What's your favorite homemade dip recipe?

What’s your favorite homemade dip recipe? It doesn’t have to be fancy.

2 Likes

Muhammara:-

Roast a couple of red pepper, then skin. Process along with 25g breadcrumbs, some lenon juice, clove of garlic, couple of heaped teaspoons of pul biber, teaspoon of ground cumin and a tablespoon of pomegranate molasses. Stir through some finely chopped walnuts (you want a little texture) adn a drizzle of olive oil.

And yours?

5 Likes

Mix Lipton’s onion soup mix with slightly less sour cream than the package calls for, and eat with ruffles! There are fancy dips that are as good, but there are none that are better.

11 Likes

Mmmm, depends on what I’m dipping in it! For tortilla chips, guacamole or tomatillo salsa, hands down. For crudite, something creamy and rich - I make a caramelized onion and Stilton dip that is quite fabulous, or I love a sour cream/mayo blend with lots of dill.

2 Likes

#1 is cocktail sauce. Sure, I use it for shrimp cocktail but also on raw veggies, topped on hard boiled eggs, avocados, any kind of fried food, in cocktails, broiled pork loin.

and, thousand island on meat sandwiches.

1 Like

For shrimp and crab
mayo ,ketchup, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sherry,lemon, dill / cocktail sauce for him
for smoked fish crostini, switch out the ketchup with stone ground Dijon and lose the sherry
chips a home made onion or ranch dip in a pinch hidden valley ranch dry seasoning or
some type of dry onion mix
for cruditie, mayo, sour cream, red onion, white onion small dice, scallion, chives lots of finely chopped herbs, mayo, sour cream, crème fraiche can all be used interchangeably with the exception of the shrimp crab dip, that must be mayo
hummus (Hannah organic) from Costco, better than anything I make

2 Likes

I had this dip at a friend’s party, and was surprised at how good it was! Probably the only time I’d use canned asparagus, but I don’t see why you couldn’t use fresh-cooked:

Asparagus Dip
1 can asparagus
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup parmesan cheese
garlic powder or Spike seasoning, to taste

Whirl all in a food processor.

4 Likes

It the above dip was served warm I’d probably really like it
Warm dip is like a complete meal for me … pass the crostini,
chips, crudities and move away !!!

Doesn’t say “Favorite Dip”; it says “Favorite Dip RECIPE”.

Dish! :wink:

3 Likes

My version of cocktail sauce goes like this. Half cup ketchup, 2 T prepared jarred horseradish, juice from one lemon, 2 dashes Tabasco, salt to taste. We like it hot.

Thousand Island is equal parts ketchup and mayo with a few spoonsful of chopped relish made a few hours before using to meld flavors.

Sorry I didnt add recipes earlier.

3 Likes

Re: TI
If you feeling adventurous try a tiny bit of worcestershire and red wine or white vinegar in there and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, celery salt

Sounds tasty! I wouldnt have considered vinegar, and we love wine and vinegar based dressings!

1 Like

a little goes a long way

LOL, sorry for the omission! This particular dip I generally eyeball, but here’s an approximate guide for a party-sized amount:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 cup caramelized onions or shallots , deglazed with 2 T. dry sherry (usually I use a mix of shallots and onions - about 2 large yellow onions and 5-6 large shallots will yield a cup of caramelized)
4 cloves garlic (caramelized with the onions or sauteed separately)
1 t. sherry vinegar (maybe more or less depending on how sweet the onions are)
1/4 c. chopped parsley, chives or a combo
1/2-3/4c. crumbled Stilton
salt and pepper to taste

Stir everything together and season to taste. If I happen to have cream cheese hanging around that needs to be used, I will soften it and mix it with the sour cream and mayo before adding the rest of the ingredients - makes it a little stiffer. The sherry is key - somehow it just makes the Stilton sing!

7 Likes

Put one 8 oz. package of large curd cottage cheese in a bowl. Serve with Fritos corn chips. :stuck_out_tongue:

Another, for serving with crackers is a can of sardines and a block of cream cheese whipped together in a blender or mini-food processor.

Finally, caviar and sour cream. The cheap stuff, of course, but it’s great for dipping plain Lay’s potato chips.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is my favorite but I like it a lot as do my guests and it is definitely the easiest to prepare:
Put a can of drained & washed cannellini beans (white kidney) in a small food processor. Add pesto ( homemade or store bought) to taste and blend. Season to taste.

I love probably love baba ganoush the best. Charred, smokey roasted eggplant, olive oil, garlic, lemon, tahini (or peanut butter) cilantro.

3 Likes

Jalapeno dip–cream cheese, sour cream, sun dried tomatoes, black olives, jalapenos. Serve with sweet potato chips.

Bean dip–cook corona or gigantes beans until very tender. Drain, cool, remove skins. Whirl in the FP with garlic cloves and olive oil. Thin with water if necessary. Serve with toasted pita chips. (also good smeared on a toasted pita, topped with red onion, fresh spinach and cheese–run under the broiler to melt the cheese.)

1 Like

I’m one of those people who are skeeved out by cottage cheese… not even Fritos could get me to try that. I’m generally not a picky eater at all, but the texture…

I love eating chips and cottage cheese. I also blend cottage cheese with green onions.

1 Like

Me too but friendship 1 percent whipped cottage cheese is delicious … I’m addicted
nothing at all like regular cottage cheese

2 Likes