What's for Lunch 2017

See? he can cook!

2 Likes

lazy
he only did it bec I am quite busy, making spring rolls
will post later

Miss ramen with shrimp, egg & gyoza:

2 Likes

That’s funny. My breakfast and dinner yesterday were a handful of pistachios. It’s too hot to eat!

You put gyoza in your ramen? You sir, are a mad genius.

(Did your see the Texas A&M v. UCLA game??)

1 Like

Store bought chicken samosas with a shredded veggie salad (cabbage, carrots, arugula, snap peas, and corn dressed with a bit of mayo. Saracha, sesame oil, and lime juice).

Beef heart tomato.

Sticky rice again.

The colour comes from annatto seeds briefly fried in some oil to release the colour.

There’s coconut water in the glutinous rice in both things.

3 Likes

Today

2 Likes

Yesterday:

2 Likes

Wanted to use burrata but there was none left. This is buffalo mozzarella. It’s twice the size of standard mozzarella. Olive oil, lime juice, mixed (pounded) peppercorns.

Made a batch of beetroot dumplings and some of it went in here.

Dumpling skins and Sichuan chilies with sesame oil added.

I want to use up all the chives in the garden before I go away at the end of the week. Minced tempeh with some chicken powder and Vietnamese deep fried shallots as filling for the dumplings. They were nice and you wouldn’t have thought they contained no meat. Tempeh has a firm texture and a unique taste, almost mushroom-y.

4 Likes

Carne asada tacos with machengo cheese

Moros y Cristos

1 Like

That looks delicious! What’s your recipe?

Sautee a one chopped fresh cubanelle or anaheim pepper, half a yellow onion, and 1 clove garlic in a little EVO, bacon fat, or lard.

Add one can black beans with liquid and cook until liquid is reduced.

Add one to two cups cooked rice and mix all the way through.

Garnish with cilantro and green onion.

It’s a great way to use leftover white rice.

Another is red beans and rice which is similar except you use sausage, celery, carrot onion, bell pepper and garlic and you use small red beans instead of the black beans.

2 Likes

Thanks for 2 versions, I will try to get hold of cubanelle or anaheim peppers…and the black beans. If I can’t, I can at least cook the second version.

Any relatively mild pepper should work, unless of course you like extra zip.

This is what we refer to as a cubanelle, which would be the most authentic pepper for the dish:

In Italy, and especially Sicily, they are known as frying peppers, or friarielli and/or friggitelli.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friariello_(gastronomia)

You may be able to find them at an Italian green grocer or open air market in Paris, they are pretty common. They are different from peperone (bell peppers) or peperoncini (hot peppers) so be sure you check carefully, Sometimes the peperoncini look similar.

Black beans are really common in Portuguese cuisine, so you may be able to find them canned at an Iberian grocer. If not, they should be available dry at almost any health food store. They are pretty easy to soak, and cook up in about 45 minutes from dry.

Black Beans are a staple in the Brazilian National Dish, Feijoada, which is one of the most delicious things on the planet;

Here is the Wikipedia entry for Moros y Cristianos:

Rather than doing a full fledged sofrito, I like to leave the peppers and onions chunky and a little al dente.

It is almost always served with Tostones, or fried plaintains:

These two dishes are pretty much the main stays of Cuban and Puerto Rican cuisine.

2 Likes

Burger at Zoe’s Vintage Kitchen

Tempeh balls seasoned with some chicken powder and Vietnamese deep-fried shallots. I used rendered rib-eye fat to fry them, with chunks of fresh turmeric thrown in for colour.

Make the balls smaller next time.

Can never roll anything worth a damn but that doesn’t stop me from making these. Leftover tofu got sliced and added to the rolls.

A warning to anyone who wants to get a package of frozen Vietnamese pork rinds: package doesn’t look so big until you thaw and open it! I made several dishes with this one package alone.

It was a miserable, dark and gloomy day. And on top of that the opaque rice paper sheets hindered the focusing on the camera.

2 Likes

Last lunch this week.

https://i.imgur.com/UpVsKff.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TmHZvNE.jpg

I have wolfed down 16 figs in a couple of days, mostly directly from my hand. It’s so good as is, no time and no need to add ham or other things.

4 Likes

Lunch today is simple
chicken wings dusted with baking powder and dried on a rack in fridge overnight
then dusted it with equal amount of chili, garlic and onion powder( am out of paprika)
cooked in turbo broiler, 250 degrees for 30 minutes, then 425 degrees for 1 hours
served with wing sauce.( wing sauce in the photo almost empty but have new bottle)
Including picture of my fall garden bulbs that are blooming now. Planted 2000 fall bulbs, but fighting with he squirrels and groundhog who thinks they are their cuisine for the quarter
This one is the red lycoris radiata, the white ones have faded.
The Oxblood have also faded but there are more sprouting up.
Lots of colchicum and crocuses sprouting, ( friends suggested I collect the stamen of the crocus for saffron. Ha ! Ha! Little do they really how much stamen I need to get a pinch of saffron.

3 Likes