Advice needed: How do you store your recipes?

I wonder though if the iPad one will work. It would be nice if they responded!!!

iPad app is for the system iOS, wouldnā€™t work on Mac OS. But you can write to them again, maybe the mail get lost, maybe they offer you a discount?

1 Like

Iā€™m just seeing this now about importing to PP. I was also having a problem. A quick chat with their support staff said it is a known issue but for now you can copy the link without the http:// and import it that way. Works for me so far.

@Gourmanda - how did you chat with them?

From their website there is an ā€œaboutā€ button which takes me to emails....support@pepperplate.com
http://www.pepperplate.com/about.aspx

Great! Thanks so much. - Wait, I just noticed. This is Pepperplate. I am looking to get in touch with Paprika.

Update, May '19: Got my big Mac a couple of years ago, and a removable HD too. Abandoned TextEdit for Word, and save all my own recipes and the collected ones in a desktop folder thatā€™s backed up as well. I am now compiling a list of family recipes, from my mother and her mother (who was a lousy cook but a brilliant baker) as well as my own, which I intend to make a book of for my granddaughters. They are now 6 and 11, and have each been cooking since before they were 5. I do print out the ones I like to cook regularly, just to reinforce my increasingly untrustworthy memory

4 Likes

Paprika

1 Like

If anyone comes across this looking for a free alternative to Paprika, or something thatā€™s web based instead of a paid app, you might find RecipeSage (recipesage.com) helpful. It has the ability to import from Pepperplate.

1 Like

Thanksgiving sales for Paprika 3, 40% -50% off for apps and desktop version.

2 Likes

I prefer the traditional way ā€¦ Books, notebooks and folders ā€¦
Mostly cookbooks ā€¦
However, I have started a separate email too ā€“ for travel rĆ©cipes from chefs and wineries, restaurants, hotels etcetra ā€¦

1 Like

I am still using Pepperplate, but I use Paprika more, which I find easier to use on my tablet.

I havenā€™t transferred everything from Pepperplate to Paprika yet. Now Iā€™ve more recipes on Paprika than on Pepperplate, glad that I have many of my recipes on my phone. The book and magazine recipes are beginning to be problematic, especially when I need to have the shopping list when outside.

2 Likes

Same here. I ended up getting to lazy to move all of my Pepperplate recipes over to Paprika, so I use Paprika for anything new. I find it easier to use.

1 Like

I like to copy and paste online recipes and put it in an app called Evernote. Itā€™s free and you can also add in different folders for different cuisines.

1 Like

For me, the biggest problem is not storage but purging. What was a favorite a decade ago is no longer of interest. Both nostalgia and sloth keep them in aps and folders when they need to be tossed.

2 Likes

I still have a (one) box of magazines and cut-out pages from of magazines and newspapers that I culled from even more than that when I moved several years ago); theyā€™re relatively ā€œneatlyā€ arranged, but not at all ā€œorganizedā€. I may or may never get around to scanning those, but for the most part, when I was still ā€œclippingā€ recipes out of physical periodicals, I mostly transcribed the ones I really Ā  didnā€™t want to lose track right away. If worse comes to worst and I lose them, Iā€™ll surviveā€¦

Digitally, I have some PDFs and MS Word files, but mostly I keep them in plain text files, semi-sorted into subfolders by category. Neither of the first two formats is going anywhere for in the fairly long-term foreseeable future, and Iā€™ll be long dead before basic ASCII files become ā€œunreadableā€, even if thereā€™s another major shift in digital storage media that requires transferring them from existing hard drives onto something else. (And at the rate things have changed over the past 40 years, chances are slim that existing operating system file system Ā  formats will change dramatically enough to render DOS/Windows files unreadable during my lifetime.) ASCII/text files are easily searched, either with (ever-increasingly sophisticated) operating system search engines, or small, fast generic search utilities.

If computer storage cheaper werenā€™t ever-increasingly cheap, Iā€™d probably purge a lot of them, as I used to do occasionally with saved magazine clippings, but as things are, it costs virtually nothing to keep them, so why not?

1 Like

Yes, I have one of those too!! But mostly I used Paprika. I still have Pepperplate and I got tired of trying to get all those recipes over to Paprika, so I still go there for reference at times. I do like Paprika though. Itā€™s much more user friendly than Pepperplate.

Iā€™m not familiar with either of those. Way   back in the dark ages (pre-WIndows), I played around with MasterCook, which was either the only game in town at the time or at least the most popular, and while some features of ā€œrecipe organizingā€ software are nice (like being able to search easily on multiple ingredients), it invariably ends up seeming like too much work trying to keep up with updates and file format changes, and (usually) programsā€™ eventual lapsing into oblivion. I did adopt its basic recipe format for the text files I save though, so it served that much purpose at leastā€¦

I do semi-regret not buying a lifetime sub to EatYourBooks in its early days, but with so   many sites coming and going at the time, ā€œlifetimeā€ wasnā€™t necessarily all it was cracked up to be, and I wasnā€™t convinced it would stay around long enough to be worth itā€¦ But as it is, a lot   of my cookbooks are still in their moving boxes, stacked against a wall in my 2nd BR :roll_eyes:, so itā€™s not like Iā€™d be making such great use of it anywayā€¦

3 Likes

Ditto that regret. I still have MasterCook, but rarely open my laptop on which is resides. Only if I need to download / print something from another file residing there, or I need to do a search in one of my personal MC cookbooks for a recipe from the late 1990s/early 2000s that I know is in Mastercook.

1 Like