Anybody cooking pork for New Year's Day?

Vestiges of New Year’s day. Roast pig tail.

3 Likes

Too “rich” , even for me.

The Ethiopian flavored black eye peas taken with the camera on my new Samsung tablet.

8 Likes

Oh yum @shrinkrap! Did you use berbere spice in there? Beautiful pic.

1 Like

Thank you and I did!

I’m doing Berbere pigeon peas and Serious Eats pork chops this year.

2 Likes

Ham hocks in the black eyed peas and bacon in the turnip greens. Probably pork fat in the cornbread.

Pork because pigs move forward as they forage.

Never use poultry for New Years…they scratch for their survival and move backwards as they do so…bad energy for the coming year (that’s the belief I. the American South)

4 Likes

I found a BYGOF piece of pork shoulder, so of course I got two. Not a crazy amount but some of us five don’t like “fatty meat”. No skin but I think I want to try pernil spices again.
I found fresh black eyed peas and hope to make the one witg coconut milk and berbere spice again.
Fresh collards looked ratty so I’m holding off for now.

1 Like

Alright, tell me you’re making corn bread as well. Collard greens beg for corn bread.

I prefer cochinita de pibil with shoulders.

1 Like

Shoulder in my part of the world gets marinated in mojo and braised. Lots of mojo pork and lechon asado for leftovers this week (not at my house but in the area).

I usually make blackeyed peas and greens with cornbread, but thisnis making me think hard about mojo with rice and pigeon peas or caldo gallego.

(Im 100% anglo but living in FL means Cuban and Puerto Rican food shows up in my kitchen regularly)

3 Likes

That black-eyes peas recipe was great. :slightly_smiling_face:Recipes using black-eyed peas

1 Like