All the things you do with beets

I have a cooking blog called The Kitchaissance Blog and I made a Harvest Grain Bowl with roasted beets along with roasted parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, and red onion.

I like the look of this. I won’t make it tonight, but I’m going to combine roasted beets with cooked spaetzle, toasted walnuts, sage and parmesan tonight.

2 Likes

I save the juice from the can of pickled beets and add it to cooked white rice. Its both a fun flavor and color.
This picture’s color is a little off, but that is my camera. Trust me, its a fun “pink” color.
I can’t bring myself to throw the red pickled juice out, so I make for a nice side dish.

1 Like

Use it to pickle hard boiled eggs.

4 Likes

When I have pickled beet juice, I put hard-boiled eggs in it for a day or so. We love pickled beets and eggs.

1 Like

I can’t remember all of the ideas posted here, but we had dinner out a few weeks ago and shared an appetizer/salad of beet carpaccio. They used two colors of beets, sliced paper thin with “goat cheese cream, arugula salad, champagne shallot vinaigrette” and as I recall, there were chopped pistachios on top. Almost made me want to risk getting out my mandoline…it was so colorful and delicious.

4 Likes

Thanks for the idea, I’ll try it next time!

1 Like

With toasted pine nuts instead of walnuts

3 Likes

put them in a plastic bag and heave into the trash

Why not compost them? :wink:

1 Like

You mean you can do something else with beets besides borscht? There is soup and then there is borscht. :blue_heart::yellow_heart:

1 Like

I only buy fresh beets with tops - and almost to exclusion, only from local farm stands.

I boil/cook them in vinegar&sugar&water - then sliced for consumption.
there is one brand of ‘pickled’ beets in a jar that is decent - Aunt [sumpthin]
big name brands are usually not good; Harvard beets - don’t even think about going there…

2 Likes

The number of times I’ve read that people “trash” perfectly good food drives me batty. I only hope that trash = compost.

If I started a “earth-friendly practices” thread, I’d probably get voted off this island.

3 Likes

Not everyone has the ability to compost, e.g. city dwellers. We have a backyard, but no composting area. But I also don’t throw out perfectly good food.

I say go for it. You’d be surprised how popular such a thread might be… like your kid-centric food thread idea you’ve yet to realize :wink:

1 Like

We have community fridges around town now. I’m lucky to live 10 minutes away from one (in Kensington Market, near where you grabbed a sandwich on your visit), so I can leave produce and other groceries in that fridge for other people. The fridge clears out quickly. It’s often empty when I leave stuff.

I leave stuff I don’t like from Too Good To Go in the fridge, too.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a brilliant thing. Like a little library for food. We don’t have anything like that around here.

2 Likes

There are also some cosmetic and toiletry drop-offs. I haven’t gotten around to doing that yet.

1 Like

I put my scraps out for the rabbits and birds. Things like carrot peelings & celery tops are consumed by the rabbits.
I’m not sure which animal is eating the woody parts of the asparagus that I put out, but they disappear. I’m assuming the rabbits are??

2 Likes