What's for Lunch 2017

Faroe Islands salmon briefly cured with scotch and grated beetroot.

5kg of asparagus so far.

Hope to see @linguafood on the lunch thread (and WFD) more now that’s she’s back in Germany. The only time she’s around these days :joy:

2 Likes

We had one piece of leftover fried chicken from dinner so we made a salad and some buttermilk blue cheese dressing.

3 Likes

I made a Leibovitz salad of lentils, toasted walnuts and goat cheese. Delish!

2 Likes

And I thought that I had thought of everything. Guess not! Yesterday was sunday, I brought some food for dinner. Today is May 1st, everything is closed. I completely forgot about May 1st! Everything is closed again, of course. Brought these “just in case”, and well, today is that “just in case” moment. Can’t get bread for lunch anywhere and nowhere is open to eat this morning. I have brought cheese and other stuff for lunch but without bread it could wait.

Followed by cheese and beer, with the Mosel river in the background.

Mosel river. A long barge is about to make a turn at this sharp river bend.

3 Likes

Finally, bread! Everything here besides the bread I brought with me for yesterday’s first lunch but that didn’t happen.

Smoked sprats (Germany), smoked cod liver (Spain), whitting roe pâté (Portugal).

Good bread! I love bread so much! So much that I could forgo all other carbs.

I still have enough Hungarian charcuterie to last me a little while. These 2 are grey cattle and Mangalitsa salamis.

I took a bite of each and that was quite enough. The partner has a far higher sugar threshold. I have a high fat/salt/chilli pepper/bitter threshold.

Sodding hell, it’s still raining and gloomy. My “wanderlust*” plans are faltering. (*Wanderlust: German compound noun. Literal meaning: a strong desire to go hiking)

4 Likes

First lunch since I got home yesterday evening. Cream, cheese and asparagus for both meals today.

I rarely make a thick sauce for asparagus. The partner likes this sauce a lot. Just warmed up some cream in a saucepan and added lots of grated cheese, stirred until smooth. Topped with crisp-fried Tyrolean Speck.

2 Likes

SoCal spring is basically summer so lunch outside today. Soyriso tacos, guac sauce, and some homemade pickled veggies.

2 Likes

I can’t roll anything and rice paper is really annoying to work with. You can see my rubbish rolling skills in this photo…

I’m a sea rabbit. Inside the rolls there are only vegs (asparagus, radicchio lettuce, baby turnips and their greens, chives etc). The pretty red strips are shaved asparagus which has been soaked in beetroot water.

Made this for the partner who loved it. Rhubarb with fig jelly, on the base and on top.

Tea with the pastry. Brought it back from Uji (between Nara and Kyoto).

3 Likes

In northern Germany there’s a matjes herring dish like this but with green beans. I use green asparagus because it’s seasonal. Maatjes from my fishmonger, where I eat them every week. They are already fat and buttery but will continue to become more so with every catch.

Crisp-fried Speck, potatoes were fried in the same fat later.

Again, seasonal “Strammer Max”. A general term in German for (toasted) bread topped with ham and runny egg.

The ham, “Black Forest Ham”.

More asparagus, of course. Grated cured yolk.

http://i.imgur.com/DDApMov.jpg

3 Likes

Tomatoes, basil, truffle cheese and fresh mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and balsamic. And a few caper berries.

5 Likes

We have a 4-day weekend here so yeah I have time to make warm lunches.

Tortillas but looks more like frittatas. I broke this one trying to flip it. Back to slipping it under the grill to finish the top.

The other one has Speck, the only additional ingredient.

Sesame-crusted asparagus. Sauce is miso with some sesame oil and rice wine.

The black stuff is ground toasted black sesame seeds (in case I wanted to mix it with the miso?..).

Poached egg novice. Something so simple but I am not good at it. This one is acceptable, though.

All the chives blossoms in the garden have opened.

5 Likes

Stunning as usual. And I am making that salad for dinner tonight!

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your salad!

Took my niece and nephew to Korean. They have never had it, but both are pretty adventurous eaters. They loved it.

We had potstickers, veggie pancakes, bibimbap, tofu hot pot, bulgogi, and japchae.

7 Likes

Yesterday, we had our first al fresco meal at home this year. My blog post: Memorial Day Weekend Lunch on the Patio.

My Blog
My Flickr

Just puréed chickpeas with a dollop of crème fraîche so not exactly houmous.

Merguez mince was removed from the sausage casing then fried. Made a well in the middle of the chickpea purée for the mince.

Asparagus in the oven today. We enjoyed the “tarts” even though I am rubbish at baking.

There’s crème fraîche underneath.

3 Likes

Last day of Pentecost long weekend here. Leftover chickpea purée got beetroot added to it. The leaves were sauéted with some butter. Salad was millet, tomatoes, sous vide’ed rhubarb, fresh thyme, mustard cress etc. Merguez on top.

Does this have a name? I warmed some cream with cut-up asparagus. Asparagus was removed and soften gelatin leaves added to the cream. Poured into glasses and chill to set. Sous vide’ed rhubarb and its liquid went on top of the cream, garnished with soften asparagus tips.

2 Likes

I’d call that asparagus panna cotta

Thanks. After posting I checked my notes and indeed I did write “asparagus panna cotta”.

German food is scoffed at, Austrian food is almost unknown. Poor Germany. Poor Austria.

Austrian Spätzle with Speck. Quite a bit of lemon balm from the garden in it.

The whole thing in sauté pan.

Goat’s cheese Panna Cotta. The cream has pure goat’s cheese as a base, the toppings are slightly different. Perfect for hot weather but does take some time to make as you have to chill it in stages. Certainly if you have more layers.

With beetroot and grated salt-cured yolk.

With rosemary and honeycomb. This one is the only one that has some sweetness from the honey but it goes perfectly with goat’s cheese and rosemary so it still does not taste like a “dessert”.

More lemon balm from the garden.

My Chinese tea cups. I pulled them out of the cupboard forgetting about the lids. One fell on the counter and broke in half. Hope I can glue it back together (lid of the white cup). I got the tea cups in different places. From left to back, to right: Xiamen, China. Budapest and Taipei. Last one is made of glass.

4 Likes