Your beloved meatball recipes wanted

Looking for inspirations, which is your favourite recipe(s)? What do you accompany with the meatballs?

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Oh, good thread!

I definitely have a couple of good ones and will pull them out later today. Looking forward to seeing others.

Question for mods:
I saw somewhere @Bookwich asked posters not to use a copyrighted recipes (or something like that) Are we not allowed to post chefā€™s recipes? I donā€™t follow recipes strictly, tweaking them to my preference. But they do start from a supposed ā€œoriginalā€ recipe.

Thanks!

Thanks in advance! (These days my head goes blank, I think itā€™s the stress of busy schedules)

I read this, it said: photos and explanation of the steps accompanying a recipe is copyrighted, but not the ingredients lists. Giving credits to the writers and the source is greatly appreciated. "ā€¦ so technically you could post a rewritten recipe that uses the exact same ingredients without crediting the original source, and not be in violation of the lawā€¦ "Quoted from Anjali Prasertong, thekitchn.com

A photo of the recipe page from a book should be shared privately in the HO back room. :yum:

2 Likes

Okay, good to know. Great.

I do usually give credit to the source, but am lazy about writing every step, and prefer to take my own pictures, soā€¦

Thanks!

With some ideas lifted from the Maroni meatball on Throwdownā€¦ ā€œ4 eggs, Iā€™m making a quiche inside these meatballs!ā€

1 lb ground chuck
4 lg. eggs
4 oz grated pecorino romano (weighed)
1 cup bread crumbs (I used almond meal for lower carbs)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Ā¼ cup parsley, chopped (add chopped basil as much as you like or not)
1/3 cup onion, grated or chopped

Mix and make meatballs the size of lg. eggs. Bake in a hot oven just until browned, then add to sauce and simmer til done.

If I ate pasta, Iā€™d have capellini. I use either Edamame spaghetti or julienned zucchini noodles.

3 Likes

I made several meatball dishes a few months back. I think there are 2 I like. Both eaten with potatoes.

LiĆØge meatballs. Recipe from the maker of the syrup. Use more raisins and port if you canā€™t find LiĆØge syrup.

Kƶnigsberger Klopse is ā€œGermanā€. Lots of recipes online.

Oh, I also like this. Very typical in Netherlands (I never buy ready-made meatballs though). Always eaten with mashed potatoes.

But I like mine with bread. And the sauce has ketcap manis in it. It will me a bit messy with the sauce and chillies but who cares, itā€™s better than with mashed potatoes. (White stuff next to knife is grated horseradish)

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my recipe:

Baked Meatballs

Time: 30 minutes

1 kilo beef
50-80 g parmigiano-reggiano, depending on fattiness of meat
chopped fresh parsley leaves
(1 can of pellati, drained)
(several dried tomatoes, soaked)
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
150 g fresh bread crumbs or matza meal or Ā½ cup of cooked brown rice
salt and pepper to taste

makes about 25 pieces

1. Grind meat and cheese into a bowl. When meat is ground, put the bread or rice through the grinder. Add parsley, garlic, soy sauce and rice wine. Salt and pepper, if required. Mix. Form into balls the size of large walnuts.

2. Bake on a half-sheet pan, covered with parchment papet, 7-9 minutes at 450ĀŗF / 230ĀŗC. Use the shorter baking time for a pink interior.

3 Likes

Oh my wow @Presunto.

They all look great, but the Kƶnigsberger Klopse looks like something new Iā€™d like to attempt. I love white sauce w/capers, but have never tried it with meatballs. I wonder if theyā€™d be as good with ground chicken & porkā€¦ hmmm.

I looked up ā€œmeatballs & mashā€, but mostly salisbury steak meatballs & mash comes up. Is that what yours is? The dark sauce looks delicious.

P.S. Excuse my italicizing familiar food names. Itā€™s an improper habit Iā€™ve been indulging in lately.

I think I can get hold of the syrup, it looks very dark.

Iā€™m tempted by Kƶnigsberger Klopse too. Which meat did you use in the photo? Very ā€˜whiteā€™!

Broodje Bal looks like a good portable meal. Thanks for all the tips.

@StoneSoup
Thanks for the delicious recipe, Pecorino Romano will sure make a difference, I like it the idea serving with the edamame spaghetti or the zucchini noodles too, a good balance with meat.

@bcc
Soy sauce, rice wine with parmigiana reggiano with dried tomatoes? The East meets West, that I need to try. Thanks.

1 Like

Donā€™t overdo the parmigiano. I did that once, and it threw everything off. And cooked brown rice is the best filler. It gives the meatballs a nice, creamy consistency.

Thanks for the tips.

My 2 meatball recipes come from mainstream sources, but a good recipe is a good recipe.

These are deliciously moist & flavorful with the perfect texture.

Mamaā€™s Meatballs
(recipe not verbatim)
1/3 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/2 lb each of ground beef, pork & veal.
I substitute ground chicken (not turkey) for the veal. It provides the delicateness that comes from using veal.
1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs (fresh optional)
2 eggs
1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup evoo (I mix grapeseed oil with the evoo. It has a higher smoke point)
*5 cups simmering marinara sauce

-Small food processor or blender
-Parchment covered sheet pan
-Straight-sided sautƩ or frying pan

PurƩe first 4 ingredients.

In a large bowl combine purƩed mixture with remaining ingredients (except oil & sauce).

Combine mixture with hands, but do not over mix (causes tough meatballs).

Cover hands w/a little oil and form balls slightly larger than a golf ball. Place on sheet pan.

Heat (med-high) 1/2 inch of oil in pan.

Brown the balls in batches, turning once. They should only be browned, not cooked all the way thru.

Simmer in sauce for about an hour.

*Since meatballs are slightly labor intensive (and the star of the dish) I just do a semi-homemade sauce. Trader Joeā€™s has an ā€˜Organic, No Salt, No Oil Marinaraā€™. Itā€™s perfect if you want to control salt & oil. I brown a couple tbls Tomato Paste in oil, add sauce, salt & black pepper (sugar and wine are optional).

This is Rocco Dispiritoā€™s Mamaā€™s recipe. Apparently, she went to his restaurant everyday and made them herself. I donā€™t know much of anything about his restaurant or if he still has one, but this recipe caught my eye and it is f-ing delicious.

Iā€™ll take photos next time I make them.

:wine_glass: :spaghetti:

3 Likes

Naf, veal and pork mince. The syrup is more like jelly. Itā€™s also nice on bread. And yes, itā€™s very dark.

Thecookie, look up ā€œdutch meatballsā€. Iā€™m sure there are recipes in English. But nevertheless, itā€™s crazy easy to make. Just like most simple meatballs, really. I use Malaysian deep-fried shallots in the mince. Thereā€™s ketcap manis and even some Bovril in my sauce. Bovril is entirely my idea. You could use Marmite of course.

2 Likes

Thanks!

What do you think of me reducing and using that red chicken master sauce (too Asian for recipe?) and using my beef flavored Better Than Bouillon plus an unused canister of Trader Joeā€™s fried onions?

Meatballs a la Pizzaiola
Smoked Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
(Giada De Laurentiis)

Vegetable cooking spray
2 large shallots, chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in oil (drained)
1/3 cup packed basil leaves
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tbls tomato paste
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
1-1/2 lbs ground beef (15% fat)
1 lb ground pork
Can substitute beef & pork with 1/2 ground turkey & 1/2 ground Italian poultry sausage (casing removed). Use less salt when using sausage
6 oz smoked mozzarella (1/2 inch cubes)
1/3 cup olive oil (I mix w/grapeseed oil to prevent burning)
*3 cups marinara sauce, simmering

-baking sheet
-large non-stick skillet
-food processor or blender
-toothpicks (optional)

Preheat oven 350. Spray baking sheet w/oil

Pulse in food processor until blended - shallots, s.d. tomatoes, basil, shredded mozzarella, parmesan, tomato paste, pepper flakes, salt

Transfer mixture to large bowl, add meat, blend with hands (do not over mix)

Oil hands and form balls (golf ball size)

Insert 1 cube smoked mozzarella in each ball, form meat securely around cheese.

Cook 1st batch in 1/2 the oil until well browned on all sides. Drain on paper and repeat with 2nd batch.

Place on sheet pan and bake until medium doneness 8-10 mins.

*For meatballs I do a semi-homemade sauce. Trader Joeā€™s has an ā€˜Organic, No Salt, No Fat Marinaraā€™. Itā€™s perfect if you want to control the amount of salt & oil. I brown a tbls of tomato paste in oil, add sauce, salt & black pepper (sugar and wine are optional).

Insert toothpicks and serve as an appetizer with a dipping bowl of marinara in the middle of platter.

Okay, wow! I havenā€™t written down a recipe inā€¦ forever.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your 2 recipes. Both looks delicious!!

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll post pics next time I make them.

I donā€™t see why not. Here, to give it an ā€œIndonesianā€ slant they simply add ketcap manis.

Yep, I looked that up. Itā€™s soy and sugar (preferably palm sugar, but). So red sauce should work, but with a slight hint of the five spice flavors.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.