All the things you do with beets

Ha! Didn’t even look at the recipe, just knew I would like it, because I love all things beet. I do have Pom molasses in the fridge too. Can’t wait to try @Rooster & thanks for sharing. Anything you’d do differently?

I’m thinking I may skip the yogurt and just make the beets.

1 Like

Interesting idea @Rooster!

Thanks. Typical off the cuff pairing on what I had on hand and how can I make this work

1 Like

Thanks. It was just a couple small portions of salmon. And beet greens which is always the focus

1 Like

Russian Beet Salad with Walnuts and Prunes.

Lithuanian Beet and Bean salad

Finnish Beet salad

Wow- Beet- Tuna- Capers- Chickpeas-Herbs
https://guidosfreshmarketplace.com/blog/french-beet-panzanella-tuna-chickpeas-capers/

2 Likes

I made something based on rosolli, using sour cream instead of cream, and omitting the carrots. Tasty! I will make it again!

@MsBean this borscht with ginger was interesting https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/sep/28/papushkas-borscht-by-olia-hercules

I’m thinking about trying to use up a jar of pickled beets in a borscht, to clear up room in the fridge.

1 Like

That looks delicious. Thanks for tagging me on this thread I must has missed it but it looks like a lot of fun.

1 Like

I googled pickled beet borschts. The links look like typical home cooking blogger recipes that would be the same as what I cobble together.

1 Like

I’m quite sure your’s would be a lot better.

1 Like

I got some golden beets in my CSA box, and thought this make ahead strategy will work in my home

3 Likes

I saw some in our local grocery store on our last shopping trip. I will look for them again. I love beets, but hate dealing with the mess of the red ones. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

This is a tasty beet preparation - I halved the recipe and served it at Thanksgiving a few years ago. It’s colorful and delicious

3 Likes

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned my favorite thing to do with beets (or order them): patsaria me skordaliá, i.e. roasted or steamed red beets with supergarlicky potato dip.

I find beets work best when they have a salty counterpart - another favorite is sliced beets with feta, oregano & olive oil.

3 Likes

And by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock!I wonder if it is in the cookbook I have.
Sending that one to Paprika!

@linguafood , I bought some Israeli feta just to go with.

1 Like

Skordalia is a garlic dip (skordo) more than a potato dip. It can be made with potatoes or with bread. :garlic:

The bacala (bakaliaros) with beets and with skordalia is a trio that goes together during Lent and other days that Greeks fast.

There’s more potato/bread than garlic in the dip, though no? It’s not like toum. I prefer the potato version :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, but onion dip is also more sour cream-mayo than onion. Lol. The potato/bread is the vehicle for the garlic.

Another variation from the North.https://www.dianekochilas.com/giant-bean-skordalia-with-crunchy-spicy-nuts/

Thanks all! I used a bunch of your ideas and made this salad.

There were lettuces from the garden, some preserved lemons from last year, and some orange jamalade I made in the dressing.

Also Israeli feta, pistachios, s&p.

3 Likes