What's your favorite homemade dip recipe?

Me too!

I Googled it and suspect for todayā€™s tastes (or at least my taste), Iā€™d want to up the amount of some or most of the add-ins. Looks good though!
8 oz cream cheese
4 T sour cream
4 T butter (room temp)
2 t capers
2 t minced anchovy
2 shallots or scallions, minced
1 T paprika
1 t caraway seed
salt to taste

Haha, Iā€™m no recipe purist, so you sure could alter this however you want to! but having made this for years for multiple Kentucky Derby parties, I have to say Iā€™ve never done that. I find the original recipe balanced and subtle. Just make sure your caraway seed isnā€™t old and has lost its flavor! Thatā€™s kind of the key ingredient.

2 Likes

What do you like to serve it with?

TIA

for my Derby parties I would usually just make a couple batches of simple homemade crackers, nothing fancy. Theyā€™re not all that hard to makeā€“the recipe I use I printed out from the internet ages agoā€“itā€™s pretty much just flour, salt, olive oil and cold water. Sometimes Iā€™ll add in some black pepper or dried herbs. (King Arthur flour has some good basic recipesā€¦)

If you donā€™t feel like making crackers, Iā€™d probably just stick to something plain-ish. The dip is super rich and has good flavor, so you pretty much just want a crispy and not overpowering delivery medium!

1 Like

You might need Lipitor after eating too much!

1 Like

absolutely

This Jalapeno Popper Dip from Closet Cooking gets devoured pretty quickly. I recently made it so that my husband could bring it to a function and the hosts blocked the door to prevent him from leaving so that they could snag the remains and get a promise of the recipe. Itā€™s super simple, so simple that I almost feel guilty. I add about 1/4 cup more jalapenos and cheddar and serve with sturdy kettle potato chips.

3 Likes

Baba Ganoush/ Moutabal
Donā€™t really know the difference, or care,.
There are many recipes online but here are my basics:

Cut in half,lengthwise, eggplant(s) and char/roast on a grill (I do this on an outdoor propane gas grill, cool slightly
Scoop out the warm flesh and add to the bowl of a food processor
Add: Garlic cloves, thahini (or creamy peanut butter) fresh lemon juice, cilantro and pulse.
Drizzle in x-virgin olive oil to desired consistency. I sometimes add a few drops of toasted sesame oil to intensify flavor.
Serve with crispy flatbread chips, either pita, bagel or lavash

This is best if donā€™t make ahead and serve while still warm.

2 Likes

Wow, great receipt! What caviar can be used for it? Red? Black? If I use this one, will it be OK? Or anything special maybe?

Returning here to add:

Tuna mousse whipped in the fp is a delicious dip.
Beet hummus, my new fav
Crab dip

2 Likes

My brother enjoys that Lipton veg dip and the hollowed out bread round popular at parties.

The blog Closet Cooking has enough dip ideas to last three lifetimes. I have used quite a few ideas for celebrations. I believe the blog was recommended on HO.

Nice to have you back, @Rooster!

All three of those sound great - would you please share recipes? Thanks!

Thanks! Happy to share.

I whirl the tuna first, then add the rest of the ingredients in the fp. Whirl in an ice cube at the very end to get that airy mousse result. serve chilled with warmed bread or celery.

I sub cleaned crab pieces for the shrimp and follow as written. Right before serving with a variety of toasted breads I hit the top with fresh lemon juice and zest. Even better made a day ahead.

Now I have whipped up a few disappointing versions and finally arrived happy with this recipe. Fresh raw beets roasted and a bit of beet powder if you can get your hands on it really ups the beet flavor (rather than a boring RED hummus). Donā€™t use canned or jarred beets, too watery. whiz in the fp and whirl with each ingredient. That ice cube tip is key here too. Spread on avocado toast or my fav, served with scrambled eggs. Makes a nice sandwich spread too.

3 Likes

Thanks! Great tip on the ice cube - Iā€™ve never tried that.

ETA: LPQ used to serve a beet spread over toast, topped with whole canned sardines. Sounded completely weird, but was really delicious.

the Zahav hummus recipe recommends the ice cube. Really adds a lovely whip.

Toum garlic paste also uses the ice cube tip. Ever make toum? Dip, spread, marinadeā€¦ the stuff is addictive.

I have made (and bought - TJ has it) toum - yum!

Iā€™m actually not a big hummus fan, so Iā€™ve read the Zahav recipe but never actually used it

Sounds rich. I have a love/hate relationship with sardines.
Long storyā€¦:wink:

I wasnā€™t either and then I had a really great version and chgā€™d my mind.
Toum on chicken over a fire pit makes me happy.

1 Like

Sub tuna? (Iā€™m sure the sardine story is a good one :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)