What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

My wife let me know that the set of her grandmother’s china which she inherited is from 1947, so that beats my electric knife.

3 Likes

This is probably from the 1920s:

Maybe a little older & I do use it.

12 Likes

Gorgeous. What do you typically grind?

Recently did a ground beef that was 1/3 ribeye, 1/3 chuck eye, and 1/3 brisket. Made great burgers.

2 Likes

Obnoxious neighbors mostly…

I usually grind whatever I have handy so it always varies.

2 Likes

You mean even the cable was from the 20s? It really looks like it can grind bones.

1 Like

No - it was a mess when I got it so I refurbished it. Including new wiring.

2 Likes

Weird measuring thingie and a no. 2 Spong coffee grinder.

7 Likes

Wow, very old looking; what is the 1st item?

I’m not sure :thinking:
The cloverleaf handle turns the blade
Inside, but it has no markings, neither measure nor maker.

Interesting; wonder if you could do an image search on Google…

It’s an ice cream scoop. The thing at the top turns the inside blades to
Release the ice cream. Makes very pretty sundae shapes. I hav3 the exact same one

13 Likes

Thanks!
Makes perfect sense.

1 Like

Never would have guessed it @Elsieb. Very cool though. Do you use yours?

1 Like

Did peach Melba recently:)

11 Likes

Remember seeing that photo recently, but think I was too distracted looking at the beautiful colors to notice the shape of the ice cream.

2 Likes

I kept holding it with the tip of the cone on the bottom.
Turned 180 degrees makes perfect sense.
:slight_smile:

I have a chef’s knife that my parents brought from Germany in the 40s (needs work); next oldest is a 1949 Toastmaster 1B14 toaster that I bought from an appliance repair place some years back. It’s just like the one our family had when I was a child. It’s a long story, but I managed to drop it on my foot and nearly broke it (the foot). The toaster was intact – it’s completely original and works far better than any modern toaster we’ve tried.

4 Likes

Another old tool from Great Aunt Emma’s era. Don’t think it’s been used in 100 years!

5 Likes

So, I thought I’d bump this thread, to go with the current “Old Keepers” one. Not exactly the same question, buy what’s the oldest thing you use?

I bet there’s something from the Eisenhower Administration in the refrigerator’s fruit or vegetable drawers. However I might need a mass spectrometer gas chromatograph to identify it.

4 Likes