Your best "stupid, easy, fast and hot" meal....

Three bean curry!

Fry onions and garlic. Add spices (or curry powder/paste) & a tin of tomatoes. Simmer for a bit. Add three tins of beans - whatever you have in but try for a mix (chickpeas, flageolet and butter beans work for me). Warm through. Eat.

That usually feeds the two of us plus smallish leftovers for freezing for a future brown gloop dinner.

6 Likes

I really like that boxed soup! Yes, to quesadillas or grilled cheese. Fried egg sandwiches too.

1 Like

Very similar to my dried apricot lentils. Try adding some chopped apricots and a splash of coconut milk, @Harters :wink:

1 Like

They say if you have eggs and bread you have a meal. In my house, just replace eggs with cheese!

Preheat oven, slash cheese a few times, bake 10-15 minutes. Set up bread and/or potatoes in the meantime.

What else does one want? Cheese is the best food!

But I could also do eggs (as long as I don’t have to boil and peel any. No, no, NO.)

Best with lots of crispy chilli in oil

4 Likes

Lots of excellent ideas. Most people have things in their fridge always, or pantry always, so those make the best quick and easy meals.

If you have bread and cheese, grilled cheese. If you have tortillas, quesadilla. If you have leftover rice, a quick fried rice. If you have kimchi or fermented other veg, throw those in. Eggs on top or stirred in. If you have canned broth, soup with mystery leftover bits. Leftover pasta, toss that in. Scramble eggs and mix them in with diced anything - frittata.

When cooking for 1, I always have frozen gyoza and a jar of kimchi - super quick, filling. There is often ravioli in my fridge.

As far as cooking, the hardest thing about proteins is you have to shop shortly in advance, or defrost the night before. But if you can manage that, any protein chopped with any veg and a quick dribble of oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, etc., makes a good stirfry.

Pasta a million ways. I love to open up a bunch of pickled veg (pickles, artichokes, roast peppers, olives) and toss them with cooked and cooled pasta. Use the marinades as your dressing. Toss in canned beans for protein. Or slice some salami in there.

Pasta, cooked, cooled, and tossed with diced cukes, scallions, and pb or miso mixed with a little oil, sugar, soy, hot sauce.

I used to make a lot of chopped veg, fried briefly in a saute pan with some croutons, a little bit of cheese, and put a sunny side egg on top.

I’m pretty sure that if you saute a little onion or garlic in oil, add some pureed tomato and cream, and simmer it for 10 min, that is tomato soup. Float crackers in it.

Breakfast for dinner is a winner here. Whipping up a batch of pancake batter and heating some frozen sausage links is so much less work than a savory dinner, with all the chopping. If you have frozen fruit, make a quick compote and call it healthy. We pick berries every summer and always have frozen fruit.

Good luck!

11 Likes

Fried rice! Forgot that great vehicle for pretty much anything!

5 Likes

This is exactly what I have when I’m feeling too tired to make something more elaborate, but I never had a name for it! (My mom considers it a lazy sort of jian bing.)

3 Likes

Mine is always centered around pasta for a speedy dinner (or takeout if I’m being honest). I’m jazzed by these other options!

4 Likes

Boiled pierogies topped with butter and sour cream.
In Alberta and Saskatchewan, some restaurants offer panfried perogies as an alternative to home fries or hash browns at breakfast. Fried eggs and bacon with perogies (either boiled, or boiled then panfried with onions) make another good quick dinner.

4 Likes

You led me to riff on this for our easy, stupid dinner tonight. :blush: Thank you.

That Pacific brand soup (looked again at box; I thought it was Pacifica too) is nice for boxed stuff and lends itself to being tarted up. I only had time to swirl smoked paprika on top, which added depth.

Slices of fluffy supermarket Italian bread and sharp Cabot reduced fat cheddar made for decent grilled cheese, pressed sandwich style.

One thing I didn’t anticipate was the excitement level of our dog upon smelling the ingredients. Tomato and bread are two of her favorites when she can get her paws on them. The level of joy in the room was at an 11! A little bread and cheese may have fallen into her bowl.

8 Likes

I almost always have leftover rice in my fridge, as I try to cook 2-3 days worth of rice in advance. If I’m really out of ideas, I can always go to a fried egg or two over rice, but yolk most be runny. Runny eggs over rice and a touch of soy sauce is delish.

I also usually have a can of spam, so fried spam and rice or spam fried rice are easy. I also have Chinese sausages that I can easily slice up and steam with rice.

5 Likes

I’ve used leftover rice for frittata a few times.

@presunto re MONT D’OR…NO, NO, NO, NO, N0!!! You cannot suggest that anything that starts with Mont d’Or qualifies for this thread. I would kill to able to enjoy Mont d’Or where I live. I can buy it and several of its cousins in its short season, but around $40 for the 6" round. This puts it in the “what to enjoy on very rare occasions with a very few close friends” category. But I DO love it. And if you happen to be baking it up when I’m in the neighborhood, please call or email. I’ll be there in a stupid, fast and hot minute.

3 Likes

Tonight, home after long drive.
Grapefruit

Frozen lobster ravioli in butter with cheese
Package said = 2 1/2 servings. We ate the whole thing. DH said, “This is REALLY good.”

4 Likes

Tonight will be penne alla vodka with shrimp, but using jar vodka sauce. I just could not justify spending $4 on a container of heavy cream to make my own (of which I would have only used half and probably end up throwing the rest out).

4 Likes

It is like jianbing! I was going to mention that when I wrote it… there are so many similarities among quick, leftover, and street food across cultures.

There’s an indian version of fried rice too - called “tempered” rice - leftover rice sautéed with tempering (spices), aromatics, and whatever else is lying around. Comfort food.

4 Likes

Ah, rice. We love rice. Over the years, I’ve realized how versatile it is. I buy it by the sack load. We have it almost every day and just change the topping depending if we are in the mood for spicy, sweet, sour, savory, etc. as a side dish or on its own.

5 Likes

Is THAT what that does?

Is this is a bit easier if you’re not limiting carbs? I’m just feeling deprived.

1 Like

Just bought a bag of red Kokuho rice , 25 lbs
Took it into the garage, then after a few hours into my utility room
Too heavy to unload
When I feel stronger, would empty part of it into my rice container ( recycled from heavy SS container used in the early years , before my time for sterilizing reusable face mask, I think with ethylene oxide. It is one of the best item I have purchased as it can keep 1/3 of the 25 lbs of rice, without insect invasion by critters. I wish I had bought more. of these SS tools- was able to purchase lots of container which I use fo sugar, heavy SS tray for baking, and cooking). I use jasmine rice when I have urge for fried rice. Kokuho rice are great as left over, warmed up in microwave, they taste as though they are freshly

cooked .
If you ever see this item on sale, grab it! This measures 10 X 8. I do not even use th e hinge lock as it is really tight and easy to open.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the info. I love seeing other people’s kitchens, kitchen gadgets, kitchenware. Our rice sack is lined inside with a plastic bag and it has a zipper on the outside to keep critters out - plus we usually use it up quick enough before any problems can occur, but you never know. No problems thus far with moisture or critters, but I always like to investigate new gadgets and kitchen items. You should see my pantry - and attic - and basement. It is as though I am a professional chef for something. :grin:

3 Likes