What's for Lunch 2017

I make Gallo Pinto much the same way: key is liberal use of Salsa Lizano (pretty much the only special condiment I regularly use).

Pan fried Mac n cheese with homemade marinara and a couple Nathan’s wieners

I like to fry it until it’s a little crusty.

This is also good with Siracha.

Those figs!!! I splurged on some last week and the pint basket was gone within 24hrs. I nearly bought a basket yesterday but the price had gone up by $2, so at $7 for the basket i passed on them and went with organic concord grapes that were on special. I love the figs with a bit of salted almond butter (no cheese or ham for me) or a dribble of thick basalmic vinegar and pepper

1 Like

I went to visit my dear friend to lend moral support - she has been suffering through “false labor” for several days and is miserable. (Due date was a few days ago) And she has her mother, father, mother in law and husband all staying at the apartment.
I volunteered to make whatever sounded good to her for some lunch, everyone else had left the apartment for a bit except for her also exhausted husband who was upstairs napping.
She wanted "a savory fruit salad with some protein ". I stopped by the market and ended up making a big bowl with thin sliced cantaloupe, chunks of fresh pineapple (which is rumored to help induce labor), concord grapes, chopped leftover grilled fennel i found in her fridge, scallions, some baby arugala, hemp seeds, and some chopped salt and pepper pecans i found in the cupboard. I made a lemony pepper vinegrette just sprinkled over everything. Her bowl got a few blobs of goat cheese too.
She was thrilled and declared it exactly what she wanted :smile: surprisingly she has a good appetite still which i take as a good sign. Her husband came down and had a bowl as well, my friend claimed the half portion or so leftover as hers and nobody should touch it! Hahaha.

Hoping tomorrow i am meeting them at the hospital, if not i’ll visit again.

4 Likes

Mmm that sounds good

1 Like

Hope the real labor will be all smooth. Good that they enjoyed the food.

Today neighbours were doing a garage sale, I brought along a few things and earned 2,50 euro this morning! Had a break now and lunch was cod covered with bread crumbs, parmesan, spice and cumin mix and some last home grown tomatoes.

2 Likes

Leftover Pozole and Carnitas tacos

was at Oceano Blvd to Seafood Strip for Seafood ( shrimp, fresh tuna, smoked rainbow trout , dry scallops) Saturday. Go there every few months for seafood.

Bought this Pastrami style Bruce Point Salmon by Duck Trap, a favorite of mine
My son does not like this, so, only me and my 2 poms will be eating it.
I have mine with croissant, cream cheese while the poms eat the part without the pepper as treats when I am eating.
Guess it will be this for lunch for a while until consumed, and perhaps with scrambled eggs for breakfast.
It is great. Tried to persuade Costco to stock this item a few years back but they are not receptive to the idea although I was the one who rallied to make them stock coconut water.

3 Likes

Philly Cheesesteak

IMG_20170926_123451898

It was delishus.

Chawanmushi.

Disclaimer: I did not make this.

just realized how bad my pictures were of the pastrami style salmon by duck trap
I am having it for lunch again with cream cheese and croissant
hope this picture is better43 PM

5 Likes

That salmon looks excellent

It is one of the best that I have had since I like a little spicy food.
Only other one I like is one in Noway but I think I like the spices here better. .Whenever I get a side, I buy the individual portioned 1 ounce cream cheeses, that comes in a box of 60 from Costco to eat with croissant or use for scrambled eggs.
We had guests for dinner last night. I served Patagonia shrimp cooked with lots of garlic , anchovies, chipotle with adobo sauce with roasted tomato and feta cheese . ( Did not take pictures). My son gave the guest some slices of the salmon to taste as he was bragging about the excellent salmon he just purchased. He was sold with mine. Willing to drive me to Oceano Blvd ( an hour away) next time I plan to go as he wants a side.

Go Sparty !

Bunless Detroit style Coney islands.

Korean dumplings, chikn nuggets, kimchi

IMG_20171001_125734520

Thai red curry with chicken & eggplant.

Steak tacos

And pulled pork tacos.

So steak tacos and pulled pork tacos.

Taco Tisdag!

download (1)

With melted pure chocolate.

2 different pumpkin spreads, 1 is savoury and the other is slightly sweetened with maple syrup.

More figs whilst they last.

3 Likes

Avocado toast topped with pea tendrils, peas, radish, and pickled red onions. A nice fresh and light lunch on a day when the weather has spiked back up to 95.

5 Likes

Grim weekend. Very stormy, windy and dark. Not only that, it rains buckets. But lunch satisfies my inner Austrian.

Dumplings with pureed kabocha squash.

I only used egg whites for some contrast, otherwise everything would just be yellow. In Austria these are called “Eiernockerln”, dumplings with eggs.

Made 2 kinds of dumplings with the same ingredients, the yellowish ones have pumpkin puree and Speck.

These are “kaspressknödeln” (“squeeze cheese” dumplings) served with a savoury broth. Basically it’s bread and cheese formed into balls and slightly flattened. Then fry, or bake. I baked mine out of convenience. When you make a big batch it takes too long to fry them all.

The same dumplings in Styria have Speck in them. I also added pumpkin puree to make it seasonal.

I like both but the additions of Speck and pumpkin puree make them even more delicious.

The better the cheese the nicer the dumplings.

4 Likes