What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

We were regular visitors for some 15 years, usually both May and September shows. Nice venue, wonderful people.

1 Like

How do you tell the year of the stove? I have a Wedgewood at home also.

The oldest kitchen items I have are 3 brassware cooking pots - family heirloom passed down to me by my grandmother, who got them from her grandmother. In 1785 when the Siamese king sent his army, including war elephants, to subjugate the ancient kingdom of Patani, my maternal great-great-great-great-grandparents’ family (Chaozhou-Chinese traders who’d settled in Patani) made a long overland trek from besieged Patani into the sultanate of Kelantan (part of present-day Malaysia), carrying with them all their worldly belongings, including these brass pots.

I still use the pots to cook stews or curries today.

27 Likes

I loooove things that come with their own stories!

What an absolute treasure.

5 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

I think you win for oldest AND for best background story, Peter! :heart:

8 Likes

Thanks, Linda.
I’m waiting to hear more stories from other HOers - someone has to have something older. :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve had to check things due to weight since they might be a security risk - I could hit someone in the head with it. Funniest was a boat propeller.

1 Like

I don’t have anything cool in my kitchen that is old, since my mom did traditional Chinese cooking and used the common Chinese kitchen implements. She took with her when she downsized. The only other thing I inherited are Corelle plates from the 70s that my mom had and that I still use - their hideousness is half-amusing and half-nostalgic for me.

But then I remembered my parents brought with them, when they came to the US, special engraved ivory chopsticks (I know – bad parents!!!) for me and my sisters. Each one was engraved with our Chinese names. Since I was to-be-borne at the time, I had a smaller pair that I used for many years as a kid. Even better is that one of my older sisters wondered what would happen if they stuck one of the chopsticks in the pencil sharpener, and so the end of one chopstick is skinnier than the other. I’ll have to dig these up for a photo.

12 Likes

I have no idea. When I bought my house I had some hippy dude come and clean it up and get it fully working and he told me it was about 1944. When I looked online last night I found a picture of my exact stove being sold by a restoration company and they list it as 1950, so maybe he was off. Mine has an oven, broiler and griddle, 40" wide.

4 Likes

Sck,

The gent who cleaned it and did the mechanical labors, said, " it was about 1944" … So, 1950, is only six years …

Check with the restoration company and ask if the back of the stove has a model number which can be a good way to trace the year it was manufactured.

2 Likes

Probably me .

2 Likes

Even if it’s a 1950 model that’s almost 70 years old and I’ve never had to repair it except for a tune-up, which I can’t say for my other appliances that are under 20.

17 Likes

It would be one of these 2 items; the aluminum roasting pan may be from the 20’s or 30’s and the glassware is from the 30’s or 40’s. I inherited the pan from my g-ma when she passed and my mom got an identical one. When she passed, her pan went to my brother.

5 Likes

Probably the oldest thing in my kitchen, besides me, is an original Veg-O- Matic slicer dicer from the early ‘60s. Gave it to my Mom for Mother’s Day. She gave it back to me years later. It does a great job of cutting potatoes for fries

6 Likes

I use this fairly often to cut produce, butter, cheese. In my care since late 70’s, grandad before that.

11 Likes

Does it make a scalloped pattern when you use it @Rooster? I have a much smaller and newer one - I almost always use it for Thai curries.

1 Like

Yes it does. Depending on the angle you use to cut, you can produce 4 diff cuts.

1 Like

Those are gorgeous, @klyeoh !

It’s interesting, there’s so much brass in India but never to cook in - then it’s lined (“kalai”).

My mom has some really old kitchen items from several prior generations - she has a few utensils displayed now, that she said I could take, but I’ve held off for now. There’s a ton more interesting things in storage…

2 Likes

That’s really cool @Rooster. I will have to experiment a little more with the one I have. Thanks!

2 Likes