Your Favorite Coffee Cup

Do you always reach for the same cup for your morning coffee? Is it yours alone, or do you share? What distinguishes it, a printed witicism, your name, its shape or egonomics, or its provenance? Was it a remembrance or momento?

Mine is a mug I got as a momento of a trip to Boston, and a dive diner there. The owners were great, and insisted I sit on “Tony Bourdain’s” barstool. It’s the perfect size and shape for me.

5 Likes

Yep. It is a cheap knock off Deruta style from SLT.

1 Like

A Spode tankard, like this but no design on it. Bought 2 at a garage sale for next to nothing; one developed a crack so I’m down to one. Shaped not to slosh on ships; works for pre-eye opened mornings as well.

5 Likes

This mug belonged to my Grandfather (mother’s side) it is from his restaurant. He taught my mother how to cook and in turn my mother taught me – or at least she tried. I don’t use this mug often, just on special occasions as I don’t want to drop or break it. It is my Favorite coffee mug.

15 Likes

That’s really cool.

2 Likes

Not what you asked for… but

I usually drink water, milk, juice…etc out of the mug on the right. It is from a bakery chain famous for many pastry, but particularly for mooncakes. I remind me of my childhood. On the left is the cup I usually drink tea with. Nothing special beside that I like its design. Sorry, I know you were asking about coffee.

10 Likes

Nice Jadeite mug. I have 2, extra-heavy, that I got before they became an expensive “thing”. Perfect size and shape for coffee. So pleasant to use. I also have my grandfather’s blue Luray coffee cup, which I treasure but never use anymore, because it has a hairline crack.

Jadeite, Buffalo China, and Victor diner mugs.

5 Likes

Does it have a roaming buffalo stamp on the bottom?

3 Likes

Espresso. With the logos of two brands of coffee I sometimes buy: Izzo and Diemme. My favourite coffee brand though is Passalacqua.

And in the background by chance my Rosenthal porcelain tea pot. In daily use for over 15 years now!!

8 Likes

Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soup, sauces etc.

https://i.imgur.com/I9X4XFo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fyZreXP.jpg

FYI, Jäger Eisenberg marks:

2 Likes

I’ll see your SLT and raise you one Pier 1, circa 1971 (IIRC).

Frighteningly enough, it says “Made in Italy” on the bottom.

6 Likes

Love it, man! I love “cafe” cups. Just broke my favorite one last month. Kaleokahu’s has that classic “cafe” style, too. Perfect coffee cup.

1 Like

Size, shape, maybe a modicum of insulation. I don’t know where it came from; I didn’t attend this school.

5 Likes

My dad had a favorite coffee cup. One day, 40+ years ago, he left it on the bumper of his ancient GMC pickup (remember flat bumpers?). He then drove a few miles to get some corn for his steers.

Somehow–miraculously–the cup was still there when he returned. Mom confiscated the cup, tied a red velvet ribbon through the loop, and hung it on a hook. Where it remains today.

7 Likes

Uh… It depends on what I’m drinking?

From right to left:
Espresso: A pretty espresso cup from Italy (sez so on the bottom of the matching saucer), picked up from TJMaxximus (reminds me of my travels in Italy)
Latte: A thin, comfortable Royal Copenhagen cup, from my last visit to Denmark
Moka: A cafe cup from one of my last visits with my mom, before she was diagnosed with cancer
Drip: A cup from an artists’ market in Somerset, England, when we (my ex and kids) stayed a month over Christmas and New Year’s in South Petherton
Tea: A large mug from a local mountain resort, where I performed numerous times on their outdoor stage

I have a cupboard full of memories of people and places, and I enjoy visiting them. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Wow. Same mug.

That’s a great story! I quite remember the flat bumpers. Used to scrape the sht off my boots on it. Tailgate’s fer sittin’, bumper’s fer cleanin’. When I was a kid, the truck bed was the backseat and where I rode. And I loved it. Hangin’ wit da dogs! My daily cup is at my school job. I get so many recruiters from the Armed Forces that I have a collection. But there’s one that’s my regular…don’t know why. I’ll snap a shot tomorrow.

1 Like

Martha Stewart has the rest of them. …
(She collects jadeite ware)

2 Likes

I drink iced coffee 98% of the time

7 Likes

Thanks. I didn’t know this.

1 Like