What's your favorite homemade dip recipe?

Ever try farmers cheese instead?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been eating it since I was a kid ā€¦ I love farmers cheese and Iā€™m pretty sentimental
when it comes to it ā€¦ it reminds me of my grandmother who introduced me to it
Iā€™ve been seeing a lot more of it over the last few years

Letā€™s hear it for baba ganoush. I add smoked paprika on top right before serving for more smokiness and umami.

2 Likes

My inlaws turned me onto farmerā€™s cheese many years ago. The cheese was used in baked goods, served with fresh fruit and spread on toast in the morning. My wife recently found a reliable source at a market and I anticipate we will be buying farmers cheese more often.

While I never had a taste for cottage cheese, farmers cheese holds some wonderful memories for me as well and itā€™s very tasty.

1 Like

There is a vendor that sells a really good one at one of our local farmers markets

The Zahav recipe for hummus- total game changer for homemade hummus and makes it a worthy centerpiece to the meal and not just a dip.
I like it best with crudite

This avocado sauce is one of my favorites, makes a great dip
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/

I adore pico de gallo but iā€™m also a wimp and have to leave out the jalapenos, not really a dip but whatever i scoop it up with veggies or chips gladly.

I had a wonderful olive and artichoke dip that i suspect was canned artichokes blended with white beans and olive oil and the olives that i keep meaning to try and duplicate

3 Likes

Liptonā€™s onion soup mix

The all time and forever champion of dips.

3 Likes

As denizens of my local board have heard time and again, my mother loathes onions and every other allium. Even a light sprinkling of chives will render a soup or baked potato utterly inedible.

But give her a bowl of Liptons Onion Soup mixed with sour cream accompanied by a bowl of cauliflower florets and Stand Back!

Itā€™s weird.

5 Likes

thanks for expressing your opinion of not wanting me to leave
I love lipton onion soup mix in hamburger, esp venison burger.
As for onions, I cannot eat them raw ugh, not even cooked unless they are caramelized!
I always have on hand fried scallions in case I am out of onions or scallions as substitute
how do you cook your curry with coconut milk ?
I suppose Doo B Wah is Asian lineage?
Looked you up on LET US TRY TO GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER but cannot find your name there.
my ccj ( middle initial stands for chan ) , ancestors from XiaMen.
I posted a recipe recently that is the fookien ( foochien version) of oyster omelet using fresh oysters, optional tiny shrimp sauteed in peanut or olive oil, chinese chives, garlic, bean sprouts, an egg and fine sweet potato starch with the oyster juice to a pancake consistency and pan fried, served with ketchup and tabasco.
That was a favorite but cannot find it in the US except one restaurant whose chef knows me, though not in the menu
have u ever had that before?

Iā€™m looking for ideas for a dip to serve with cold steamed artichokes (as opposed to an artichoke dip). Iā€™ve got sour cream, mayo, some fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, thyme), lemon, garlic, anchovies - the usual stuff. I found this lemon garlic aioli recipe, and I could do a vinaigrette, but Iā€™m looking for something a little more unusual. Any suggestions?

you can make an anchovy mayo with what you have on hand
but I would recommend making a homemade mayo / aioli
itā€™s so so much better

1 Like

Thanks, that is definitely a contender.

1 Like

Nah, just an old white guy.

Letā€™s eat!

To keep this on topic:

Guacamole.

Mash as many avocados as you have. Add salt.

Dip.

(Chips, crudite, finger, whatever.)

1 Like

Roasted garlic, room temp cream cheese (or goat cheese), lemon juice. I never tell my family how simple it is, my secret.

1 Like

A saffron aioli would be nice and not overwhelm the artichoke.

2 Likes

I will give that a go with future artichoke. Because I actually have saffron in the house, which is unusual. I went with @chowdomā€™s anchovy aioli idea. Needs more anchovy. Iā€™ll know for next time.

1 Like

The saffron aioli is also great with asparagus- i just use the little rather cheap saffron from tader joeā€™s which iā€™m certain isnā€™t top of the line but in a sauce it works great. Just be sure to use a neutral oil or else all you taste is the olive oil and not the saffron

2 Likes

The liptauer cheese recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook. Paprika, cream cheese, butter, sour cream, capers, anchovies, shallots, scallion, caraway. Delicious.

5 Likes

I had to re-read what you posted above because after reading the ingredient list I thought you might have written ā€œLipitorā€ cheese recipe. I am so making this, it sounds amazing right up my alley!

2 Likes