What are you baking? August 2022

Did you zest them too?

Any of the citrus olive oil cakes or pound cakes would be good.

There was a grapefruit white chocolate cake everyone was baking a while back too (I still haven’t tried it myself).

1 Like

I’d drink it or make granita/sorbet/popsicles. Or if you don’t mind something more complicated, mousse and gelee. A gelee is nice for topping panna cotta. Lots of possible tarts, but those require the segments rather than juice.
Otherwise I’d use them in cakes like the ones you mentioned and @Saregama as well.
I personally do not like curd made out of anything besides lemon/lime/passion fruit/cranberry and fruit similarly as tart and have found curds or bars made with fruit like grapefruit and orange to be very disappointing and the bright flavor of the fresh fruit muted, so I wouldn’t recommend it, but some people like using them for that. Not long ago I attempted pomelo curd since we get beautiful ones here and no matter what variations I tried still just didn’t care for it.
Can also use in salad dressing or cocktails:

1 Like

Gelee leads me straight to jelly/jello too.

I like the granita idea, might take a bit more sugar depending on the flavor of the juice.

Is the juice tasty? I might just drink it straight!

(@Shellybean your comment about curds is interesting. I had that flavor disappointment experience with limoncello vs orangecello. But not with shrubs, oddly.)

Didn’t zest - the fruit wasn’t firm anymore, and the outside was getting blemished. It does taste fine. Just very pulpy rather than juicy. That said, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill. Using it in a drink or sorbet would certainly be easier than doing a whole cake just to use up 1/4 of what I have… thanks for talking me off the ledge :slight_smile: @Saregama @Shellybean

3 Likes

I like the juice, but admittedly I love grapefruit juice, which I know a lot of people don’t care for. Since I like some bitterness and I like tartness, I find it very refreshing and prefer it to orange juice.
Pomelo juice is in my experience sweeter than grapefruit juice, but similar.

I just thought that something like a pomelo posset might be nice. Would likely have to work in some lime juice as well (or if you have it, citric acid to increase the acidity without diluting the flavor), but might be worth a shot.
And along those same lines, a pie made with sweetened condensed milk similar to key lime pie. I would use some heavy cream or crème fraiche rather than just condensed milk in the filling.

If you have pectin, pates de fruit are delicious and beautiful to make with pomelo.

And here is a fairly complex cake from one of my favorite baking channels:
https://youtu.be/3-avc8aPYOI

2 Likes

Hey, bakers, come on over and nominate!

1 Like

the momofuku milk bar has a recipe for grapefruit pie but I’ve never tried it http://the-cooking-of-joy.blogspot.com/2012/11/grapefruit-pie.html

I did the momofuku milk bar birthday cake yesterday. It was easier to assemble than I was expecting. Haven’t tried it yet!

Blueberry-palooza. This week I ran out of room in my freezer for any more blueberries, but they kept coming. As a result, a blueberry bake-a-thon:

1. Fresh blueberry tarts. Press-in cookie crust from Erin McDowell and fresh blueberry pie filling from Rose Levy Beranbaum.

2. Whole-wheat maple blueberry scones from Joanne Chang.

3. Revisiting Dorie Greenspan’s French yogurt cake with blueberries. This time I added a lemon icing, which did not hurt it a bit.

Next up will be another round of blueberry cobbler, followed by a lemon-blueberry buckle from Rustic Fruit Desserts. Will post photos of these soon.

13 Likes

All beautiful MR! Enjoy your bountiful blueberries!

2 Likes

This (not) pound cake:

Nowhere near equal amounts of ingredients to really qualify as pound cake, but it sure is delicious!
Used salted butter plus 4 g salt. Two teaspoons vanilla plus ground vanilla, and threw in 1/2 tsp of orange flower water. I wanted a single loaf so I thought an 8-inch pan would be perfect, but in the end worried it might not be big enough since the ingredients were easily over a pound. This was a mistake as the 9-inch was too big and it would have come out much nicer in the 8-inch.

6 Likes

Look great. Have you ever tried Willie’s Crisp? So good with blueberries, blackberries and nectarines.

1 Like

Look great. Have you ever tried Willie’s Crisp?

I haven’t made it ever, but Willie’s Crisp is on my list of of bakes I want to try. The black berries aren’t in yet, nor are the peaches, but soon!

Where are you ?

PNW. We had a terrible spring and early summer - cold weather. The blackberries are several weeks late. My favorite local peaches, which actually come from over the mountains, are maybe a week behind normal? Hope to have a case of those by next week. :yum:

I like it with nectarines because you don’t have to peel them. I feel it’s necessary to peel peaches; a friend of mine is lazy, doesn’t peel peaches, loves the recipe that way just fine!

2 Likes

I made Dorie’s cake too! What’s your icing “recipe”?

Yay!

I do the standard thing:

1 c. powdered sugar
2-3 T. lemon juice
Pinch of salt

I was too lazy to add lemon zest, but I think that would be a good thing here for looks alone, if nothing more.

I probably would have glazed it a few minutes earlier while just a tad warmer, but I fell asleep on the couch while it cooled!

I’ve read you can add a tiny bit of melted, unsalted butter to the standard powdered sugar icing, but I have yet to try it. Sounds decadent (in a good way).

1 Like

I swing both way on peaches. For the Willie’s Crisp I could go either way. Looks like a great recipe.

Roasted cherry financiers with almond/pistachio flour and roasted pistachio oil. These cooked in 7:30 minutes and resulted in a nice crispy edge and soft interior. Just two bites but nice to accompany ice cream.

13 Likes