What's your Home kitchen knife batterie?

A chair is the defining, stand out element of your kitchen? Why?

1 Like

See above, Meekah, or my Joy thread.

You know, itā€™s only the humidity that keeps me from going outside the house and banging my head against my brick walls.

I canā€™t believe this never came to mind. Not thinking outside the box, I guess. Or rather, not thinking ā€œoutside the meat-ballā€.

2 Likes

Mine is called a Accurit. I just tried putting a refrigerator magnet behind it an a small, not sharp knife in front and the knife didnā€™t hang around. I must need better magnets.

Thatā€™s ok, Ray. Iā€™ll stick with extrapolating Nielsen and general usability parameters.

My sister uses several of those ā€œAccuritā€ brand rulers in her artwork.

I used 6 neodymium disk magnets (about the size of a penny but a bit thicker) sandwiching the window paneā€™s glass. Then placed the ruler on the front pane. Held too well, really - it was hard to pull the knives off and I found I had to twist/rotate toward the spine side to get them to loosen.

Iā€™ve also got some weaker (thinner) neodyms that I was going to test but never got around to it. I buy online from K&J Magnetics; the thicker guys tested for the knife holder are about 50 cents and I think the weaker are more like 35 cents each. I have to buy 20 or so every few years because Iā€™m not careful enough to keep them from smashing together and they fracture easily. But theyā€™re good for holding stuff to the fridge and for copying ā€œexperimentsā€ the kids and I would find on youtube.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

In my last job I administered, among other things, the stateā€™s affordable housing programs. Units needed to be made fully accessible if a tenant requested. It is a pretty quick and easy conversion if the floor plan provided for adequate turn radii.

2 Likes

And accessibility standards, in physical spaces and in technology, arenā€™t based on subjective observations ( Iā€™ve taught this stuff to the folks who are tasked with compliance). Itā€™s a competitive advantage if you do it from the beginning!

2 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I live in a small house, not an apartment, and have planned and carried out this kitchen project as an experiment from the beginning. This is already a remodel from the first design, with more built-ins and electrical circuits.

The kitchen is a galley kitchen that could be replicated and/or reinstalled somewhere else. Itā€™s such a great joy to use that I sometimes do sit there and meditateā€“looking at the rose bushes.

I think these comments are quite far removed from my initial ā€œhow many kitchen knives?ā€ question.

2 Likes

Which you participated in, so why are you complaining?

3 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

The determining qualifier for handicapped of all ages is the Instrumental Activity of daily living:

If one reaches the state where IADL performance is difficult, it usually precludes the type of kitchen Iā€™ve developedā€“which is one reason why I canā€™t get a funded study. Weā€™d probably find that my octopus kitchen wonā€™t help enough.

FYI the term ā€œhandicappedā€ is disfavored, indicating begging with cap in hand. Preferred ā€œperson firstā€ terminology would be a person with a disability.

4 Likes

Accessibility is extensively governed by federal regulation.

1 Like

Hi Vecchiouomo,

Iā€™ve worked onā€“even wroteā€“funded NIA projects. I also reviewed the development of the IADL measure. I think that my Octopus kitchen could work in private, well funded, senior home/condo kitchens, but itā€™s never been something I wanted to do.

Did you read what Tim wrote? Here, Iā€™ll help you:

The conversation was about Accessibility, which is far broader in scope than IADL or NIA. The ADA applies to anyone, regardless of age. Tim has actual administrative experience , which isnā€™t ā€œprojectsā€ or ā€œreviewā€.

3 Likes

And there is little room for tinkering without violating the ADA. Lord knows, it was exhausting bird dogging developers trying to offer alternatives. An ADA compliant unit in an ADA compliant development ought to be the norm. The regs allow for aspects to be readily convertible. This ought to apply to SFDs, too. Why should a person buying or renting a home have to lower light switches, add visual smoke alarms, or have to get assistance to get from a parking space to your front door? Oooo, a bandwagon for me to jump on!

1 Like

Jump! My condo is 30 years old, but conversion would not be too difficult. Iā€™ve noticed that newer condos have a lot more accessibility in place from the get go. My kitchen has ample turn around room, and while not an open kitchen (thank God, but thatā€™s another story) is completely barrier free to enter - with direct access from the foyer. Itā€™s always cheaper to do it right from the beginning than to clean up your mistakes afterwards. That way, everyone wins. I stayed in a brand new Marriott the year before the pandemic, and I at first thought Iā€™d been given a disability room. I even took pictures to show people. But no! The rooms were all accessible! Iā€™m sure their new extended stay facilities had accessible kitchens, too. The regs are there, waiting to be put into concrete (pardon the pun) action.

1 Like

That helps explain your space constraints. I have the luxury of lots of space, and the times where Iā€™ve been constrained to a small galley style kitchen (like on vacation) Iā€™ve made do, but not liked it. But if you started out with that space constraint and made the best of it and made it work well for your cooking, then more power to you.

But in the photo youā€™ve posted, on the far right it looks like youā€™ve got a small electric oven (below the counter) plugged into a regular extension cord. Iā€™m worried the oven draws more than can be long-term supported by that extension cord and may be a fire hazard, especially if that circuit breaker is relatively high amp (then the breaker wonā€™t break at amperage rates that are capable of burning that extension cord).

Note that Home Depot or Lowes etc. sell cords for window AC units that are rated at a lot higher amps. Iā€™m thinking you should use one of those higher amp extension cords instead. Just thinking out loud.

3 Likes

Rayā€™s been told about that extension cord!!

2 Likes