Who wants to talk about Asian dumplings?

:sweat_smile:
Ultra thin pink leather

Google translate

1 Like

LOL. What language?

Chinese, I think.

I think itā€™s ā€œcheung funā€, aka steamed rice sheets. In that case you donā€™t make dumplings with them. You fill each sheet with minced pork and mushrooms or prawns and steam.

1 Like

Thanks! Itā€™s the noodle rolls I get in dim sum that I had in mind. These are described as "Korean style " for eating with BBQ, (this link is 10 years old)

but I am hoping to give it a try in noodle rolls.

= Ultra thin flour sheets (in Chinese) If itā€™s Chinese, should be Cheung fun. But I ate some Vietnamese rolls, that is wrapped with very thin crisp, much thinner than Cheung fun, and very good.

Donā€™t know about Korean. @digga can tell you

1 Like

Re Dduk bossam, so itā€™s how some Koreans in LA like to eat Bossam with the steamed rice sheets according to the article. Interesting.

I ate Bossam a couple of times in Korea. Didnā€™t see the rice sheets. Lots of perilla leaves are used as wrappers.

1 Like

This article mentions a flour mix.

" If you do not want to buy all the different flours just for this recipe, try one of the flour mixes. Many Asian supermarkets sell cheung fun flour mixes (see above right), which may be a more convenient option. All you need to do is add water and a little oil, and youā€™ll have a batter ready to go. If you buy a Vietnamese brand, they will be labeled ā€œ bĆ”nh cuį»‘n. ā€

If you have trouble finding fun in your area, you can always make your own. Fresh steamed fun out of the steamer is one of my favorite foods.

https://www.amazon.com/FERRISA-Stainless-Vermicelli-Cantonese-Household/dp/B07N39G2B6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fun+steamer&qid=1601748358&sr=8-1

Old school. Steamed on towel.

4 Likes
1 Like

@shrinkrap I went down this path a couple of times - buying the individual starches actually worked better for me to get the right texture.

1 Like

Meant to link this.

1 Like

This was my momā€™s new thing a few months ago while in quarantine. LOL. She found this recipe for making cheung fun at home fresh, and she made me buy all the kitchen gear needed to do this for her. She says she does this a couple times a week now for breakfast every morning.

Itā€™s apparently easy, especially if you just need plain rice noodles. Getting the right thinness and texture does seem to be the hardest part, and getting adept at rolling the thin noodles up without scrunching them into a weird shape or breaking them up.

4 Likes

I assume you mean the box steamer? I have to say it took some willpower for me not to buy it :rofl:

2 Likes

My mom is in a senior home that comes with a tiny kitchen, so she needed smaller versions of what others use. The video she saw showed a woman with a small tray that had a taller lip to it - not a full box steamer. :stuck_out_tongue: Thereā€™s also this scraper that the woman used that helps to roll the rice rolls in more easily. The box steamer would be cool, but that may be too much even for my full size kitchen!

1 Like

Youā€™re making this worseā€¦ thereā€™s a small version of the steamer available? Now I need the link :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Lol, haha, no not that impressive. In typical Chinese style, we will use our wok as a steamer as well, as long as you the have the right dish/tray that fits inside. I ended up getting something similar to this below, so she lays this on top of a rack in her wok with the simmering/boiling water underneath and she steams her rice rolls this way. Actually works very well, when you donā€™t need industrial-sized portions of rice rolls made at once! :joy:

(sorry for the giant picture - pulled off Amazon)

4 Likes

And from Dim Sum central

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t seem difficult. Are you trying to make it this way? Will like to see how it goes.

1 Like

I plan to finally open the "Korean Rice Paper " today, and try something like the dim sum central idea.

I included the first link because it described similarities to Vietnamese bĆ”nh cuį»‘n. I also wanted to save the char siu filling and sauce ideas, although it includes a lot more stuff than the other recipes Iā€™ve seenā€¦

2 Likes

I feel better now: thatā€™s what I used - eighth pans in a giant square skillet and wok!