September–December 2022 Baking Cookbook of the Months Nominations

Welcome to the nominating thread for September–December 2022 Baking Cookbook of the Months, where we’ll start the process of choosing a book to bake from collectively.

You may nominate as many books as you like. Please post the names of the books you are nominating in ALL CAPS for clarity. (If you’re just discussing rather than nominating a book, use regular capitalization.) Please nominate with the intention of participating should your nomination move on to voting and win. Books with the most nominations will move on to a vote.

NOMINATIONS WILL CLOSE THURSDAY, AUGUST 18 at 11 PM GMT/7 PM EDT/4 PM PDT.

Below is a list of titles previously done on Chowhound, to give an idea of the breadth of possible sources. Nothing, including these, is off the table here if enough people nominate it.

•Baking Chez Moi
•Tartine
•Rustic Fruit Desserts
•King Arthur Flour Website
•Hot Bread Kitchen
•Classic Home Desserts
•Dorie’s Cookies
•Flo Braker Quarter
•Classic German Baking
•Sweet
•Flour
•BraveTart
•The Cardamom Trail
•Golden
•The Baking Bible
•Food52 Genius Desserts
•Dessert and Baking Recipes from David Lebovitz’s Website
•Midwest Made
•Yossy Arefi’s Snacking Cakes, Sweeter Off the Vine & Blog
•Pastry Love
•Dessert Person

And please continue baking and reporting from our current selection, Baking With Dorie.

2 Likes

SNACKABLE BAKES by Jessie Sheehan

MOMOFUKU MILK BAR (could be paired with their MILK BAR: ALL ABOUT CAKE)
BOUCHON BAKERY
revisit of BRAVETART

MOONCAKES & MILK BREAD Kristina Cho
THE VANILLA BEAN BAKING BOOK Sarah Kieffer

MOONCAKES AND MILKBREAD
SNACKABLE BAKES. Have the 2 baking books

BOUCHON BAKERY T. Keller

SNACKABLE BAKES is a sentence

2 Likes

Just around three days left, so get those nominations in!

2 Likes

revisit of BRAVETART

Nominations are now closed. Once I’ve created a voting thread, I’ll link to it here.

Find the voting thread here:

Find the reporting thread here:

1 Like

Jan–April 2023 nominations are open.

1 Like

I’m nominating 2 baking books that i got recently
GATEAU
WHAT’S FOR DESSERT

I’m very interested in Gateau, can you tell me about the measurements please?

Gateau is a book with very simple recipes. She states that these are the kind of things the French bake at home. Recipes are given in volume and weights. I like to bake in weights. She will give the recipe in weights but there is never a weight for butter. What the heck is 14 tablespoons. I have been converting myself assuming 14grms is 1 tablespoon. I havent looked at the recipes close enough to see if there are other errors. Maybe Nannybakes will see this and have more to say.

1 Like

Should your nomination be on the 2023 Nomination Thread? I will put a nom for GATEAU there, as well.

@Stef_bakes Munchkin Redux is correct, you will need to nominate in the current thread.

The tablespoons of butter are a US convention. Our 4 oz sticks of butter are usually marked in 8 tablespoon divisions on their labels, so 14-14.5g is correct, and 14 tablespoons essentially equals 200g. (The markings are an easy way to divide fractions of a stick of butter in the US, but since they’re sold in round ounces, fractions aren’t quite as neat in grams.)

1 Like

I use 200g. as the weight for the butter as Caitlin has mentioned. As I’ve mentioned previously, it’s a little annoying to have weight and volume measurements mixed in the ingredient list. For example, a 1/2 c. oil, 1/2 c. yogurt. It would be far preferably to have given weights rather than volume for all the ingredients. The recipes which I have made so far are mostly variations on the yogurt cakes, of which there are many. They have all been more than satisfactory. I also subbed sour cream for the yogurt on one occasion and needless to say, it was very successful. One of the cakes I had made for Christmas was the lemon verbena cake with raspberries rather than peaches. I had pulverized the verbena leaves with sugar and froze it in appropriate quantities…not a piece left, which surprised me. The David Lebovitz chocolate cupcakes were fine but there are more interesting chocolate cupcakes out there, would not bother a repeat on that. On balance, a very nice cookbook, my granddaughter has made the chocolate marble cake and the apple clafloutis , both were well received. I expect to continue baking from the book.
ETA…I also made the chocolate bouchons which were quite good and would repeat.

2 Likes

Its a job half done