker in the summer for?
I would have ventured for most it is a wintertime appliance.

For me it is stuff like chili, pasta sauce, anything that needs to simmer for hours on a cooktop or in the oven.

4 Likes

I do use it like Scottin, but the summer use is particularly to keep from getting the aparetment too hot.

4 Likes

Breville Smart Oven 7/10
Breville FP .5/10
Mr. Coffee 5-cup 7/9
FoodSaver 4/8
LG microwave 6/10
Coffee grinder 7/10

Oh yes, I had coat closet and linen closet pantries when I lived in Manhattan apartments. One studio had so little counter space that the toaster lived on top of a cart in the coat closet next to the kitchen, with an extension cord running out the door. The only appliance on the counter there was a microwave.

2 Likes

For what do you use a food saver 4 times weekly? I have one but only use occasionally to freeze extra meat bought in bulk.

Four times is an average with higher use in the summer when I’m harvesting and prepping garden vegetables for freezer storage. I also use it to vacuum seal leftovers such as lasagna, tomato sauce, soup, etc. It is also useful to seal (not vacuum) things like chip bags. I also have the attachment to vacuum seal mason jars.

Are you using it for sous vide pouches? The reason I ask is that my pouches sealed with my FS regularly develop small leaks in the SV bath.

No, I don’t use sous vide. Leftovers like lasagna or garden harvests are vacuum sealed and put in the freezer. I get the bags at https://foodvacbags.com/

Caitlin, I am baffled about how people can cook with only the amount of storage in the actual kitchen in NY. I have a reasonably large pot rack and that is where everything but the dutch oven hangs.

2 Likes

small Oester toaster oven 9

Terchnivorm Moccamaster Cup one 9

Vollrath Mirage Induction 9

Vollrarth Cadet Induction 7

I have available:

plugin rice cooker/steamer 7
plugin Ovente infrared hob 9

plus built in

microwave 9
“roaster” oven 10

I spent years in a studio where the kitchen was literally a corner of the main space, with only one lower cabinet (beside the one under the sink), and one wide drawer. It felt like a huge luxury to move into a place with a galley kitchen. I always had a freestanding cabinet for dishes and glasses, so the kitchen held cookware, though I never had counter off storage space for a stand mixer or toaster oven with such limited counter space and other than spices and condiments, non-refrigerated food lived in a closet. I was lucky to live in apartments with decent closet space!

3 Likes

My wife despises clutter anywhere, so I have to lobby long and hard to have any appliance permanency on the countertops. HG toaster oven. Old shiny Oster blender, Krups coffee maker.

Love my stick blender, though. Gonna die soon, I fear. About to buy a new one. Any advice? I’m a high school counselor, so price IS an object.

2 Likes