What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

I have no antiques. The oldest item in my kitchen is probably a Hamilton Beach spring loaded ice cream scoop.

Another item might be the Rebacraft flatware, which is the first I have ever owned (and the best). Unfortunately I have lost a few pieces due to an inconsiderate room mate back in the 80’s, who took various pieces to work, and left them there.

8 Likes

Me.

10 Likes

I have my grandma’s demitasse spoons that she and grandpa got as a wedding gift in 1948.
Next oldest would be a Le Creuset oval dutch oven from the mid-late 80s that was given to me by my MIL (it sat in her cabinet for years, barely used because it was so heavy)

2 Likes

I have a Hamilton Beach “Mixette” ie hand mixer that I was given in the 1980s when I got my first apartment. It has to be from the late 1950s or early 1960s. Still works like a charm. Only hand mixer I’ve ever owned.

1 Like

I now have the full setting for 12 (plus serving dishes, etc.) of the bone china that my parents bought on their honeymoon in St. Thomas in 1967. According to my mother, it was half the price of a similar set in NY at the time.

3 Likes

That’s what I wanted to say.

1 Like

Pictures please? Would love to see it!

1 Like

I have an old aluminum egg cutter that was manufactured in Columbus, Ohio (where I was born). I bought it at a second-hand store one year when I was home visiting my mother. It only cuts eggs into wedges. I love that device…I’m sure it’s as old as I am.

1 Like

Most likely the Bromwell’s 3 cup measuring sifter . I think it’s 1930 vintage. Still in use .

's

8 Likes

That is so cool, and I remember seeing similar ones in my granny’s and/or auntie’s kitchens.

1 Like

Yep from grandma. It works extremely well.

2 Likes

Oldest by far is me.

But oldest pan is an aluminum 11" crepe style pan with a missing handle that used to make great Swedish pancakes before induction made it obsolete. .

Now, I use my Staub 11" crepe pan.

Ray

3 Likes

I have some very old China and silverware, but I predate most of my cookware, knives, and tools. I bought most of it in the late sixties and early seventies.

1 Like

I am the oldest thing in the kitchen, closely followed by Mrs H.

A year younger than her is the cookbook that was my mothers. It was published in 1954 - the “Good Housekeeping Cookery Compendium”.

4 Likes

Hahahahaha

Some updates-

I have an 10 inch cast iron skillet from the Columbus Hollow Ware Company. It’s got “The Favorite” stamped in the bottom. It was made in the federal prison in Columbus Ohio. It’s from the late 1800s-early 1900s

I have a pre griswold erie skillet #10, late 1800s early 1900s. It’s used most often for breakfast on weekends.

I have a 6 inch L F D & H (Duparquet) copper saute from 1850-1870. This is a new purchase. I mean to get it retinned. I haven’t used it yet, but I’m eager to.

Next to a 16cm Falk sauce pan

8 Likes

Everything looks like this, but I didn’t have to take everything down to get the picture. :wink:

4 Likes

Nice! Thank you Stephanie! It’s true to the era I think, with a non traditional sort of design, both on the pieces themselves, as well as the shape of the handles. I love legacy pieces or collections of things. I always think of my grandma when I use the few things passed down to me! :heart:

1 Like

A company I knew nothing about. Thanks.
Very interesting.

1 Like

That is a lovely back story. Thanks for sharing.
Getting the full china set shipped back to New York must have been a costly production and it seems to have reached without breakage which is also great.

2 Likes