What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

my g-grandmother brought this pitcher from Transylvania to USA in 1902.
she married in Nov 1891, one presumes this was a household treasure.
my grandmother used it to keep her buckwheat starter…
I have it, but only use it when cousins (we participated in buckwheat pancake eating contests at Granny’s . . . . ) come to visit

11 Likes

I’ve no idea how they did it. And all of that china was shipped from my parents’ home in NJ to me in CA with no breakage either.

1 Like

Yeah it’s got a bit of dark energy to it :sweat_smile:. I don’t imagine those federal inmates were compensated too well.

It’s a gorgeous and well made pan.

Piqua Ware made a pan in mid 20th century also called the favorite. Guy I bought it from thought it was the much less valuable Piqua-Ware pan. I didn’t correct him. I paid about 60 bucks.

1 Like

I have the exact same sifter. Still in use.

2 Likes

They still make sifters that look just like that. I got one in the 1990s, new.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I am the oldest thing in my kitchen, not counting my grandmother’s and great-grandmother’s dishes. I have 2 Le Creuset Dutch ovens my mother gave to me in 1972, and a cast iron chicken fryer my grandmother proudly sent to me from a cousin’s hardware store the same year, but they’re stored away and I can’t photograph them. I do have old knives, a dreizack rostfrei Solingen chef’s knife from 1969 that I bought in college (I did not do the damage on the edge- that’s from when I took it to a local kitchenwares store to have it sent out to be “sharpened”) and 3 carbon steel knives from a few years later; 2 of them are Sabatier- I can find no marking on the other one. I have my mother’s silver and china, and a set of Iron Mountain Whispering Pines but I don’t think of that as kitchenware!

OK, I’m having trouble adding images. I’ll come back and edit this.

6 Likes

I’ve got two oldies I still use–as backups now–but only about 30-35 years: My Sir Lawrence American butcher knife–and my Kai Seki Magoroku nakiri.

My toolkit for kitchen knives has radically changed over the last seven years . . .

Ray

My three pictured above are special because they represent 3 generations.
My mom -meat tenderizer, my grandmother -soft cooked egg slicer, me -strawberry hullers.

4 Likes

The oldest things would be the sugar bowl and creamer from my grandmother 's dairy set–probably dating back to the Teens or Twenties. But I don’t use them. I think the oldest items in use are my fifty-year-old Farberware pots and pans, and my fifty-year-old flatware set.

2 Likes

My Veg O Matic died. The plastic just broke

1 Like

Oldie but goodie.

3 Likes

Classic

1 Like

An antique chicken fryer. Purchased at an antique mall some years ago. No markings, so I have no idea of age. Surely it is older than I, however, which (in my book) makes it ancient.

10 Likes

I wanted to say “me” but I figured lots of folks already said it! Other than that, I got nuthin’.

Okay, I have the bowl from this 80’s Oster Kitchen Center, and I use it a lot! I think I bought it when I was in college, but have since graduated to a Kitchenaid, and don’t know what happened to the rest. I like the glass bowl.

And several pieces of “china” from mother in law. I know nothing about the history of these pieces, other than everyone in the family was born in Jamaica, but we use these pieces a LOT and still have wedding stuff we haven’t unwrapped. I think the wedding stuff is at least 32 years old.

Oh, and I swiped this cookbook from my mom.

9 Likes

I think the oldest thing in my kitchen is a Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School book from the 20’s or 30’s gifted to me by my husband’s high school mate’s mother. It has scribbles all over it and recipes cut out of newspapers in between the pages. She’s still alive, in her early 90’s. It’s such a treasure.

9 Likes

Wedding presents you still haven’t unwrapped ??

Not exactly. Like this;

The tea cups and the plates behind them still have their plastic on them, and most of the silverware in the wooden box underneath is still wrapped in plastic too.

3 Likes

For me the oldest in regular use is likely a Wagner CI skillet, of the mark that dates it from 1935 to 1959. I also have a French 3mm copper saucepan that may be from that time frame (or slightly later). I also have a vintage imagawayaki/obanyaki CI pan that I’ve used, that I think predates the 60s.

1 Like

Hi Mikey Mouse

5 Likes