Appliances on your Countertop...

My Bosch dishwasher is the single most important appliance for me. I never do prewash and the dishes always come out clean.

Maybe change the tablet? I am using Finish tablet. When the dishes are dirtier I go for the one with red ball.

5 Likes

I agree about the ice maker needing a removable water tank. I keep ours in the utility/luaundry/pantry room, using it every few days.

1 Like

On the counter:

Electrolux Kettle - daily, 9/10
Samsung big toaster - four times weekly, 9/10
Anskarrum stand mixer - once a month, 9/10
Magimix Power blender - once a month, 9/10
Magimix 5200 FoodProcessor - four times yearly, 9/10
Kitchenaid Minichopper - twice a month, 8/10
Nestle capsule coffee machine - daily, 9/10

In the cupboard:

Kitchenaid Minichopper XL - once a month, 9/10
Kitchenaid Cordless IB - once a month, 9/10
Kitchenaid Cordless hand mixer - four times a year, 9/10

I’m actually surprised over how little I use my electrical appliances in the kitchen.
I prefer to mix dough and force meat by hand - better feel. I rarely make soups these days and never drink smoothies……
I live 200 meters from a big halal butcher, so I get most of my meat minced at his place (unless it’s pork of course)
We rarely make desserts at our home.

I have a bunch of very very sharp kitchen knives and have a pretty good cutting technique, so rarely need to use machines for cutting and I only cook for two.
My wife has very good cutting technique too, she even refuses to use the garlic press I gave her.

2 Likes

The slicer is brought out for $$$ ham, and charcuterie, cheeses, etc. The cubesteak machine I don’t use much at all, but it’s handy for chicken-fried steak.

Yup, but here is my first experience with Samsung, and why they are at the bottom of my sh*t list.

Brand new, locally purchased $3500 TV… dead out of the box. Returned it for a replacement (in hindsight should have chosen another brand).

During the first year the replacement started to flicker. Contacted Samsung and went back and forth with them over a period of months, during which a technician (with NO diagnostic equipment what so ever - only boxes of sub-assemblies he would try replacing to address the issue) was dispatched twice to correct the problem.

After the second unsuccessful attempt, contacted Samsung again only to be told my TV was now out of warranty, and my only options was full labor and 50% parts. Asked to speak to a supervisor and was transfered to a quite rude guy that basically hung up on me when I was not willing to accept their “out of warranty” stance. Additional calls were not returned.

Contacted an attorney who told me that since this was an issue that began within the warranty period, and that they could not correct it, they were in breach of warranty, and that California’s consumer protection statutes were pretty clear about this.

So, sent a certified letter addressed to the president of Samsung USA that I would be filing a CA small claims suit for breach of warranty. I was then contacted 3 days after their receipt of my letter to arrange a replacement for the TV… which literally exploded 30 months later.

More recently (and don’t put heavy items in your fridge door shelves) I spent a week with friends last August during the CalDor Fire evacuation. They had a Samsung fridge whose door shelves were separating from the door due to a really crummy design. I managed to fix them at the time using a hot glue gun, but in retrospect should have turned the whole thing off to warm up (throwing out all of their food) and then use an epoxy (because they said the hot glue fix did not last).

So while I am glad your experience with their products has been better than mine, if there ever is an issue I hope they have learned to treat their customers better than they did me. Nevertheless, I will never purchase (or recommend) one of their products again.

3 Likes

Wow. I’d feel the same way. Wonder if they redesigned/corrected the fridge door shelving? Or maybe it’s just a difference in models. I just looked and I’ve got about 25 pounds hanging on the right side door between milk, soy milk, almond milk, creams, etc., and that’s pretty common around here. That’s only if everything is new/full, so obviously the weight changes over time. I guess the max I could get on it would be 35 (4 x gallon plus 3 pounds butter), but I won’t test that.

Edit: It’s amazing that you had to go as far as you did; it’s also amazing that companies often ignore customer problems unless they get a “hot email” from on-high.

I had a silly situation like that with a medical insurance company. Luckily about the time I was ready to blow a gasket, it was “health fair” week at work and at that time we had 4 choices for insurance, and we had reps from all 4 on site. I gave the rep my phone number and acct number, briefly explained the incredibly stupid situation (driven by an error in the flowcharts the customer service people were using), and said I’m taking my family of 6 to another guy if this isn’t fixed post-haste.

I got a call later that day - “OK, Lloyd, your surgery has been pre-approved”.

1 Like

Dunno… I didn’t ask when they bought it. It was a two door fridge with a freezer drawer below. No high tech stuff like windows or displays.

I’m super jealous of those owning a vitamix and robotcoup

hey. does anyone own a robotcoup? How much did you pay and how do you like it?

I have a shocking amount of crap on my counter kitchen counters and islands, and surprisingly most of the items are not appliances. I really need to clean my **** up.

Breville Oven – 3-4/week, sometimes more
Zojirushi rice cooker - 2-3 times a week (but I make a few days worth of rice each time, so really…I eat food from it almost every day)
Zojirushi hot water dispenser – every day, every 2 hours. I fill this 4L unit up multiple times a week
Nespresso - daily, but mornings only

2 Likes

I have the usual suspects on the counter: Kitchen Aid six quart stand mixer, food processor, toaster oven, blender, stick blender and microwave. I don’t have a set schedule for using them. I use all of them except the microwave often.

I also have an iPad which I use constantly when I make online recipes.

3 Likes

I have a circa 1970s JC Penney food processor made in France by robot coupe. Does that count? I don’t use it very often.

3 Likes

Small, crappy kitchen.
Countertop-
Iced tea brewer
SodaStream (does that count?)
21"TV
Burr coffee grinder
Microwave
Electric kettle
Cold press coffeemaker

Stored elsewhere- in kitchen and garage cabinets
Hand mixer
Kitchenaid stand mixer
Way too many crockpots in varying sizes
Electic roaster
3 Cuisinart food processors, small, medium and large
Cuisinart juicer
Cuisinart ice cream maker
Bread machine
Zojirushi rice cooker
Dash mini rice cooker (I use it for steel cut oatmeal)
Dash mini waffle maker
Electric pressure cooker
Small Instant Pot
Ninja blender

And probably some others that I can’t think of right now.

2 Likes

I have (as will be listed below) a Magimix, the home use version of the Robot Coupe. It replaced a Cuisinart badged home use Robot Coupe from the eighties. I loved the old one. The new one performs the same way but with more ease of operation.

2 Likes

On the counter:

Two toasters, an ancient Dualit four slice and, for ease of operation for my autistic son (one button) and as an extra oven, a Breville Smart Oven
A fifteen year old microwave on a shelf
In a corner, a circa 1975 lift bowl KA and a new Magimix
A late seventies Russell Hobbs electric kettle
In the coffee corner, a venerable Capresso burr grinder and Bonavita, both getting pretty old, a Sette 270 grinder for espresso, and a half century old copper and brass Elektra lever espresso maker

In a closet or drawer:

A KA hand mixer
A Bamix IB
A Waring waffle iron
An Insta-Pot
A Waring Blender

1 Like

Forgot the toaster- it’s on the counter

The sole appliance permanently living on the countertop is a SS electric kettle, used multiple times everyday. In addition there is an Austrian enameled steel whistling kettle on the stove.

Until a couple of months ago, there was also a Nespresso machine. It was used far too intensively (8 to 10 times a day at least). When it started to leak, I decided I was done with pods and it was a good time as any to cut down on coffee. So I’m currently using my old Melior French press. We’ll see how long I’ll stay the course… I might pull the plug on a fully automatic espresso maker with integrated grinder rather sooner than later.

On shelves:
A toaster
An immersion blender: my sole problem with it is that it can’t be used directly in tin lined copper pans as the business end is SS. Suggestions/recommendations on that front are welcome.

In cupboards below counter:
A basic rice cooker, used at least once per week
An old (inherited) Rowenta FP from the 70’s or 80’s with a rather original (the bowl is actually in the shape of a ball) but surprisingly effective design, still working fine but used very irregularly (mostly for grinding carrots).

The rest is stored on shelves in the basement and schlept upstairs when needed:
A deep fryer
A 3 tier electric steamer
A breadmaker
A Marcato pasta linea machine
A waffle maker
A smaller waffle/sandwich maker
A raclette table grill
A 16" crepe maker

3 Likes

Does your IB not have those prongs that keep the blades from hitting the pan? I use my Bamix in tinned copper to no ill effect.

No indeed, it doesn’t have prongs. The blade is enclosed in a kind of perforated SS cupola with a wavy rim. At roughly any speed except at the lowest setting, the machine is sucked downward and the tips of the cupola’s rim remain glued to the bottom of the pan with a force proportionate to the speed one is using. Any attempt to move it around would scratch the copper lining. You don’t get that downward pull with the Bamix ?

I own the cordless Kitchenaid IB and it came with a protective hollow rubber cap that lets you use the blender in the pot/pan without scratching the bottom of the pan at all.

Maybe more like 4 or 5 times a year, now, vs twice a year. Two of the daughters are home from college this weekend and they and their brother rediscoverd the ice cream machine, and decided to make a quart (scant) of Matcha ice cream.

They followed an online recipe unquestioningly that said use 5 tablespoons of Matcha powder. Well, first, that stuff’s not cheap. Second, the normal dose is 1 teaspoon per cup of liquid. What they made ended up more than quadrupling that. While I won’t say it was bad, and I did enjoy it, it definitely reminded me of my time as a kid baling alfalfa hay. Not to mention quite a bit of caffeine for an ice cream.

They’ve already outlined plans for lemon, orange, and red bean ice creams to come.

3 Likes