What's for Lunch 2019

Lot of flavors going on here. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes. I live in a small country (Canada is about 200 times bigger) which is one of the world’s top agricultural producing countries. Second only to the US to be precise.

Also in this one of the world’s richest countries (we pay taxes through the nose for others as well) we have 10% of the population living in “poverty”. Note that “poverty” in rich western countries is different. They have cars, a roof over their heads, cigarettes, food, new smart phones every couple of months, TV channels, beer, children, go on holidays etc. Meanwhile we have no car, no children, nothing but our own house and work for the taxman. Petro price per litre is on par with Norway, where it is the most expensive. But food product costs are generally lower than other western countries being the producer and and shorter transport distance.

1 Like

Made some Polish style cabbage rolls last night using this recipe:

https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/cabbage-rolls/

(And yes, that is former Jerry Springer-esque daytime talk show host Jenny Jones).

Fried some up today for lunch along with some onions.

9 Likes

Pic 4 is a thing of beauty!

1 Like

Is that the pork cooked in sour oranges and garlic - and if so do you have a good recipe?

Yes, it’s a mojo pork marinated in orange juice (not sour orange though) and lime juice and garlic among other things, from the same batch as here: What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019 which has a link to the recipe as well. It came out pretty well but I think next time I will try brining it as well as it could have been even juicier.

Here’s a version of the recipe with the brining step:

2 Likes

Thanks looks great! I’m going to have to give it a go.

1 Like

I love cabbage rolls but have never even tried making them. Did you eat them with any sauce? Hungarian version is also nice, especially the sauce.

I just ate them with some Dijon mustard but the recipe suggests sour cream as an accompaniment.

1 Like

My father returned from having a stroke and being in hospital for 8 months. I’ve seen tried to make lunches which are healthy but varied. Sometimes more saucier, sometimes crunchy. I try to venture into new cuisines to fit each day of the week. I tried using aquafaba - cool as it sounds for the first time last weekend - to make these lovely courgette fritters. When he’s happy with them, I’m triple happy! Please follow me on insta for more of my lunch ideas. I’ve been cooking for years but sharing has been a new thing.

5 Likes

My wife will be happy to read and learn about another unique use for aquafaba.

Welcome.

2 Likes

Jammy egg in a cheesy bread hole.

4 Likes

Here in Spain they put slices of jamon on top.

Can’t wait to make my own veg-loaded lunches at home. In 6 days time.

1 Like

Kimchi jjigae with canned tuna.

6 Likes

Potato dumplings.

With Sauerkraut and crispy fried Speck.

8 Likes

Saw this Apple salad in the la times yesterday and had all ingredients. It was delicious. Beautiful Macouns from the farmers market and still have cilantro in the garden. Finely sliced apples, bit of lime juice, bit of vinegar to keep apples from browning, cilantro, chopped peanuts (mixed w a tiny bit of sesame oil), and Parmesan on top.

12 Likes

Looks delicious

Brisket44 is that from the Molinari deli? I love that old deli in North beach. Like to get my pizza meats and cheeses there.

3 Likes

You got it. They’re still making great sandwiches after all these years. Their cold cuts are such high quality and sliced to order for the very large sandwiches on good bread. At $11 the Molinari Special is really a bargain. My office is in North Beach so I try to limit myself to one every two weeks. Everything is reasonably priced for the quality - cold cuts, cheeses, sausages, etc.

1 Like

My son lived at the top of Union St so we would stop by Molinari for sauce and topping and stop by Tony’s for dough. And your right their prices for the city are pretty fair. It that your favorite Sammy? I want to try one of their sandwiches built on the muffalata bun?
Don’t know if I spelled that right.

1 Like